Windows 10

Associate
The latest CU is an 800MB patch to fix a problem in Internet Exploder. Coming as it does in the third week, it's a 'Band C' update. Meaning it should appear if you use the 'Check for Updates' button. (Band C and D updates are hotfixes that are still being tested and will be included in the usual Patch Tuesday 'Band B' Update the following month)

This is why you shouldn't use the 'Check for Updates' button. MS assumes you're happy to test Band C and D updates if you do that.

Anyone here even have IE on their PC still? (It can be removed using 'Turn Windows Feature On or Off')
Except that both my computers downloaded and installed this update without any interaction so all this stiff MS is taking about regarding band C and D updates only being downloaded when you hit check for updates is complete garbage.

Associate
Except that both my computers downloaded and installed this update without any interaction so all this stiff MS is taking about regarding band C and D updates only being downloaded when you hit check for updates is complete garbage.

If they think a security threat is significant enough it's probably a good idea to push it immediately.

More importantly, why do you still have Internet Exploder on your PC?

Associate
May I ask what Internet Exploder is and what does it do?

It used to be the dominant internet Browser, by way of being the only Internet Browser. It was made by Microsoft and bundled with Windows. It was a huge malware target, both by being as watertight as a sieve, and being the only target for all the nasties. It was also a Toolbar magnet. Many will remember well.

MS got a big slap on the wrist for being anti-competitive by the EU and had to stop providing it as the Default option. The 'Browser Selection' screen was born. As were other Browsers.

Now Edge is bundled with Windows but the EU don't care anymore because who uses Edge, and anyway why bother when you can just dip into Google's pockets instead. Never return to the same well.

IE still exists for some ungodly reason. Probably just to give security researchers an easy payday once in a while. It can be removed using 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' This probably only removes overt links to it from within Windows. The thing is probably still lurking like an unwelcome house guest.

V F

V F

Soldato
It used to be the dominant internet Browser, by way of being the only Internet Browser. It was made by Microsoft and bundled with Windows. It was a huge malware target, both by being as watertight as a sieve, and being the only target for all the nasties. It was also a Toolbar magnet. Many will remember well.

MS got a big slap on the wrist for being anti-competitive by the EU and had to stop providing it as the Default option. The 'Browser Selection' screen was born. As were other Browsers.

Now Edge is bundled with Windows but the EU don't care anymore because who uses Edge, and anyway why bother when you can just dip into Google's pockets instead. Never return to the same well.

IE still exists for some ungodly reason. Probably just to give security researchers an easy payday once in a while. It can be removed using 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' This probably only removes overt links to it from within Windows. The thing is probably still lurking like an unwelcome house guest.

Those were the days. Switching over to Mozilla browser in 2001 when it used to be Netscape. Then Phoenix beta came out before it was branded Firefox and all the extension galore.

Associate
Those were the days. Switching over to Mozilla browser in 2001 when it used to be Netscape. Then Phoenix beta came out before it was branded Firefox and all the extension galore.

Did you ever see the image of IE with every Toolbar under the sun installed? Like fifty Toolbars! How they even got it to run is nothing short of a miracle! :D

I see the IE patch was for a Zero Day exploit. Explains why it was pushed out in a hurry!

Man of Honour
Did you ever see the image of IE with every Toolbar under the sun installed? Like fifty Toolbars! How they even got it to run is nothing short of a miracle! :D

I see the IE patch was for a Zero Day exploit. Explains why it was pushed out in a hurry!

Talking about Zero Day exploits - I ran IE7 for many years because several sites I used for work, banking, etc. refused to run on anything else back then and it was too much hassle swapping between browsers - but I ran the process sandboxed (plus used a couple of other 3rd party programs that increased its security) - in the whole time I ran it only one occasion was it compromised which was a zero day ad hijack (the site that tried to infect me being Guru3D.com or rather their ad feed that had been compromised) that used some obscure bug in iframe functionality - the exploit went straight through all the mainstream browsers at the time so using something else wouldn't have helped.

Was pretty happy when Firefox became more rounded out as a browser and sites started moving away from the silly IE only restrictions.

For a long time, until around the time they moved away from Webkit, Chrome was easy to exploit via one of the confirmation dialogs as well - if you clicked on anything other than force closing it - even the cancel button it would still execute malicious code - quite annoying actually as it was basically the same issue as an old, old vulnerability in Internet Explorer and took them ages to sort it.

V F

V F

Soldato

Heh! Yeah. Could barely see the webpage.

Associate
If they think a security threat is significant enough it's probably a good idea to push it immediately.

More importantly, why do you still have Internet Exploder on your PC?
I don't touch internet exploder with a 10000 foot barge pole even to download another browser on a new install as I have a ninite installer that deals with all that.

Soldato

well were are about to head out of the EU, so......

Man of Honour
Had it restart on me today (dialogue came up with "Restarting...") completely unprompted and with no warning and start applying updates... on battery power, while in the middle of doing something to entertain the kids during Christmas day.

Associate
Just came up mid game (alt tabbing me out) "Windows 10 has experienced an error and must restart in a minute".

Thanks Microsoft.

You're welcome.

Bill.

There's a new TV show i was watching recently called Succession. In one episode a character goes on a rant about Windows updating when he's trying to get something done. He fumes, "get Bill Gates on the phone". Very topical.

Permabanned
There are warnings, maybe someone else saw them but let the clock ticking. I mean if you go to Windows Update, install important updates, a clock timing appears as to when later the restart will happen. Someone missed it.

Back
Top Bottom