Windows 10

Man of Honour
Very OS X.

Obviously not really Windows 11 and heavy Mac influence but on the plus side atleast it has a consistent design approach and can easily be adapted to stylise earlier OSes while still retaining the improvements of the newer approach. It just shows how poor Windows 10 really is.

Permabanned
Obviously not really Windows 11 and heavy Mac influence but on the plus side atleast it has a consistent design approach and can easily be adapted to stylise earlier OSes while still retaining the improvements of the newer approach. It just shows how poor Windows 10 really is.

Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows. Ever. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-last-version-windows-ever/
Microsoft is sick of you not upgrading, and has a solution: Windows 10 will be the final “version” of Windows. Ever.

This is called Windows As A Service, and it’s a big deal. To understand what it means, think of Gmail or Facebook: longtime users know these services have changed over the years, but there aren’t “versions” of them. There’s no Facebook XP, or Gmail 7 – there’s just Facebook, and Gmail, both of which change over time.

Windows, apparently, is going to be like that. Microsoft’s Terry Myers explains:

And just like any Internet service, the idea of asking ‘What version are you on?’ will cease to make sense.

This is a big change from Redmond. Even more surprising: Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for current Windows 7 and 8 users. What’s Microsoft’s plan here? They want Windows 10 to be the dominant desktop operating system – bigger than Windows 7 – quickly, to speed up development and ensure Windows’ longterm dominance as a desktop operating system.

Man of Honour
Can't verify circumstances but tried to help someone today who claims their laptop just updated to 1809 and it has wiped all their my docs folder including coursework which has them pretty much hysterical :( I'm afraid I have limited sympathy due to lack of backups for something so important but still sucks for them - as I'm trying to deal with it through someone else a bit hard to try file recovery tools, etc. though I did recommend they just turned it off and got a professional to look at it.

EDIT: So yeah if you are using Windows 10 make sure you have anything important backed up - not that it doesn't go for any other OS.

Man of Honour
Not like that bug hasn't been in the news since they originally released 1809 in October .... but yeah, no backups, little sympathy.

It was supposedly fixed - I'm not in a position to confirm the exact circumstances though - might be they deleted them accidentally or something and blaming Windows.

EDIT: Definitely update related - a load of their files are in the Windows.old folder - not sure if it is everything yet.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What happens if they roll back to the older 1803? The files should be in their places, then, no?

They'd have to exist somewhere to be able to rollback and have them recovered and the risk is that doing anything including a rollback destroys any chances of recovering them via file recovery tools if they aren't recovered by a rollback.

Last I heard they'd found most stuff in the Windows.old folder except her photos which someone found a cloud backup of on her itunes account or something.

Caporegime
Microsoft Might Offer Windows 10 As a Subscription

Microsoft has been playing with subscription-based models of their software for a while now, much like Office 365. From the looks of things. From the looks of it Microsoft could soon do the same with their OS, that would be Windows 10 in a subscription form,

Microsoft is headhunting a product manager for a consumer product called Microsoft 365, this is a software package that was only offered to companies. Microsoft 365 is a monthly subscription service that includes Windows 10 and the Office 365 package. Based on a job advertisement, it is now deduced that Microsoft will also target the subscription service, which is currently aimed at business customers, to end users. It is believed that the package will include Outlook Mobile, Microsoft To Do, and some MSN apps.

The target audience would be huge and many users may even be happy to pay a monthly fee for a complete package of Windows 10, Office 365 and Mobility and Security.

https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/microsoft_might_offers_windows_10_as_a_subscription.html

Permabanned
It reminds me of Adobe. The majority will embrace it and it becomes the new standard.

I doubt it - more likely Windows will be replaced by a competitor. Users just wait for this and there will be mass protests :D
No one charges monthly fee - Adobe Reader is a free software, Android is a free OS, Linux, etc...

Soldato
Good luck to them I say. It will definitely be the death knell of Windows for me, although to be fair I rarely use it anymore. I certainly won't be paying a subscription. I also know a few of my mates have also said the same (not that Microsoft care about me and a *few of my mates* :))

Associate
The latest CU is an 800MB patch to fix a problem in Internet Exploder. Coming as it does in the third week, it's a 'Band C' update. Meaning it should appear if you use the 'Check for Updates' button. (Band C and D updates are hotfixes that are still being tested and will be included in the usual Patch Tuesday 'Band B' Update the following month)

This is why you shouldn't use the 'Check for Updates' button. MS assumes you're happy to test Band C and D updates if you do that.

Anyone here even have IE on their PC still? (It can be removed using 'Turn Windows Feature On or Off')

Man of Honour
This is why you shouldn't use the 'Check for Updates' button.

Ridiculous that it is triggered conditionally on that - it is obvious whoever is in charge of this at MS is completely and utterly unconnected to the realworld usage of their OS.

Back
Top Bottom