Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I’d have still preferred Drogon to melt Jon and the iron throne after killing dany, Jon closing his eyes fully expecting it as he does in the scene anyway, adding to the meaning of his decision.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I’d have still preferred Drogon to melt Jon and the iron throne after killing dany, Jon closing his eyes fully expecting it as he does in the scene anyway, adding to the meaning of his decision.

I think the idea is that being a Targaryen the dragon would still have had something akin to a loyalty to Jon - something not very well developed in the TV show.

Caporegime
He didn't need to claim it, as it was automatically his. His family should have known this. They should have gone there demanding the release of their rightful king. I think Sansa even said they had the rest of the North waiting outside the gates ready to attack if Jon was harmed.

You are operating on a fantasy of Rule by Law that had never been shown to exist in Westeros. "Rightful King" IS meaningless tosh without an army behind it.

Man of Honour
To be fair that's what I thought saved Jon from Drogon turning him to dust, his Targaryen blood.

I think the dragon blamed the wheel not Jon hence it taking its anger out on the chair. But yeah his Targaryen blood is why he didn't end up a pile of ash.

Caporegime
What has really ***** me off are the actors saying people critical of it are "disrespectful" or that they should "go **** themselves".

I'm sorry what? You got paid millions to read a few lines in a fancy medieval costume for our entertainment.

**** off with your unwarranted indignation.

Soldato
I think the idea is that being a Targaryen the dragon would still have had something akin to a loyalty to Jon - something not very well developed in the TV show.

That is the only thing I could think of really which does kind of make sense.

Although you'd likely expect Drogon to kill Jon out of pure anger regardless of bloodline or not. Much as you would greyworm instead of.

It’s more so I guess of the handling of scenes afterwards, mainly Jon being the Targaryen heir aspect which in the end amounted to nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
You are operating on a fantasy of Rule by Law that had never been shown to exist in Westeros. "Rightful King" IS meaningless tosh without an army behind it.
Jon should have most of Westeros behind him, he had the North and probably the Stormlands, Vale and the Riverlands at very least (assuming we just accept Gendry is accepted as Lord of the Stormlands). I imagine he would have the backing of Highgarden/The Reach as well if Tyrion told Bronn to support him. That leaves Dorne and the Iron Islands which probably could be convinced with the promise of independence.

Caporegime

No one else made a claim for it though. If Grey Worm had stepped forward and taken it for himself, then fair play.

Instead Bran rolled forward and took it for himself. In other words, Jon's family screwed him over.

Man of Honour
Jon should have most of Westeros behind him, he had the North and probably the Stormlands, Vale and the Riverlands at very least (assuming we just accept Gendry is accepted as Lord of the Stormlands). I imagine he would have the backing of Highgarden/The Reach as well if Tyrion told Bronn to support him. That leaves Dorne and the Iron Islands which probably could be convinced with the promise of independence.

It is an aspect I found hard to reconcile really - ultimately having that claim meant something to a lot of those people - it was something they'd been taught to respect from practically the moment they started breathing and drummed in by the various kings, etc.

An angle I think that was supposed to be there but not developed very well in the final episode is that the game ultimately goes on, that fine (or not so fine) lords and ladies ultimately are just cogs or pawns in a game being played out that involves the "gods", etc.

I didn't think it a terrible last season personally but I didn't like the way a lot of stuff was just thrown aside - the whole setup with the night king, etc. they hurried to a big battle and then throw it all aside without using any of the potential, Arya and all the connection to the faceless men, etc. just tossed aside in the final season and so on.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Well the great thing is though how that ended up leaves it open for a revival... actually it could almost be a leap board to significantly move some stories on.

"Previously on GoT (highlights of season 8 junk)"

Opening scene, drogon drops dead dany into some magic crucible from old valyria and sets it on fire. One now really ****** off dany emerges alive, I dunno, use your imagination.
Switch to naath with the unsullied rocking up.
Switch to arya on her boat sailing off the edge of the world, that was actually flat.
Switch to kings landing, now well under way in repairs. The iron bank rocks up.
Switch to the north, with lots of stuff going on rebuilding the wall.
Switch to north of the wall, with jon becoming a degenerate drunk. He trips over onto a shard of dragonglass which turns him into a new night king.

The great thing about a fantasy like GoT is an ending doesnt mean ****.

Soldato
Outstanding questions:

Night King - no real explanation
Lord of Light - no real explanation
Jon confession - no scene showing it
Jon off to the Wall - no mention of him being rightful king, his siblings just dumped him without a fight, why?
The North free - why not the other kingdoms?
Tyrion getting to speak and choose the new king - why?
Bran - just wtf! He was like an evil Dr Strange, at least Strange let them know that there was only one possible way to defeat Thanos. Bran just set everyone up to get "what he didn't want". Makes zero sense.
Bran again - what the hell was he doing when he warged for an hour during the battle with the NK at Winterfell?
Jon to the Wall - what was the point, there is nothing to defend against.

Honestly I could go on, the above are just a few quick thoughts.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bran again - what the hell was he doing when he warged for an hour during the battle with the NK at Winterfell?

That is what disappointed me more than many of the things other people are getting upset about - a lot of that stuff they just let go to nothing - throwing in a bit of warging there just for the sake of it.

Bran - just wtf! He was like an evil Dr Strange, at least Strange let them know that there was only one possible way to defeat Thanos. Bran just set everyone up to get "what he didn't want". Makes zero sense.

Only two possible explanations there really that can work - either he wanted it all along and was playing the game or had seen the other possibilities and they all ended worse and that outcome was the only one with a chance of a better ending.

Soldato
It is an aspect I found hard to reconcile really - ultimately having that claim meant something to a lot of those people - it was something they'd been taught to respect from practically the moment they started breathing and drummed in by the various kings, etc.

An angle I think that was supposed to be there but not developed very well in the final episode is that the game ultimately goes on, that fine (or not so fine) lords and ladies ultimately are just cogs or pawns in a game being played out that involves the "gods", etc.
Fully agree. The ending kind of brushes over the fact that there are still plenty of people like Littlefinger and Varys out there who'll see some kid in a wheelchair, who appears to have no favourable kingly characteristics, would take this as an opportunity to get themselves on the throne.

Soldato
Fully agree. The ending kind of brushes over the fact that there are still plenty of people like Littlefinger and Varys out there who'll see some kid in a wheelchair, who appears to have no favourable kingly characteristics, would take this as an opportunity to get themselves on the throne.

I assume you meant someone other than Varys? Because that's the complete opposite of what he was about.

Soldato
I assume you meant someone other than Varys? Because that's the complete opposite of what he was about.
Themselves or someone else*

You could argue Bobby B's reign was pretty good for the realm on the whole and yet Varys still conspired to get someone else on the throne. You're assuming Bran's just going to be a great King and people perception of what's good for the realm differ.

Back
Top Bottom