Windows 10

Soldato
KB4515384 has been released for 1903 users, which includes Cortana and search fixes:
Highlights
  • Updates to improve security when using Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, networking technologies, and input devices such as a mouse, keyboard, or stylus.
  • Updates for verifying user names and passwords.
  • Updates for storing and managing files.

Improvements and fixes

This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
  • Provides protections against a new subclass of speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities, known as Microarchitectural Data Sampling, for 32-Bit (x86) versions of Windows (CVE-2019-11091, CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2018-12130). Use the registry settings as described in the Windows Client and Windows Server articles. (These registry settings are enabled by default for Windows Client OS editions and Windows Server OS editions.)
  • Addresses an issue that causes high CPU usage from SearchUI.exe for a small number of users. This issue only occurs on devices that have disabled searching the web using Windows Desktop Search.
  • Security updates to Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Media, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Authentication, Windows Cryptography, Windows Datacenter Networking, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Wireless Networking, the Microsoft JET Database Engine, Windows Kernel, Windows Virtualization, and Windows Server.

Caporegime
KB4515384 has been released for 1903 users, which includes Cortana and search fixes:

Just installed, along with the other 2x (a Security fix for Flash, and another one for the .NET Framework), and all seems to be fine, no issues with the search, and my CPU usage is normal. :)

One thing i did notice though, there was no Malicious Software Removal Tool this month (the KB890830).

Last edited:
Soldato
I noticed something very interesting about yesterday Patch Tuesday updates.

Before the updates, I thought my CPU usage around 30% while opened 25 Edge tabs and 50% memory were normal all the time.

Now after the updates, opened Microsoft Store and 25 Edge tabs to caught up I missed since last week as I was cared very ill mother with bad gallbladder.

I noticed my CPU usage now used only just 1-3% and 29% memory. Look like the updates fixed CPU and RAM leaks.

EbTvf6W.png

Soldato
Few reports this morning about one of the patches completely breaking the Start Menu in 1903.
That might the tip of the iceberg if these highlights are correct:
  • KB4515384 already has some weird bugs
  • Update error 0xe0000100
  • Start Menu and Search still don’t work for many
  • BSOD and USB errors after updating to KB4515384
  • Latency issues after installing the update
  • Nvidia graphics card problems
https://windowsreport.com/kb4515384-issues/

Caporegime
That might the tip of the iceberg if these highlights are correct:
I'm at the point of completely blocking updates for our users because I don't trust MS to get anything right anymore.

How long will it be before they release an update that completely wrecks computers, takes down multiple businesses and ends up in a mass lawsuit?

Man of Honour
I'm at the point of completely blocking updates for our users because I don't trust MS to get anything right anymore.

How long will it be before they release an update that completely wrecks computers, takes down multiple businesses and ends up in a mass lawsuit?

I don't know if it is a general trend but they are slowly taking steps to move us over to Linux at work - shifting away dependency on Office, older applications being rewritten so as to be accessed via a web-browser rather than Windows specific client, etc. albeit I think there was a bit of bad luck involved with the timing as one of the trials was during the period when there was activation issues but they haven't had good results at work trialling a wholesale update of the estate to Windows 10.

V F

V F

Soldato
Sounds fun. https://www.neowin.net/news/latest-windows-10-update-is-apparently-also-breaking-audio-in-games

Windows 10 must be a nightmare for it's coders. No proper Q&A, Agile, a Behemoth of a platform. Microsoft should rethink how it handles the Updates really fast. The last few years haven't been forgiving for MS semi-recent practices on and for Windows.

Your last two sentences are spot on. And MS wonders why Windows-7 users have little to no incentive to move to WIndows-10. Who can afford the luxury of an OS that often no longer works well after an update? But, then again, that is the price MS chose to pay when the "wizards" (??) decided to try to make Windows-10 a "one size fits all" OS, complete with needless complexity (read, fluff, bloat, unneeded dubious functionality that one cannot choose to not install).

Recent monthly security updates have also broken important things in Windows 7, too. Last month it was VB Scripts / VBA macros.... a couple months before that it was Custom Views in Event Viewer. And there have been multiple problems with updates hosing third-party AV products... this was especially bad in April.

The problem is low patch quality, not Windows 10 in and of itself.

Soldato
I must admit that for me personally I am not getting any of the issues being mentioned.

However I did do a test install of Windows 10 x86 on my netbook (I know...) with the latest Windows Update integrated and the Start Menu wouldn't appear no matter how many times I clicked in. It worked fine after rebooting though. I hardly touch my netbook these days because Windows 10 is slow on it, even with a spare SSD installed.

Back
Top Bottom