Windows 10

Soldato
I miss the times of Service Packs.

Even Service packs are just as bad, I remember recommending to a female friend to install SP2 for XP many years ago, guess what?... Yes it broke her PC and I did feel bad about recommending SP2, fact is there are always users that will have a bad experience or issues with updates. Nothing nobody can do about that, not even Microsoft, no company is 100% perfect which is not surprising with the amount of software and hardware out there, let alone the OS itself.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
I never really had issues with service packs. That and testing was more thorough back then with Microsoft compared to today.

Soldato
I never really had issues with service packs. That and testing was more thorough back then with Microsoft compared to today.

I never had issues with Service packs but as you know there are people that have. I've been lucky in decades with PC use on both Windows and Linux, only thing you can do is make sure all your important software etc is backed up, I also keep copy of latest Win10 and Linux on USB just in case. So far never had to use any of my backups. Windows nowadays is getting more complicated, I remember DOS 6.22 fitting on three 1.44MB floppies, try that with any Windows lol , even games are getting larger and larger, 10GB plus patches for games is not uncommon.

:)

Man of Honour
Had some issues with service packs from time to time but that was mostly because the Windows update process has always been less than ideal. Service packs generally were tested to a higher degree than the updates we get today though.

Nothing nobody can do about that, not even Microsoft, no company is 100% perfect which is not surprising with the amount of software and hardware out there, let alone the OS itself.

This is the crux of my argument against the implementation of updates in 10 - no one has perfected updates though some manage better than Microsoft and Windows update hasn't exactly got a glowing record over the years so proper manual control of updates is important. A forced update system when you (Microsoft) seemingly can't even be bothered to test updates properly is just retarded.

Soldato
KB4505903 brings a long list of bugs and errors for many users - Windows Report

Microsoft recently rolled out Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4505903 for Windows 10 version 1903. Although the update resolved many of the problems that initially came the update, it also brings issues of its own.

The list of issues is so long that it was difficult to cover them all in a single article. In this post, we listed some of the most commen problems that you may encounter after installing KB4505903.

KB4505903 reported bugs
Audio shuttering bug

The Windows 10 update KB4505903 brings audio Shuttering with Ryzen 3000 processors. One Reddit user who managed to resolve the problem shared a quick workaround to get rid of this problem.

I had issues when I upgraded to Ryzen 3000. I wasn’t sure what it was, but it was happening every minute, sometimes 2-3 times per minute when audio was playing. I moved my pagefile to another drive and did some driver cleaning/updating along with updating Windows to 1903 and it solved it.

DPC latency issues

Microsoft fixed some DPC latency issues in the recent release. However, people reported that some of them still exist.

I’m still getting stuttering for audio and video. LatencyMon is showing high latency for dxgkrnl.sys and storport.sys. Didn’t fix anything related to latency as far as I can tell. Had to roll back. Previous versions of Windows works great. I used the ISO to do the update.

Windows Sandbox doesn’t work

Apparently, the recent release fixed Windows Sandbox issues only for some Windows 10 users. Someone explained that:

From OP’s changelog apparently the problem is still worked on and has not been addresed with this update. No idea why suddenly it works for me. But I am pretty sure that this update fixed it for me. I tested that sandbox was not working just before the update and was the first thing I launched after the update.

However, some people are still experiencing the same problem.

Mine does still not work…

Action center transparency bug

A previous release introduced Action center transparency issues in Windows 10. Unfortunately, Microsoft didn’t fix the issue in the recent release.

I can’t believe they don’t fix the action center transparency bug..omg..it is sooo annoying.

Driver compatibility and BSoD issues

Many people reported that their Bluetooth and Wifi are not working fine after installing KB4505903. Furthermore, some of them were also affected by BSoD bugs.

I rolled back from 1903 after a day of use. Unfortunately the update seems to play havoc with my wifi and bluetooth. And on my wife’s computer it caused the mouse to have intermittent problems like stuttering and a loss of accuracy. Edit: Also forgot how a driver hangup caused me to blue screen everytime I would restart the desktop.

Windows Update error

Some Windows 10 users reported that the update failed to install on their systems with the error code 0x800f0982. If you are one of those who are experiencing similar issues, you should follow this step-by-step guide to fix it.

Update stalls and long installation hours

Some recent reports suggest that many people had to wait for long hours to complete the installation process. Apparently, the update progress gets stuck at some point and the only solution is to go for a hard reset.

I have been installing this update for 14 hours now but its only at 21% i’m not sure what to do my pc has a ssd and all other updates have been quite fast i’m not sure if it will ever finish or if i should just give up and risk rebooting my pc.

Display problems

Microsoft claims to resolve the display issues in the latest release. However, the full-screen display is still not working correctly for many.

It fixed banding problem, but not fully. it’s a lot smoother but there are still some lines. The full screen display is not fixed yet And the high DPC latency is still not fixed (but now it reaches high numbers after a minute or more of testing)

Missing app bugs

Windows 10 users confirmed that KB4505903 brings missing apps bug. Many popular apps such as VLC, Spotify and Store disappeared after the installation of this update.

Anyone more have the missing apps bug back again with this update? Store, Spotify and VLC disappeared from my start menu after this update, and I need to restore them thought powershell.

Computer freezing issues

Apart from all the above-mentioned bugs, Redditors confirmed that the recent update causes freezing issues on the loading screen.

This update broke my pc (kind of). When I open any game, on any loading screen, the computer freezes and speakers make a noisy buzzing sound and I can do nothing but force shutdown.

Screen rotation issues

Finally, Windows 10 users are still experiencing problems while rotating the screen in night light mode.

Still having the problem when rotating the screen in night light mode, the screen will flash back to bright mode for a split second. Anyway to contact a representative here to take a look at this?

The list of issues does not end here and we are sure that you must be experiencing many other problems as well. Let us know in the comments section below.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
Had some issues with service packs from time to time but that was mostly because the Windows update process has always been less than ideal. Service packs generally were tested to a higher degree than the updates we get today though.

This is the crux of my argument against the implementation of updates in 10 - no one has perfected updates though some manage better than Microsoft and Windows update hasn't exactly got a glowing record over the years so proper manual control of updates is important. A forced update system when you (Microsoft) seemingly can't even be bothered to test updates properly is just retarded.

Manual updates does not rule out issues, for example those that don't check if there are problems with the latest update (I don't always check my updates are bug free before downloading, like the latest one a few days ago), there are those that forget to update so have a less secure system or can't update because they are so far behind on the updates and have to update "x" before "y" etc... I can understand why you want manual updates so you can decide when etc . The big question is why did Microsoft remove that option?

Man of Honour
Manual updates does not rule out issues

It generally makes it far easier to manage problems though in my experience. But more importantly it gives you better ability to manage updates at a time when you are free to sort out any fallout from problems - the last thing I want for instance is to have a weekend free when I want to do some gaming but then have Windows decide it is going to take a big slice of that with updates and potentially sorting out any issues. Without reallife contextual awareness forced automatic updates is silly.

Soldato
It generally makes it far easier to manage problems though in my experience. But more importantly it gives you better ability to manage updates at a time when you are free to sort out any fallout from problems - the last thing I want for instance is to have a weekend free when I want to do some gaming but then have Windows decide it is going to take a big slice of that with updates and potentially sorting out any issues. Without reallife contextual awareness forced automatic updates is silly.

I did say I understood why you want manual updates, however as I stated updates are never 100% fool proof and it's been that way for a very long time ie XP etc, manual updates will be easier for some like you for example, but you'll still rely on Microsoft giving you a perfect bug free updates and we all know the chances of that. In a perfect world you would have that option of manual updates with bug free updates. FYI I'm not saying auto updates is the way to go but just stating updates will always cause some issues for some users regardless.

Updates being bug free and manual update option are really two different things.

:) .

Man of Honour
FYI I'm not saying auto updates is the way to go but just stating updates will always cause some issues for some users regardless.

Which is the crux of my argument though so often misinterpreted - the fact that updates will always cause some issues for some users makes it silly to approach updates in the manner they have with Windows 10 - I have nothing against automatic updates as an option aslong as advanced users have the option to take control.

Soldato
Which is the crux of my argument though so often misinterpreted - the fact that updates will always cause some issues for some users makes it silly to approach updates in the manner they have with Windows 10 - I have nothing against automatic updates as an option aslong as advanced users have the option to take control.

As I stated the big question is why did Microsoft remove the manual option?..Nobody knows the answer to that. The main issue I have with Microsoft is QC, in general I have been lucky with updates but it has caught me out once this year, yes they fixed it soon after, but it should not of slipped through, especially when there are millions of users out there using Win10.

As to auto updates I've been lucky I guess, never had issues with gaming and updates clashing, I do game everyday more or less as well. Microsoft seem to have this new mindset, it's our way or nothing else approach.

Caporegime
Just got me new rig, last check it did for updates, was this morning, before i picked it up, so its all up to date, and running fine (up to now :p), just getting stuff on, and trying to work things out, as got no clue how to use 10 :D

How the hell do i get it to stop coming up with, Do You Want To Allow This App To Make Changes To Your Device ? , when i run certain programs ?, its doing me nut in! :p

Also, do i need to switch it to a private network ?, as when i first fired it up, i got some guff about making my pc discoverable to other devices, which i just said no to, but when i go into the network settings, it says im on a Public.

EDIT:

I think thats right, as it says im not discoverable, n can't print or file share.

Private says, home or work network, where i will be discoverable. :p

Im having a brain freeze here. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
How the hell do i get it to stop coming up with, Do You Want To Allow This App To Make Changes To Your Device ? , when i run certain programs ?, its doing me nut in!
That's the default User Account Control (UAC) settings. If you type UAC into the Start menu, you should see the link Change User Account Control Settings. I always move the slider down from the default of second from the top to the second one from the bottom, as I don't like it taking over my screen when I run something. You can disable it completely by moving the slider right all the way down if you don't like the UAC at all.

Man of Honour
Turning it off is silly, it's there to protect the OS as if anything calls for an admin token it's asking you if you know what it is and agree. If it's off then malware etc would have a free reign to run.

Caporegime
That's the default User Account Control (UAC) settings. If you type UAC into the Start menu, you should see the link Change User Account Control Settings. I always move the slider down from the default of second from the top to the second one from the bottom, as I don't like it taking over my screen when I run something. You can disable it completely by moving the slider right all the way down if you don't like the UAC at all.

Ahh yeah, i remember doing that on Win 7, thanks :)

Turning it off is silly, it's there to protect the OS as if anything calls for an admin token it's asking you if you know what it is and agree. If it's off then malware etc would have a free reign to run.

Hmm, i managed fine on 7 with the slider fully off :D

Man of Honour
It is a slight pain but I leave it on - generally I try to use software from legit sources, etc. but you never know. That said UAC isn't impervious to penetration by malware.

Back
Top Bottom