Windows 10

Man of Honour
I have had to change registry settings to reduce Window titlebar sizes as this isn't exposed anywhere, and this only affects Win32 apps, not the "universal" apps or whatever they are called)

Yeah this is a pain and annoyingly the setting (via registry tweaks) gets partially sync'd between my installs that use the same MS login but with unpredictable results :(

Caporegime
Is game mode worth bothering with?

Are there any settings that are advisable to tweak right from the off?

Also, twice now the screen has gone blank after leaving the PC to idle for a lengthy period. A restart sorts it, though after the second time I had to reconfigure the display in settings as for some reason it had reset itself to a very low resolution. No idea why it's doing it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Known issue - they had a problem with the activation servers yesterday and seems some residual fallout still today - check what version Windows thinks the OS is after it appears to be running OK as some people (apparently) have had what appears to be an actual downgrade to home which means their system won't stay activated with their Pro key until they repair/upgrade or reinstall.

V F

V F

Soldato
Known issue - they had a problem with the activation servers yesterday and seems some residual fallout still today - check what version Windows thinks the OS is after it appears to be running OK as some people (apparently) have had what appears to be an actual downgrade to home which means their system won't stay activated with their Pro key until they repair/upgrade or reinstall.

Hmm, are the activation servers all related to all versions? As I had Windows 7 on most of yesterday and never had any deactivation issues. It's been on every evening.

Man of Honour
Hmm, are the activation servers all related to all versions? As I had Windows 7 on most of yesterday and never had any deactivation issues. It's been on every evening.

This problem seems specific to Windows 10 Pro and even then doesn't seem to affect all users of that version though it is relatively widespread - not seen any issues with 7, etc. reported personally but quite likely there will be some collateral with other OSes as they try to fix the problem and/or due to the servers being busy if there are a lot of 10 pro users try to recover their installation in a small space of time.

V F

V F

Soldato
With all the issues occurring within the past month or two, it sure feels like Microsoft has gotten a lot worse recently.

Soldato
Tempted to go back to Win7 after the morning I've had. Booted up my PC to a blank screen. Could see the HD lights and keyboard lights working so I assumed it was a gpu issue - turns out that the NV driver has somehow updated itself despite me specifying no 3rd party software in the Win10 Updates section. No this wasn't the Geforce Experience program doing this either.

It's bad enough that I'm getting software like Sticky Notes auto installed without my permission and wanting to utilise my MS account so they can farm more data. I just feel like it isn't my PC most of the time these days.

Man of Honour
I just wish there was more support for gaming on macOS. The only time I use Windows is for games or work, everything else is done on my MacBook.

V F

V F

Soldato
Tempted to go back to Win7 after the morning I've had. Booted up my PC to a blank screen. Could see the HD lights and keyboard lights working so I assumed it was a gpu issue - turns out that the NV driver has somehow updated itself despite me specifying no 3rd party software in the Win10 Updates section. No this wasn't the Geforce Experience program doing this either.

It's bad enough that I'm getting software like Sticky Notes auto installed without my permission and wanting to utilise my MS account so they can farm more data. I just feel like it isn't my PC most of the time these days.

Microsoft knows best.

Soldato
Is windows defender good enough to remove a Trojan?

Downloaded an app earlier that was flagged up as being a Trojan, it was dealt with by windows and I've used malware bytes which found nothing, should I do a more thorough check? If so, what can?

Man of Honour
LOL "Moreover, it turned out that the issue had been reported to the Feedback Hub, but it hadn't been upvoted enough times for anyone to notice." I love that seeing they also persistently have ignored many of the most upvoted entries as well because it doesn't fit what they want to see, etc.

They are pushing ahead with the 19H1 release so I suspect 1809 has been depreciated in favour of putting effort into the next release(s).

EDIT: The funny thing is I foresaw a lot of these problems earlier in the thread and got no end of stick for it and even some personal attacks from certain individuals who've gone silent now :s

V F

V F

Soldato
It's funny when once you could have trusted Microsoft and I left Auto Updates selected from the XP days until they started forcing GMX through Windows 7 and any dodgy patches being reported. That was when I had check for updates only.

Remember when Windows Update was browser based through 95/98/2000... Checking what items you did or didn't want.

I simply don't trust Microsoft with their patches anymore now since they're so good at breaking things. I don't want to be their beta testers. Testers telling them and being ignored... How can one have faith in them.

Soldato
Ive just looks through a few pages and wondering why havent I had any probs with win10? I have been using it for 3 yrs now and had very little probs with it, it just kind of just works.

I have the auto updates disabled and check it manually once or twice a month and have it set to reboot once a week early in the morning, as I use sleep now instead of shutdown because I use my pc as a media server aswell so it needs to spring into life fast.

It must be just luck, but it is lovely when things just work as I cant be bothered fighting with things nowadays. Too old, only 38 but still Im getting to that point in life where I can't be bothered spending hrs to get stuff working.

Back
Top Bottom