Windows 10

Man of Honour
Albeit they are being patched in a fairly timely manner (though could be just the tip of the iceberg in terms of vulnerabilities) stuff like this makes a mockery of some of the comments people made about Windows 10 and security a couple of years back or so in response to some of my posts:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...days-in-massive-september-2019-patch-tuesday/

https://news.sophos.com/en-us/2019/...-targets-remote-desktop-and-active-directory/

A lot of this stuff shouldn't even exist in the first place - referring back to V F's post here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33013275

Caporegime
Well that was bloody weird, just restarted, and it came up configuring updates, don't turn off, did the 30% and restarted, then did to the 100% as usual, and booted, but there was no updates, ive just checked the history, and the last ones were the patch Tuesdays, wtf :confused:

Phantom update, as noticed just before id restarted, that it had already checked, and said i was up to date :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I checked my living room and my PC is still there, I know these Windows 10 updates are getting weirder and freakier, but at least the PC is still in the living room for now, I touched it and my hand didn't slip through it or anything *touch wood*

Man of Honour

My content itself has never been about Windows 10 being buggy (though it has got pretty LOL for a company of the standing of MS with Windows 10) but the taking away of the ability to mitigate these issues (or other issues).

Soldato
y4mxivS3vcIiL8aHes7a5ht1iLyHgtREJpo7l9MUaX7FJ5ZeXQOdVFKtCWQF4-ivMC7PW88ieTgM2Xrv94XYUl9k_MumKuq-PmRyc72oiAwVXxhJe1wDqKyNbmqnawJu4wnBJmvFjVj1u_USeVOKEj59KUUydKe71R1v5RhVoDL0j4_PK2Omty2HrFEWixLZxAzYoNcbd1t7RRdNA74G_bZWQ

The Seach Tab seems to have dissapeared from my File Explorer window, anybody know how to get it back?

Soldato
By sharing this video, please don't think that I am excusing Microsoft for their failures. Some of what is said I either guessed or read about. Either way, an interesting watch.

Man of Honour
I really should setup a webcam to stream this system I'm trying to update at the moment LOL - trying to avoid a complete reinstall - it hasn't been used in a approx. 18 months and the way things are breaking, incompetence in the way things have been approached and lack of foresight from the developers is hilarious. Sure I could probably save some time and just reinstall from scratch but that shouldn't be necessary.

Microsoft just aren't ready and don't have the mentality to do a successful Windows as a service model - you have to nail down the basics, you have to abstract things properly and use a more modular approach so updates can be streamlined and functionality doesn't get broken when the left hand isn't in sync with the right, etc.

Man of Honour
So... 48 hours almost to the dot to get this laptop to progress from 0 to 1% on installing updates LOL - that is after troubleshooting, manually cleaning up winsxs and distribution folders, DISM, etc. etc. its fairly low end but above minimum spec and doesn't seem to have any hardware issues, etc.

Something is causing a conflict somewhere from trying to update from nothing used for 18 months to latest updates. I probably should have used a 3rd party tool to iteratively apply updates like I would have done in Windows 7 with the built in functionality.

EDIT: Now gone up 12% in the time it took me to post heh.

Back
Top Bottom