1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Hostile_18, Aug 3, 2009.

?

Who will rule Westeros?

Poll closed May 18, 2019.
  1. Daenerys Targaryen

6.8%
  2. Jon Snow / Aegon Targaryen

30.8%
  3. Sansa Stark

13.8%
  4. Arya Stark

8.1%
  5. Bran Stark

2.1%
  6. Sam Tarley

3.0%
  7. Tyrion Lannister

9.8%
  8. Jamie Lannister

0.8%
  9. Cersei Lannister

2.1%
  10. Gendry

10.8%
  11. Brienne of Tarth

1.3%
  12. The Night King

4.9%
  13. Other (please specify)

5.7%
  1. Richdog

Capodecina

Reading some of the comments in this thread makes me swear I will never take my good judgement and common sense for granted ever again. To even for a second think that the quality of the writing has not decreased is so monumentally stupid that it almost defies belief, if I did not understand that you were completely serious when you wrote that. You seem to lack a sense of judgement and perception that allows you to see the myriad of things that prove the writing has got significantly and materially worse.

• The actors all hate the season and it shows in what they are doing with their stilted and emotionless interactions
    • The story arcs have been ignored and thrown away
    • The plot points are no longer even pretend to be logical, in fact they insult all of our (except the unfortunate minority such as yourself) intelligence
    • The scripts are out of character and awkward
    • 99% of critics think it is a disgrace
    • 99% of fans think it is a disgrace
    I feel genuinely sorry for anyone that cannot see and understand that the writing of this show is now truly appalling, because life cannot be easy if your judgement is so bad.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. Jono8

Caporegime

One big issue I have is that Dany clearly could have taken Kings landing all by herself with one dragon, the moment she arrived in westeros.

3. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

She didn't even need to gather an army and do half the stuff she did. Could have just waited for them to grow, flown across, burnt it to the ground with 3 dragons and no defenses.

4. Steedie

Man of Honour

The dragons are as powerful as they need to be to serve that particular plot point. They've been made to look weaker than we expected previously, then as you mentioned, made to look unstoppable at other points. If she could do all that with one dragon then with three, surely she could have just won every war going at the same time in parallel

5. FrankJH

Capodecina

I still think after 7 seasons of murder and mayhem Cercei deserved a lot more violent/ painful death than being crushed by buildings (which the viewers don't even see)

6. Steedie

Man of Honour

Yeah I didn't really get why we're made to feel sorry for Cersei in the end, given how they made us hate her, I thought she was going to get a brutal Joffrey style death to give the viewers that payback that we've got with other characters too, like Ramsey Bolton.

That whole bit with Jamie and Cersei was just bizarre, it was well done from an acting point of view but in the context of what has happened with both of them and the build up, it was just so anti-climactic

7. wolfie138

Wise Guy

maybe next ep you'll find her half-crushed under rubble beside the pulped mess of her bro, and she'll have been suffering all that time.

8. DrToffnar

Mobster

Aha, that rabid straight out of the gate huh?

It is pointless debating with someone who is already so vehemently on the attack from the off.

9. ZG002

Capodecina

Loads of it's been anti climatic lol.

I didn't mind the whole NK thing, but that's because I thought "ok, they will expand on that next ep with Bran flake and if he wasn't the real threat we are in for a great battle at kings landing"

Erm no....

So I'm now not only disappointed with how that went down but I'm now ****ed at the NK side of it.

Can't win.

10. ianh

Mobster

I would suggest that most people complaining (like myself) are not complaining about "What" happened (Dani goes mad for example) but instead "Why or How" it happened i.e "Why did she go mad so quickly? How was her descent into madness shown - too rushed, too long etc?".

Thats one thing the earlier seasons got very right, the "whats" were never a problem because the "Why/How" was written so well, so it made sense. Yet since S7 that "Why/How" seems to be "we need it as a plot point so do it" and that lack of consistent behaviour, gained from 10 years and 8 seasons of watching these people interact, really stands out to folks hence the complaints.

Take Breaking Bad as the "anti-Complaint" example - the writing was consistent from S1 Ep1 until the end, and when they wanted to finish the writers didn't start making the characters do things "at odds" to the way they were written previously just to get the plot advanced to the finale. "What" the characters did felt "natural" because the "why/how" was still well written.

11. something daft already!!

Mobster

Series 5 of Breaking Bad was just an add on to get more money. It should have finished at series 4 imo.

12. Washout

Wise Guy

Wouldn't worry about it. Can hate an episode or aspect all you like, it's a free world. But for ep4 he listed 12 or 13 things that were outrageously bad. Seemed to think it was the worst episode of GoT ever.
    Problem was at least 10 of them were wrong. As in, wasn't watching what was going on wrong.

Was pointed he'd erred but never responded. Odd for someone who's so clearly "intelligent".

Edit: @ the rabid one: The dialogue is just as good in most cases as it's ever been. Tyrion and Varys, Jaime and Cersei, Arya and the Hound off the top of my head from that last ep - all very good and written by the same folk who've written previous series.
    If the dialogue is at the same level then the writing must be too. What you're complaining about and the point DrToffnar was trying to make is the major story, plot points are all a lot more condensed due to the smaller number of episode. Case in point Euron's forced encounter with Jaime on the beach. The dialogue during the scene was good - them bumping into eachother... not so much.

13. Richdog

Capodecina

Zero rabidity, just a bit of emotional investment in a show and I stand by every word. If you cannot see that the writing has deteriorated dramatically in the face of overwhelming evidence then there is something deeply lacking in your judgement and perception. I know it sounds harsh, possibly even arrogant, but it is also completely fair and honest.

14. gettothechopper

Mobster

that jeremy jahns guy just put up a video saying exactly what i (and others on here) have posted over the last couple of days,
    that her going evil is a good storyline, but the execution of it is poor and doesn't take the audience on the journey to justify her sudden change
    he even makes the same Anakin skywalker point that i made earlier this week :D

15. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

People that refuse to see the writing has gone massively downhill are the same sort of people that still think Apple products are the best of the best and haven't turned to crap since Jobs died :o There's no reasoning with a blind fan boy.

16. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

I don't buy into the theory that they had to make it this way for the masses either, whether it had deep storytelling or not wasn't going to have an effect on the viewership. People who watch it mindlessly would still have done so.

17. ZG002

Capodecina

They just want to get on with star wars, that Disney pot of money is massive guys.

18. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

It was quite GoT I thought in the way that she died. At least we saw her fearful for a change.

I wonder what happened to Ellaria who Cersei imprisoned - I guess the building came down on her. That must have been mighty confusing out of context :p (assuming she was even still alive?).

My favorite post of the day - https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/bot4fo/spoilers_jaime_totally_called_it/

Jamie was spot on. Not that Cersei could have played it any other way imo.

I was originally thrilled about this. Yup, was.

19. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

If season 8 had been written and recorded 5 years ago, with the exact same character conclusions and outcomes, I bet we'd all be praising it right now and calling it incredible... Because back then they would have padded it out and put a hell of a lot more time and effort into it. Despite ending the same, it would have been completely different.

I don't think people are really too annoyed at what is happening in the story, but rather how they got there in the first place. It's just so rushed and sloppy.

20. wolfie138

Wise Guy

well, to me I think it's either laziness or incompetence. a showrunner has huge responsibility, and for a show like GoT it must have multiple levels of that. if you're responsible for a massively popular, intricately plotted work, your show "bible" should be amazingly extensive and plots for the next season should be vetted against that, never mind your previous episodes, and of course the books and/or GRRM himself to keep as true to the spirit as possible.
    when you write something then have an interview saying things like "dani kinda forgot about the fleet" or "euron wasn't paying attention"....i mean, really. there's a vid out there repeating that "forgot" line about 5 times then cutting to a part of an episode showing exactly how concerned the characters were about the fleet and the threat it could be, etc.
    laziness or incompetence. or, I suppose, apathy or contempt for the fans.