Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I think the most disappointing thing is that what made GoT interesting in the first place, that it was unpredictable and not afraid of killing off popular 'good' characters, that went out the window in the last series. All the bad guys got their comeuppance and the good guys won....then everyone said their goodbyes....fin.

Permabanned
With the budget and profile GoT had by the end, they could & should have had the best writers in the world working on it. The fact random forum idiots like myself are coming up with even worse alternate endings doesn't validate the absolute failure of a finale we just endured.

Aye, agreed. A popular defence appears to be 'well they ran out of source material and it's been 10 years, you can't expect them to show the same level of interest or provide equal levels of craftsmanship compared to back then'.
You're being paid millions... STFU and do the job properly. To me it's not about being 'owed' anything as a fan, it's simply about doing justice to your artistic medium, not to mention the source material that ******* made you.

Associate
Outstanding questions:

Night King - no real explanation
I guess beyond being a weapon that got out of control there's not a lot to say about him. Who he was and why he want everything dead will probably be covered in the prequel.

Lord of Light - no real explanation
Do we need one? You can't scratch away at all the mysticism, not really enjoyable. Oh look, the wizard of oz is a fella with a loudspeaker and some smoke cannons. Besides all the prophecy stuff came true.

Jon confession - no scene showing it
Yeah would have liked to have seen how he got out of that without the unsullied gutting him immediately. Maybe Grey Worm is getting fed up of all the killing or recognises that killing him out of hand would mean war with their allies.

Jon off to the Wall - no mention of him being rightful king, his siblings just dumped him without a fight, why?
Didn't think it needed mentioning that Jon does not want the crown. He didn't want it when Dany was alive, he certainly won't want it after killing her and knowing it would mean probable civil war!

The North free - why not the other kingdoms?
Who's to say they won't try later...?

Tyrion getting to speak and choose the new king - why?
They wanted to speak to him, he nominated Bran - up to them to decline. Beside, 3/4s of them wanted him free. He's also the head of house lannister now.

Bran - just wtf! He was like an evil Dr Strange, at least Strange let them know that there was only one possible way to defeat Thanos. Bran just set everyone up to get "what he didn't want". Makes zero sense.
He can see the past and what's happening now - not the future, that was Jojen.

Bran again - what the hell was he doing when he warged for an hour during the battle with the NK at Winterfell?
Jon to the Wall - what was the point, there is nothing to defend against.
Yeah, that was a wasted opportunity. Should have had a much more active role in the fight other than being pure bait.

Honestly I could go on, the above are just a few quick thoughts.

A few answers.

Soldato
Regarding the north being free and not the other kingdoms - The North was a free kingdom until the Targaryen rule. So it is only relatively recently it became part of the 7 Kingdoms so it isn't too surprising for it to be asked and granted that they have their independence back.

Soldato
With the budget and profile GoT had by the end, they could & should have had the best writers in the world working on it. The fact random forum idiots like myself are coming up with even worse alternate endings doesn't validate the absolute failure of a finale we just endured.

Yup, agreed.

Aye, agreed. A popular defence appears to be 'well they ran out of source material and it's been 10 years, you can't expect them to show the same level of interest or provide equal levels of craftsmanship compared to back then'.
You're being paid millions... STFU and do the job properly. To me it's not about being 'owed' anything as a fan, it's simply about doing justice to your artistic medium, not to mention the source material that ******* made you.

Hmm, has anyone on this forum suggested that? (They may have, but I don't recall it)

Soldato
Jon off to the Wall - no mention of him being rightful king, his siblings just dumped him without a fight, why?
Didn't think it needed mentioning that Jon does not want the crown. He didn't want it when Dany was alive, he certainly won't want it after killing her and knowing it would mean probable civil war!

...A few answers.

You keep going on about Jon taking the throne would lead to civil war, but you don't explain how this would happen. Who would have a problem with that other than the current occupying forces, you conveniently stated how everything should be and then buggered off to pastures new? He killed a tyrant, someone that burned innocent people in the city to get what she wanted, becoming what she hated. Why would the populace have an issue with him being king? Nevermind the fact that currently the ending makes no sense because he's been banished for actually doing a good thing. Everything contradicts itself, literally the entire show is based upon a usurper having taken the throne from the rightful heir by murder, and then at the end when it comes full circle and a future rightful heir (Jon) could take it back, he gets banished instead? Sure, whatever. The whole of this season has been a mess right from the start and everything is a contradiction. None of the characters remained true to themselves throughout the series, they may as well have not had any backstory whatsoever.

Man of Honour
do you think greyworm gives a crap about the only 2 thing that gave meaning to his life being killed?

Why didn't he turn mad and lay waste to kings landing and everything else in westeros? why didn't the dothraki do the same?

makes more sense than the mad queen, but apparently they peacefully leave westeros.

Do you really think their is any point in trying to talk about logic when it comes to this show?

There is no logic. It doesn't make sense.

My queen and love of my life has died and I've killed countless unarmed men. We'll hold a vote. Cool, cya.

Soldato
I know Dany was going to end up dead but a part of me actually wanted her to sit on the Iron Throne with Jon.

The finale was never going to please everyone as there's about 1000 theories out there and people get invested in those theories.

I am miffed that Jon didn't end up on the throne but meh, it's a TV shows, it's done.

Associate
You keep going on about Jon taking the throne would lead to civil war, but you don't explain how this would happen. Who would have a problem with that other than the current occupying forces, you conveniently stated how everything should be and then buggered off to pastures new? He killed a tyrant, someone that burned innocent people in the city to get what she wanted, becoming what she hated. Why would the populace have an issue with him being king? Nevermind the fact that currently the ending makes no sense because he's been banished for actually doing a good thing. Everything contradicts itself, literally the entire show is based upon a usurper having taken the throne from the rightful heir by murder, and then at the end when it comes full circle and a future rightful heir (Jon) could take it back, he gets banished instead? Sure, whatever. The whole of this season has been a mess right from the start and everything is a contradiction. None of the characters remained true to themselves throughout the series, they may as well have not had any backstory whatsoever.

What Dany did, while terrible, was not something new. Razing or sacking a city isn't unheard of. It was just the scale was that much higher.

Iron Islands and presumably Dorne had fully committed to Dany. They, the unsullied and dothraki wanted Jons head. What makes you think they'd accept him as a King if he's not going to be executed?! It would have been war. No doubts about it. They'd have probably lost despite having the largest standing armies left but that's irrelevant.

Combine all that with the fact that Jon really, really doesn't want the crown then "banishing" him to the one place he actually feels at home and actually wants to be is a total win/win and makes perfect sense. They came up with the Nights Watch ruse to trick the unsullied and the others into thinking it's a life sentence and had Tormund meet him to take him to the true north.

Associate
There is no logic. It doesn't make sense.

My queen and love of my life has died and I've killed countless unarmed men. We'll hold a vote. Cool, cya.

The very fact they head off for an Island of pacifists (to die horribly thanks to butterflies) might give an indication they're fed up with westeros and fighting...

Caporegime
Regarding the north being free and not the other kingdoms - The North was a free kingdom until the Targaryen rule. So it is only relatively recently it became part of the 7 Kingdoms so it isn't too surprising for it to be asked and granted that they have their independence back.

The issue is only Sansa ever brought it up. Ned didn't care they weren't free, Robb only fought because they killed Ned and stole the throne and would be bad leaders. Jon didn't care but Sansa randomly kept saying "we need independence". In fact what she did was create a situation where Kings Landing has no power, the king of the 6 kingdoms has no ability to enforce any plans he wants, not any power to simply demand taxes from the other kingdoms. The North has been absolutely mashed by years of war with the Lannisters, then the wildlings, then the undead. They'll be one of the weakest kingdoms out there and she gave up the protection of the king of the 7 kingdoms, to go it alone because something the North never had in her lifetime, that she has no idea about, and having never led anything at all and having the diplomatic finesse of Drogon ice skating (oh, you're about to save the entire north... well **** you for making Jon bend the knee, I don't trust you and want independence... throws herself at the floor and starts wailing while pounding the floor with her hands and feet... I WANT INDEPENDENCE).

AS said before the show ended with a toothless king, a couple of WAY stronger kingdoms with no reason to rebuild Kings Landing on their dime when they can walk in and take the whole 7 kingdoms pretty easily.

Sansa traded the protection of a strong king of the seven kingdoms for independence which should lead to their destruction within months... days if the teleportation spell over Westeros is still active.

Also worth noting, Sansa wasn't the head of the Stark household, Jon was, no one of the Starks thought they were 'above' Ned in the pecking order while Ned was being held prisoner and after jon comes Bran, not Sansa. Sansa literally had no claim and no right to do what she did. Bran was the leader and if he had any kind of leadership ability he would have both said shut up you little twit, you'll be the end of us all but also, I'm the head of house Stark and while I might make you the lady of Winterfell and you can run the north in my stead, I am still the ruler of the North.

The fact that he didn't immediately shows he's freaking incompetent and the rule of Bran is destined to be weeks long.

Caporegime
What Dany did, while terrible, was not something new. Razing or sacking a city isn't unheard of. It was just the scale was that much higher.

Iron Islands and presumably Dorne had fully committed to Dany. They, the unsullied and dothraki wanted Jons head. What makes you think they'd accept him as a King if he's not going to be executed?! It would have been war. No doubts about it. They'd have probably lost despite having the largest standing armies left but that's irrelevant.

Combine all that with the fact that Jon really, really doesn't want the crown then "banishing" him to the one place he actually feels at home and actually wants to be is a total win/win and makes perfect sense. They came up with the Nights Watch ruse to trick the unsullied and the others into thinking it's a life sentence and had Tormund meet him to take him to the true north.

He mostly didn't want to be king because when he found out he could be.... it meant overthrowing a woman he loved. Jon has not wanted to be a leader from the first episode to the last... yet before the final episode he had led the black watch, led the north, led armies against the undead, led armies against Kings Landing, led expeditions into the north both to scout wildlings and to go after the Night King.

Just because he doesn't want to be King because it means Dany being dead/imprisoned or an extreme outside shot of being persuaded to **** ***, but then he still loses her, doesn't mean he wouldn't accept the job when it's thrust upon him. IN fact the entire 8 seasons implies that if leadership was thrust upon him he'd not only take it, he'd do a better job than anyone and be a just ruler.

Soldato
LOL, the guy who played Night King is at LFCC this year. by the end of the event, I wonder how may time he'll have been asked "so......what was the point of your character...?"

Soldato
LOL, the guy who played Night King is at LFCC this year. by the end of the event, I wonder how may time he'll have been asked "so......what was the point of your character...?"

I was hoping the night king might make a surprise reappearance at the end of the credits, just a quick shot of him being reawakened as the whole cycle starts again. I'm sure someone will explain why that can't happen but to me the episode was just a bit dull and needed a little something extra.

Man of Honour

10000 years prep. Falls at the first line of defence. 7 seasons of the ominous ‘winter is coming’. There really wasn’t any reason to worry.

Soldato
yeah. last "long night" was thousands of years, according to a guy at work. this one was about 4 hours. people all over Westeros went to kip and woke up the next day having missed it all. look up "anti-climax" in the dictionary, probably has the GoT logo there.

Soldato

When I met him last year he was asked to give a description of how he though it ended and I thought it was brilliant and really wished that he had spilled the beans after seeing the mess of a finale the other night, It went along the lines of this -

Battle of winterfell Dany doesn't go north to start with, it falls to the night king however most key characters manage to escape south being followed by the night king after a big battle the night king seems unstoppable.
They get to kings landing and meet with Dany who has been measuring up with Cersi, Jon and co then get caught up in the battle for kings landing with Dany as the night king arrives at this point they are surrounded and Jon and co perish leaving just Dany, kings landing destroyed and most dead as the dust settles Dany is on the throne the camera pans to the entrance (much like we saw Jon appear in the finale) and the night king steps through, raises his arms at that point the credits roll.
/end

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom