Windows 10

Soldato
Thinking about it, I'm not sure why I leave UAC on and what benefits it offers me. I use ESET Internet Security which I trust to pick up any baddies and don't use Wndows Defender.

Associate
Before the latest update everytime I booted up the pc it would check for updates but now it doesn't seem to do that, last time was on the 3rd August. Has it changed or is something screwed up?

Man of Honour
Before the latest update everytime I booted up the pc it would check for updates but now it doesn't seem to do that, last time was on the 3rd August. Has it changed or is something screwed up?

Have you looked in the advanced options under the update section of settings? they changed the way some updates stuff is handled in 1903 to reduce how often update related tasks were busy in the background and added new options. I'm not near a Windows 10 PC that is updated to that new at the moment to check.

https://www.howtogeek.com/410183/microsoft-abandons-windows-10s-forced-updates/

Soldato
Some of the security issues patched in two recent updates are quite concerning - at least they are getting fixed but should not have existed in the first place.

You know Microsoft there are always security fixes/updates, been that way for decades, to be honest I would be very surprised to see none of them, I expect more security updates down the road. Updates installed fine for me but I had to restart with one update installed before the other would download and install after the reboot, went smooth however.

Man of Honour
You know Microsoft there are always security fixes/updates, been that way for decades, to be honest I would be very surprised to see none of them, I expect more security updates down the road. Updates installed fine for me but I had to restart with one update installed before the other would download and install after the reboot, went smooth however.

There has been an increasing number of serious security issues that should never have gotten into a live release in the first place - obviously a small number are going to happen no matter how good the developer is but the numbers are getting worse and that shouldn't be happening - especially the number of remote code execution and privilege elevation vulnerabilities that have been fixed in some of the more recent updates.

More to the point though I'm having a bit of a dig at those trumping 10 over 7 on security as they really aren't covering themselves in glory at MS on that aspect albeit they are fairly quickly fixing the issues at the moment but that doesn't really excuse them in the first place.

Soldato
There has been an increasing number of serious security issues that should never have gotten into a live release in the first place - obviously a small number are going to happen no matter how good the developer is but the numbers are getting worse and that shouldn't be happening - especially the number of remote code execution and privilege elevation vulnerabilities that have been fixed in some of the more recent updates.

More to the point though I'm having a bit of a dig at those trumping 10 over 7 on security as they really aren't covering themselves in glory at MS on that aspect albeit they are fairly quickly fixing the issues at the moment but that doesn't really excuse them in the first place.

I think hackers nowadays are more clever then the older generation, they like a challenge and Microsoft OS ie Win10 at present is an easy target, to be honest I find Win10 pretty secure in my use, last security issue I had was with WinXP and we all know how fall of holes that was back then. Do I think 10 is more secure then 7 well yes, however the more you bolt on or add new features to an OS like 10, the more chance hackers will find a weak or vulnerable point in the OS. Weak point is the person not the OS, people cause the issues in the first place ie hackers or people not updating etc, OS can only do so much, we are the virus end of the day in more ways then one.

Remember 7 is being phased out so more hackers will jump onto 10 for their wicked ways.

Caporegime
Thats much better, i forgot to do the bloody ClearType, no wonder me text was bold as **** :p

Went into the Fonts, to see if could find something to change it, and soon as i spotted the ClearType, 'Thats it!, i didn't do that on here' :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think hackers nowadays are more clever then the older generation, they like a challenge and Microsoft OS ie Win10 at present is an easy target, to be honest I find Win10 pretty secure in my use, last security issue I had was with WinXP and we all know how fall of holes that was back then. Do I think 10 is more secure then 7 well yes, however the more you bolt on or add new features to an OS like 10, the more chance hackers will find a weak or vulnerable point in the OS. Weak point is the person not the OS, people cause the issues in the first place ie hackers or people not updating etc, OS can only do so much, we are the virus end of the day in more ways then one.

Remember 7 is being phased out so more hackers will jump onto 10 for their wicked ways.

I think one aspect that has changed is that more people with highly advanced understandings of mathematical, etc. concepts are now exposed to computers and the internet in a way that was much less the case even 10 years ago - people who not only understand how a system works but also the theory behind every aspect and can comprehend any area of the system as a mathematical abstract, etc. identifying patterns and weaknesses that only a very few people would understand.

Man of Honour
Updated a laptop to latest Windows 10 updates today and it has broken power management :rolleyes: now it is permanently showing 3% battery remaining with estimated 4 days of battery life LOL (can see the real battery status in the BIOS and when starting up). With battery saver randomly kicking in every half hour and the system randomly going to sleep.

Be nice if one day they actually got down to making the core OS robust instead of spending massive amounts of developer time on features no one has ever needed, wants or asked for.

Soldato
Updated a laptop to latest Windows 10 updates today and it has broken power management :rolleyes: now it is permanently showing 3% battery remaining with estimated 4 days of battery life LOL (can see the real battery status in the BIOS and when starting up). With battery saver randomly kicking in every half hour and the system randomly going to sleep.

Be nice if one day they actually got down to making the core OS robust instead of spending massive amounts of developer time on features no one has ever needed, wants or asked for.

I'm actually updating my PC laptop right now, I'll let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom