Windows SMP Beta goes Open

Soldato
Snapshot said:
What does the -local flag do?
Hmm I hadn't thought about the -local flag as I've not needed to use it myself in quite a while :o
If running as a service the flag isn't required as it uses the local config information anyway.

http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html

-local
Use configuration files from local directory. This option has no meaning on Linux, but is vital on Windows and Macintosh for running multiple clients on a machine. It instructs the client to read its config information from the client.cfg file in the current directory rather than, on Windows, from the installation directory specified in the registry, or, on Macintosh, the Library/Folding@home directory. Information such as the user name, team name, proxy information, machine ID are maintained in the client.cfg file. The flag ensures that work does not conflict. Use "-local" only if you are planning on running more than one instance of Folding@Home on the same machine (this is only useful if you are running on a multi-processor machine). Create as many directories as there are processors on the machine, copy the exe files and client.cfg file into each of these directories, run "FAH3Console -local -config" on each and specify unique machine IDs for each directory (under the Advanced Settings option). From then onwards you may run each copy by switching to its directory and running with the -local flag.

So if you're running multiple SMP clients it would be a good idea - it certainly can't do any harm anyway so at worst it'll just be ignored

Soldato
I've had it happen before with the WinSMP. Think that if the WU hits a timered checkpoint and you then stop it, on restart FAHMon interprets what's left of the frame as a complete frame, and so screws up the PPD. :)

Soldato
Been meaning to ask this for ages.

Is it possible to:
  1. Have smp start when the machine is switched on. The machine has multiple users. The smp is on a user which won't log on normally (me, I don't use it).
  2. Automatically ctrl+c when a shutdown is requested. Better than forcing it closed every time.

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Although it isn't supported I have got the win SMP client running as a service. If you do the -configonly switch to set is up as a service, then enter the properties of the service you should be able to set it to start as a specified user.

sorry tad drunk when typing hope it makes sense :cool:

Soldato
MGP said:
Although it isn't supported I have got the win SMP client running as a service. If you do the -configonly switch to set is up as a service, then enter the properties of the service you should be able to set it to start as a specified user.

sorry tad drunk when typing hope it makes sense :cool:
Will look into this tomorrow, ta :)
Drunk on the internets, woot :)

Man of Honour
I cant get this to install guys :(

Running Vista Home Premium 64

Basically, I install it, run the install.bat and get the following error

fah.jpg

Back
Top Bottom