Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Permabanned
Not too sound like a grovelling fan boy (even though I kinda am...) but he's literally writing the fantasy epic of our generation. That's so close to being an objective fact at this point that it almost can't be argued. I think people have vastly underestimated the level of effort and work he's had to put into this project, and just how complex and interweaving the narrative material he's invented is. You can't put a timeframe on that. Speculating that he just 'doesn't care' any more or that he's too busy on junkets to write anymore is not only hugely disrespectful, but completely unfounded when you actually stop and really think about not only the complexity of the story at this point, how much it means to him as a whole and also the context of his life in general right now. The mans gotta live, not just write us stories.

Man of Honour
@Tombstone what is the spoiler? You're supposed to provide a description as per the OP and tell people if it is a casting spoiler, a book spoiler a prediction etc..etc..

I err on the side of safety when it comes to anything that someone on the forum might claim is a spoiler, so I stuck it in tags. Better safe than sorry and many more people would complain that it isnt in tags than would complain it is in tags :)

EDIT : ah yes, I see what you mean now about the OP, I will remove the spoiler part and replace it with something less against the OP.

Soldato
For now lets say its based on gut feeling. I'll link back to the post at the end of the series :)

Okey doke, was just worried i'd inadvertently read something leaked, had done a lot to avoid it over the last year or so. Would teach me right for clicking the spoiler though. :)

I personally don't think for a second it'll be a happy ending or good guys winning ending.

Soldato
A lot of stern faces as they all realise this is the last good paycheck most of them will be getting :D

Also I really strongly dislike Sophie Turner/Sansa, i've mentioned it before in this thread, she just annoys the hell out of me, both as Sansa and any other role i've seen her in.

Soldato
Yeah, I don't want to be harsh but I've never really rated her acting ability. I think the rest will do ok though, well most of them have already actually. Which the fact that she's not had much success outside of GoT already is a bit telling as well...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yeah, I don't want to be harsh but I've never really rated her acting ability. I think the rest will do ok though, well most of them have already actually. Which the fact that she's not had much success outside of GoT already is a bit telling as well...

I wouldn't call a decent supporting role in one xmen movie and lead character in another "a lack of success".

Soldato
Not too sound like a grovelling fan boy (even though I kinda am...) but he's literally writing the fantasy epic of our generation. That's so close to being an objective fact at this point that it almost can't be argued. I think people have vastly underestimated the level of effort and work he's had to put into this project, and just how complex and interweaving the narrative material he's invented is. You can't put a timeframe on that. Speculating that he just 'doesn't care' any more or that he's too busy on junkets to write anymore is not only hugely disrespectful, but completely unfounded when you actually stop and really think about not only the complexity of the story at this point, how much it means to him as a whole and also the context of his life in general right now. The mans gotta live, not just write us stories.

Each to their own with what they read but it is no way the fantasy epic of our generation, no way. The earlier books were admittedly brilliant but you can see the point he got offered more money to write more books and abandoned his plan. After book 3 it has became a rambling, incoherent mess with stuff there simply for the sake of it. The last two books were utterly, utterly woeful especially the very last one.

Robin Hobb or Steven Erikson spring straight off the mind for epics (and that's coming from someone who doesn't particularly love Hobb's work) but I appreciate we are getting into the realms of subjectivity here.

But based purely on "objective" fact as you suggest it really is not that good and if it wasn't for the TV show it would have remained relatively niche as it was.

Caporegime
Each to their own with what they read but it is no way the fantasy epic of our generation, no way. The earlier books were admittedly brilliant but you can see the point he got offered more money to write more books and abandoned his plan. After book 3 it has became a rambling, incoherent mess with stuff there simply for the sake of it. The last two books were utterly, utterly woeful especially the very last one.

Robin Hobb or Steven Erikson spring straight off the mind for epics (and that's coming from someone who doesn't particularly love Hobb's work) but I appreciate we are getting into the realms of subjectivity here.

But based purely on "objective" fact as you suggest it really is not that good and if it wasn't for the TV show it would have remained relatively niche as it was.
This, This and This. Books 1 to 3 were magnificent, but 4 was atrocious and the rest mediocre. He created a good and recognisable fantasy world but is nowhere near the best fantasy writer of our time if you take consistency into account.

David Gemmell for example was a class above imo.

Back
Top Bottom