Windows 10

Associate
Thanks Dirk,
I'll double check that tonight when I get in - fingers crossed not seen the updating screen since I restored my PC and put that script on.

I'm definitely going to have to get a new PC but hopefully this will leave this one stable as a back up device when things go **** up on my main machine (similar to how I had to make a new Rufus install of Win 10 to access my back up image of this PC on Sunday which would have been impossible without a stable Win 7 machine on the network). Oh well was hoping to wait until things got cheaper...

Man of Honour
Quite ****** off with Windows 10 right now - was trying to sort out some financial stuff and booted up my tablet only for it to launch into a big update for 1809 that has only just been enabled for this device - with only a 30 minute window I had to mess about on my phone to get stuff done - this was around 5pm - I left it going on battery power and battery was probably pretty low by the time I got to somewhere I could put it on mains power - and now at nearly 2am it is still sitting at 18% on the "working on updates" part (it is working just slowly).

Not even having a button to pause the update process (when booted into the OS) is inconsiderate as ****.

I guess I'm going to have to use the scripts linked before, for reasons including security I've resisted using 3rd party programs to control updates, for a few reasons they aren't a perfect solution for my use either compared to having proper manual control over updates within the OS.

(This is a higher spec tablet with 8GB of RAM and fast(ish) storage - not one of the 2GB jobbies).

Soldato
Quite ****** off with Windows 10 right now - was trying to sort out some financial stuff and booted up my tablet only for it to launch into a big update for 1809 that has only just been enabled for this device - with only a 30 minute window I had to mess about on my phone to get stuff done - this was around 5pm - I left it going on battery power and battery was probably pretty low by the time I got to somewhere I could put it on mains power - and now at nearly 2am it is still sitting at 18% on the "working on updates" part (it is working just slowly).

Not even having a button to pause the update process (when booted into the OS) is inconsiderate as ****.

I guess I'm going to have to use the scripts linked before, for reasons including security I've resisted using 3rd party programs to control updates, for a few reasons they aren't a perfect solution for my use either compared to having proper manual control over updates within the OS.

(This is a higher spec tablet with 8GB of RAM and fast(ish) storage - not one of the 2GB jobbies).

I guess that from your GPD Pocket 2 tablet?

I got brand new Surface Pro 6 tablet with Core i5 & 128GB SSD & Windows 10 Home & signature type cover bundle at bargain price on Black Friday, updated to 1809 fine and then found 5 small updates on Patch Tuesday which included a security update for Adobe Player updated to latest build 17763.194. Very nice tablet, much faster than my old Linux 10 tablet.

Don't know why you need manual control when Windows 10 1809 had only 1 security update. If I were you then I would disable Windows Update in Task Manager then restart Windows Update.

Man of Honour
I guess that from your GPD Pocket 2 tablet?

I got brand new Surface Pro 6 tablet with Core i5 & 128GB SSD & Windows 10 Home & signature type cover bundle at bargain price on Black Friday, updated to 1809 fine and then found 5 small updates on Patch Tuesday which included a security update for Adobe Player updated to latest build 17763.194. Very nice tablet, much faster than my old Linux 10 tablet.

Don't know why you need manual control when Windows 10 1809 had only 1 security update. If I were you then I would disable Windows Update in Task Manager then restart Windows Update.

Yes - I have two of them - the other one updated today fairly quickly after I manually checked to try and avoid interruption (hah) in the immediate future - looks like some kind of block has just been lifted for 1809 on this device and I get 2 big cumulative updates and around 5 smaller updates at once.

The other one finished at around 3:45am in the end.

I find it particularly obnoxious that the update process happily runs when on battery power as well as generally people want to get as much life out of their battery as possible - quite funny that it sits there saying please don't turn off your PC when if the battery is low then you have no choice over that. Idiots!

V F

V F

Soldato
Yes - I have two of them - the other one updated today fairly quickly after I manually checked to try and avoid interruption (hah) in the immediate future - looks like some kind of block has just been lifted for 1809 on this device and I get 2 big cumulative updates and around 5 smaller updates at once.

The other one finished at around 3:45am in the end.

I find it particularly obnoxious that the update process happily runs when on battery power as well as generally people want to get as much life out of their battery as possible - quite funny that it sits there saying please don't turn off your PC when if the battery is low then you have no choice over that. Idiots!

It's funny that Apple will disable update installs if it's below 50% and tells you to plug it in to continue the process.

Associate
Went to relax with a strong drink and come back to Windows having installed 1809 and it keeps telling me a device is unplugged... piece of crap...

Anybody having issues?

Soldato
Can anyone tell me how much space a typical Windows 10 install takes up?

Ive got an Intel NUC that I'm thinking of re-purposing into a basic desktop but the SSD in it is only 32GB!

Also, am I right in saying a fully featured Windows 10 licence is only a tenner these days or am I missing something? (I remember it being north of £80 for Windows in the past!)

Man of Honour
Also, anbody had any problems with "Realtek Audio Drivers" ?? Keep getting an error about it being unplugged..

That isn't a Windows 10 issue - it sometimes happens intermittently with Realtek devices from time to time seemingly starting and stopping at random - there are various fixes online - one being to enable or disable automatic jack detection in the registry.

Can anyone tell me how much space a typical Windows 10 install takes up?

Ive got an Intel NUC that I'm thinking of re-purposing into a basic desktop but the SSD in it is only 32GB!

Also, am I right in saying a fully featured Windows 10 licence is only a tenner these days or am I missing something? (I remember it being north of £80 for Windows in the past!)

A proper license is around £80 - there are various ones floating around for less with varying degrees of legitimacy - some are genuinely unused OEM, etc. others have been salvaged and/or misused with a high chance they will be blocked down the line.

While Windows 10 will install at around 3-4GB it will quickly take up enough space you will struggle with applying future updates on a 32GB device - I can't install 1809 at all now on my older 2GB/32GB tablet even when trying to use the external storage options.

Soldato
A proper license is around £80 - there are various ones floating around for less with varying degrees of legitimacy - some are genuinely unused OEM, etc. others have been salvaged and/or misused with a high chance they will be blocked down the line.

While Windows 10 will install at around 3-4GB it will quickly take up enough space you will struggle with applying future updates on a 32GB device - I can't install 1809 at all now on my older 2GB/32GB tablet even when trying to use the external storage options.

Thanks for the reply - the sub-£10 price I've seen is off the Rainforest - surely they wouldn't engage in selling a dodgy copy??

Regards the install size - that can't be right surely? If the initial install is 3-4GB, surely 28GB of additional space is sufficient for subsequent updates? (Storage-wise the person I've got this is mind for wont need more that a couple of GB tops - he basically browses the internet and reads emails!)

Man of Honour
surely they wouldn't engage in selling a dodgy copy??

Check the reviews also see my comment here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32151663/ :( unfortunately the fulfilled by Amazon sellers of Windows 10 on there about 80% seem to just be selling any old keys along with what appears to be authentic USB key and packaging.

The install size quickly seems to grow with Windows 10 with use and comes to a point on those 32GB devices you are struggling to be able to apply the latest updates.

Soldato
Check the reviews also see my comment here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32151663/ :( unfortunately the fulfilled by Amazon sellers of Windows 10 on there about 80% seem to just be selling any old keys along with what appears to be authentic USB key and packaging.

The install size quickly seems to grow with Windows 10 with use and comes to a point on those 32GB devices you are struggling to be able to apply the latest updates.

Thanks!

Caporegime
Microsoft and Secret Windows 10 Data Collection – The Stories Don’t Stop…

Windows 10 sends your “Activity History” to Microsoft, even when you thought you told it not to
It appears that the problem comes from Microsoft using the same term for two settings, first noticed by the folks at HTG. The company may have messed up yet again, but this time it’s not about secretly receiving data, but more about the lack of making straightforward design choices and having a clear naming strategy. Here’s some background.

Introduced with the April 2018 Update, the Timeline feature allows users to resume working on their projects. This feature depends on “Activity History” of apps you launch on your machines – the data that is shared with Microsoft. When a user clears this history, they would expect that Microsoft won’t have any further record of this data. However, some users on Reddit spotted that Microsoft’s Privacy Dashboard still showed “Activity History” of apps. But that history was being kept thanks to diagnostics data, not Timeline.

Whether this data appears in your Privacy Dashboard depends on what options you selected under Diagnostics & Feedback. As shared with our readers earlier, you have to choose “Basic” if you don’t want your Windows 10 powered device to send all of the data to Microsoft. In a statement, Microsoft confirmed this confusing usage of “Activity History,” which remains misleading no matter how you explain it.

https://wccftech.com/windows-10-data-collection-microsoft/

Associate
I have Store and Apps removed, Timeline disabled and Shutup10 enabled. Think i'm good. This is of course personal preference. I don't believe in any way that MS are like Facebook or Google. The Telemetry is there to help them make a better product and to deliver updates safely. Whether or not it's achieved that ambition (it hasn't), is neither here nor there.

Of course the argument could be made that they shouldn't have fired all their QA people, instead of making the public their personal Beta test group.

Back
Top Bottom