Windows 11 upgrade - Yay or Nay at the moment?

Caporegime
Upgraded but had to roll back to W10 as my headset's mic would not work. No workarounds would work, but going back to W10 fixed it immediately.

Apparently Windows 10 breaks certain sound cards and headset output... I for one can't use Windows 11 because it also breaks some Asus Zonar speaker settings and yes headset output

Associate
Ive been happy with Windows 11 so far,
Apart from the taskbar annoyance of grouping programs but I hear a update is in the works to fax this option back

Associate
Ok just got it installed but here's how stupid Ms is, I had to do a clean install because me main OS drive was 3xNVME drives in a raid and in the last few months been getting crashing which is due to the PCiexpress which could be the drives so wanted to make sure I had the latest firmware for them and check there health so I had to do a reinstall so I thought go to W11 as I have to do a clean install and its been bugging me about upgrading anyhow I download the media creation app and get it to make a usb drive for me so I go to install and get, This PC is not compatible with windows 11 so I think i'v seen this before in windows 10 when installing from incorrect iso so I download the iso from MS and use rufus to make a drive and it installs no problems.

My point being there own app can not work out which version of W11 to make.

Anyhow rant over is there a way to make file explore more compact i'm not a lover of the fat head it now has.
Also is there anyway of getting rid of more options for things like copy and paste.

Soldato
Early days yet, but I've just done a new install of Windows 11 as I just built a new Alder Lake system and thought it best to go with that.

So far, no problems, just wondering why the MS software engineers thought it was a cool idea to make people have to do more key presses than was necessary in Windows 10.

Soldato
Hi Few questions

I'm thinking of doing a fresh install of windows on my pc to give me a fresh start,

1. is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 yet or should I wait a few more months and stick with windows 10 ?
2. PC check has passed everything but my CPU is not supported for some reason. https://prnt.sc/25h2ctf
i can still install it using a workaround but is it worth it
3. Will I have an issue with drivers?

Soldato
Hi Few questions

I'm thinking of doing a fresh install of windows on my pc to give me a fresh start,

1. is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 yet or should I wait a few more months and stick with windows 10 ?
2. PC check has passed everything but my CPU is not supported for some reason. https://prnt.sc/25h2ctf

1: I'd say go for it, save upgrading at a later date.
2: Mine was all fine apart from CPU but it still installed fine and I didn't use a workaround, just d/l the iso, used that and no issues . If that doesn't work for you and you do need to use the workaround it works fine, I got it running on a core2duo at one point. Just use rufus it has an option to install with no checks.
3: Drivers should be fine, I've not had any issues at all with drivers on a Ryzen laptop.

Soldato
1: I'd say go for it, save upgrading at a later date.
2: Mine was all fine apart from CPU but it still installed fine and I didn't use a workaround, just d/l the iso, used that and no issues . If that doesn't work for you and you do need to use the workaround it works fine, I got it running on a core2duo at one point. Just use rufus it has an option to install with no checks.
3: Drivers should be fine, I've not had any issues at all with drivers on a Ryzen laptop.
Thanks, I was wondering what to do and was about to reinstall windows 10.

Soldato
Everything has been great so far, the only issue I'm having is with radeon software MF.dll MFplat.dll MFReadWrite.dll was not found.

How can I fix this ? or can I just remove the software and keep the drivers

Soldato
Hi Few questions

Yeh, go for it, on Win 11 here and no problems at all (so far, touch wood).

Also will have to amend my earlier comment about extra key presses (referring to right click menus), I missed the new icons at the top for cut/paste/copy.

Soldato
Yeh, go for it, on Win 11 here and no problems at all (so far, touch wood).

Also will have to amend my earlier comment about extra key presses (referring to right click menus), I missed the new icons at the top for cut/paste/copy.
Thanks, I switched to windows 11 over the weekend after updating the bios to the latest one and it worked great, I was expecting to have issues considering everything MS said, it was the fastest windows install and setup I have ever done.

A few things to note after installing I was having a few issues, slow speeds, freezing and the drivers etc, I also had some issues with installing Radeon software (missing DLL files) so I just uninstalled it

I later realised windows can install the drivers in updates without issue or the need for Radeon software. after doing a windows update inc the optional ones everything works great non of the issues from before and all the driver are upto date.

It has been really simple to do everything even the things that I would issues with or take ages on windows 10, the only minor issue I had was win11 does not having a media player, so check online and was suggested 5kplayer I installed it but it would not load I don't know if its just the player.

so far I've not had no other issues that I can notice yet.

I do think Microsoft should have waited a little longer to release windows 11 and just left it in beta longer so they had the time to clean up the bugs, I still think it need a few more updates to be solid but overall its been great.

in my option its the easiest windows to use so far. after XP and Windows 7 this has been my favourite upgrade but not as finished still needs work.

Soldato
I had a system message stating my PC is not up to scratch for Windows 11 but when I clicked to find out more it wanted me to download some tool to check. All seemed odd to me and I don't like installing loads of bloatware so didn't bother.

I think I have a few years before I need to really concern myself with an upgrade.

Soldato
I had a system message stating my PC is not up to scratch for Windows 11 but when I clicked to find out more it wanted me to download some tool to check. All seemed odd to me and I don't like installing loads of bloatware so didn't bother.
I think I have a few years before I need to really concern myself with an upgrade.
You have until 2025. You can use Microsoft's tool, it's not bloaty. Alternatively, the WhyNotWin11 tool does the same thing but better - https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/

Soldato
Small issue if someone can help me, I cant get my head around what the issue could be other than the M.2 but that should not be a issue.

I have installed windows 11 on my pc without a issue and I am still using it but today I have installed a m.2 SSD, I wanted to install windows on it but I keep getting a message, this pc does not meet the minimum requirements to install this version of windows. for more, vist https://aka.ms/windowssysreq

Back
Top Bottom