Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I can understand Dany wanting to charge in and just blast Cersi with dragon fire. I can understand Dany taking the city from her, taking her armies and people, having Cersi brought outside in chains before being roasted to death. What doesn't make sense is her winning the battle, then deciding to destroy the city and the innocent civilians who would then become her subjects and worship her as their saviour.

Maybe she was just hangry, but it makes her petulant and childish, but with access to nuclear dragon weapons.

Soldato
I can understand Dany wanting to charge in and just blast Cersi with dragon fire. I can understand Dany taking the city from her, taking her armies and people, having Cersi brought outside in chains before being roasted to death. What doesn't make sense is her winning the battle, then deciding to destroy the city and the innocent civilians who would then become her subjects and worship her as their saviour.

Maybe she was just hangry, but it makes her petulant and childish, but with access to nuclear dragon weapons.

Nothing more than the coin landing on the side of madness.

smr

smr

Soldato
Whichever way the writers write there are going to be people unhappy at it. If Danny hadn't gone crazy people would say it was predictable, at least there are a few twists.

Soldato
No i just think some people expected the last series to maintain a higher standard of writing but being completely honest they've thrown it off a cliff and yeah, people are going to be frustrated about this. there's no 'for the sake of it' involved.

I disagree, read the previous threads, there have been rampant attacks on the writers for many seasons now.
NOTHING HAPPENED, it is too slow, was the theme for a couple of seasons, and S7 got slaughtered.
I think the show suffered leaving 2 years between 7 and 8. If they had followed I think there would be less complaining.

Soldato
Rated by viewing figures, or by arbitrary polls on the net that rated that sansa/Bolton episode really low, even though it was proper storytelling, and brutal as life is/can be?

Man of Honour
I think the show suffered leaving 2 years between 7 and 8. If they had followed I think there would be less complaining.

I think the biggest failure of the season hasn't been the 2 year gap, I think its been the only have 6 episodes. Should have been longer, allowed more scope for fleshing things out, less making things seem rushed and arbitrary.

Soldato
I disagree, read the previous threads, there have been rampant attacks on the writers for many seasons now.
NOTHING HAPPENED, it is too slow, was the theme for a couple of seasons, and S7 got slaughtered.
A lot of S7 is still rated 9+ on IMDb whereas the last two episodes have tanked to <7. I know it's not the best indicator but it says to me that the writing has fallen even harder, hard enough for even casual viewers to notice. The fact it's the final season doesn't help either, even with S7 being pretty bad there was a chance it would all make sense after S8 but alas it just gets worse.

Soldato
Disagree with what?

The writing is worse than it's ever been. We know it, the actors certainly know it and im sure D&D know it too. What part are you disagreeing with?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I agree with one of the internet pundits (can't remember who it was, someone on reddit) who pointed out that the overall final results of S8 are very "GoT"-ish, R.R. Martin-like on the face of it. In original GoT books things aren't ever black and white, they always turn to grey, good people do terrible things, saviours become tyrants, tyrants become victims we sympathise with. And as such, everything we saw in S8 is, on some level fitting:
"Mhysa", the breaker of chains, freedom fighter for the weak and lame, burns millions of innocents with dragon fire.
The throne everyone was after for millennia becomes worthless pile of ashes, kingdom of ruins and graveyard.
Honourable, disciplined soldiers driven by high principles become the people they fought against all those years - they kill, they sack, they rape and they pillage.
A redeemed hero leaves the easy happily ever after scenario to go after true love of his life, for the love conquers all, just not the kind of love we would applaud as viewers.
The guy we looked up to and followed for several seasons as the only truly good guy in this muddy and grey world turns out weak, bland, uninspiring, his legions sworn for all the right reasons but with questionable effects, his principles good on the face of it, but results unworthy to follow.

These are all generally very GoT-ish plotlines.

If they weren't delivered in such a heavy handed, retarded, stoned fan-fiction jibberish way.

Soldato
Generally shows drag on after 7 seasons, but I think this could have easily provided two more seasons with some good writing, characters development and usual plot arcs from earlier seasons. Guess it's just a combination of factors that now resulted in this being crammed into such short time.

Soldato
If they weren't delivered in such a heavy handed, retarded, stoned fan-fiction jibberish way.
This. It helps if we imagine missing scenes which might have turned credulity into credibility, but... but we got what we got; a season built around two incredibly ambitious fantasy action movies. On a scale of one to Pulp Fiction, it's right up there with Bruce Willis taking out a helicopter with a car, and makes perfect sense. All that was missing this week was The Mountain's helmet coming off to reveal Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Now that would have subverted a few expectations. I might even have forgiven D&D if they'd broken the 4th wall and fessed up like that.

Man of Honour
This. It helps if we imagine missing scenes which might have turned credulity into credibility, but... but we got what we got; a season built around two incredibly ambitious fantasy action movies. On a scale of one to Pulp Fiction, it's right up there with Bruce Willis taking out a helicopter with a car, and makes perfect sense. All that was missing this week was The Mountain's helmet coming off to reveal Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Lol, when that happened my missus turned to me and said "oh, I see...he's darth vader" :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Just a friendly reminder... anyone posting details of the leaks / spoilers in the thread without the use of spoiler tags will be banned.

We appreciate that you may want to discuss things, so please MAKE SURE to use the spoiler tags AND make sure the tags are properly titled, so posters know what they’re clicking.

There will be no second chances.

Like this...

So very bald :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I think the biggest failure of the season hasn't been the 2 year gap, I think its been the only have 6 episodes. Should have been longer, allowed more scope for fleshing things out, less making things seem rushed and arbitrary.
I’ve read that HBO offered them 10 episodes but D&D thought they could do it in 6 :eek:

Back
Top Bottom