Windows Home Server

Soldato
I've recently switched from the supplied o2 router to a netgear DG834G but for some reason I'm getting IP address conflicts where it seems to be issuing the same IP addresses occasionaly. (all my fixed IPs are in the 1 - 9 range with DHCP starting at 10)

I thought of trying another DHCP source to see if it was a router issue

Caporegime
Help

This is what I am seeing when I connect to the console from my i7 pc

console.jpg

Anyone come across this before?

When I reboot the server I see the console normally again.

Its annoying

Caporegime
Fixed it

To fix this:

1) Open a Remote Desktop session to the server. You don't have to log in with the Administrator account, but you should use an account with admin access to the server.
2) Click Start, Control Panel, Administritative Tools, Terminal Services Configuration
3) In the right panel, click on 'Connections'
4) In the left panel, right click on 'RDP-Tcp' and select 'Properties' from the right-click menu
5) Click on the 'Sessions' tab
6) Check the first checkbox ('Override user settings - End a disconnected session:')
7) Select '1 minute' from the dropdown list. You can use a longer interval if you wish, but it
should be reasonable finite length. This will dictate how long you have to wait between
WHS Console sessions.
8) Click okay. Click okay to any messages that appear.

The above changes will not affect any existing sessions, so you will need to manually kill any
existing disconnected sessions:
1) Right-click on the taskbar, and select 'Task Manager' from the right-click menu
2) Click on the 'Users' tab.
3) The existing sessions will be listed on this tab. For each session that says 'Disconnected' in
the 'Status' column, select that session and click the 'Logoff' button.
4) Click yes to confirm, and close the Task Manager
5) Log off of the server.

Associate
Can anyone confirm for me exactly what WHS backs up when it performs one?

Whatever you specify in the backup properties for the server. With WHS v1 this is limited to shares, but I believe Vail will allow the Server OS partition to backed up too.

EDIT: I am talking about server backups :p

Tomsk's post is probably what you're after.

Last edited:
Soldato
last time I looked at whs there were reports of defrag and AV causing data coruption! is this still a problem.

looking into this for my media center/NAS which is currently on Win7..

Soldato
last time I looked at whs there were reports of defrag and AV causing data coruption! is this still a problem.

looking into this for my media center/NAS which is currently on Win7..

There was a data corruption bug in the first release, but that's long since been patched.

Due to the way the disks are managed by WHS, it's advisable NOT to use third party defrag tools, but that's as scary as it gets, no need to worry.

Qu3

Qu3

Associate
I think it just backs up data, never tired it to be fair.

How ever if your OS drive does fail you can always do a repair install, it'll install a fresh os but will setup your old shares etc..

Back
Top Bottom