Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
This made me chuckle - a post from just over 10 years ago on page 1:

Martin plans to co-executive produce the series and is expected to write one episode per season.
Finish the **** series already!! He's till got at least two books to write (I'm assuming that number five is about finished) and it takes him about three years to do each one at the moment. And he's not a young man.

10 years on and there are still 2 books left for him to write :D

Man of Honour
All the hate of the last season... I dunno. I kind of feel that people ‘pseudo-intellectualised’ their enjoyment of the earlier seasons and threw their toys out the pram when the show picked up the pace which necessarily required a bit of dumbing down. People just couldn’t reasonably suspend disbelief. There were valid criticisms to be had but I did think the hate was a bit ‘lol’. I really enjoyed it. Perhaps, in part, because I wanted to?

Go in looking for a bad time... you’re going to have a bad time.

I laughed heartily at the resolution of Bran’s arc though. I really feel that the under development of Bran was the biggest failing of the show.

Soldato
if it "necessitates" dumbing down, it means it's ****. if you can't come up w/ plotlines that work after 10 years of programming etc etc, you shouldn't be in the job. there's no excuse for it, at all.

Soldato
if it "necessitates" dumbing down, it means it's ****. if you can't come up w/ plotlines that work after 10 years of programming etc etc, you shouldn't be in the job. there's no excuse for it, at all.
Comments like this make me laugh. Clearly you know better than Netflix (and Amazon and Disney who were both bidding for them) ;) https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-creators-close-200m-netflix-deal-1230119

And with that I'm backing out of this thread because it's largely pointless now! Assuming it only got bumped because people were whinging about the awards?

Soldato
Comments like this make me laugh. Clearly you know better than Netflix (and Amazon and Disney who were both bidding for them) ;) https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-creators-close-200m-netflix-deal-1230119

And with that I'm backing out of this thread because it's largely pointless now! Assuming it only got bumped because people were whinging about the awards?
probably best you do, you've obviously got no sensible side of an argument. doesn't matter who's bidding for what, doesn't alter that last season was the biggest pile of garbage in the last decade. if Netflix et al want to hoy their money at that sort of quality, that's up to them, it doesn't magically make the last season's plotting suddenly clever and sensible, does it?

Soldato
probably best you do, you've obviously got no sensible side of an argument. doesn't matter who's bidding for what, doesn't alter that last season was the biggest pile of garbage in the last decade. if Netflix et al want to hoy their money at that sort of quality, that's up to them, it doesn't magically make the last season's plotting suddenly clever and sensible, does it?
I'm not arguing about season 8, sorry. I'm just curious as to why you think they shouldn't be in a job. An opinion that directly contradicts 3 of the biggest entertainment companies in the world who have been clambering to employ them.

You say I've got no "sensible argument" yet you're spouting nonsense like the above, together with "biggest pile of garbage in the last decade". Exaggeration much? No?

Soldato
I'm not arguing about season 8, sorry. I'm just curious as to why you think they shouldn't be in a job. An opinion that directly contradicts 3 of the biggest entertainment companies in the world who have been clambering to employ them.

You say I've got no "sensible argument" yet you're spouting nonsense like the above, together with "biggest pile of garbage in the last decade". Exaggeration much? No?
Because if I put as little effort into my job as they did into the end of the series I'd be fired. Hollywood and the like is a boys club, it's about who you know and money, whether what you create is **** or not doesn't matter as long as the money flows in, and GoT was always going to make money.

Man of Honour
Having watched the show through 3 times (once all before season 6 and then again leading up to the release of the seasons), I disagree. The trade off for the ‘dumbing down’ (and by this I really mean allowing for ‘not laboriously explaining anything and requiring minor disbelief’) was ‘substantially advancing the plot’. About time, really. Half of the enjoyment of the show was the anticipation of the epic things to be. You can only ride on anticipation for so long and had it continued at its then current pace I think viewers would have been frustrated. I would have been, anyway. I don’t think any alternative resolution would have made the show substantially more enjoyable to me.

Of course, by resolution I mean things regarding the story arc in general. I’m not a person to get upset over whether there is adequate cloud cover to see some ships from a dragon.

This is coming from someone that tend not to enjoy TV shows precisely because they don’t conclude. I have labelled this previously as ‘the perpetual carrot’. TV shows that have storylines dragged out as long as people will watch them disinterest me. But, people that are more willing to spend time watching TV may have a different view.

Soldato
Because if I put as little effort into my job as they did into the end of the series I'd be fired. Hollywood and the like is a boys club, it's about who you know and money, whether what you create is **** or not doesn't matter as long as the money flows in, and GoT was always going to make money.
So what you're saying is that Hollywood is corrupt but they're clearly good at their jobs, as the evidence shows? Because if you'd like ot complain about season 8 then honestly, go nuts. Just bear in mind that's your opinion on a creative piece of TV drama. If you want to argue that they're no good at their jobs and "should be fired" then I'm sorry but the evidence points to the contrary. I'm just making sure we're on the same page here...

Half of the enjoyment of the show was the anticipation of the epic things to be. You can only ride on anticipation for so long and had it continued at its then current pace I think viewers would have been frustrated. I would have been, anyway. I don’t think any alternative resolution would have made the show substantially more enjoyable to me.
Exactly. It's like the ending of Lost. I'd say a good 75% of that series was anticipation so when it eventually wrapped up, you lost that 75% of excitement (for want of a better word). It's just what can happen in series like that.

Soldato
Just bear in mind that's your opinion on a creative piece of TV drama. If you want to argue that they're no good at their jobs and "should be fired" then I'm sorry but the evidence points to the contrary.

I was going to post something similar. It's all opinion. It's funny how the haters seem genuinely upset that some could enjoy it still. Sure, I'll agree it wasn't as good as other seasons, but I still enjoyed it.

Soldato
So what you're saying is that Hollywood is corrupt but they're clearly good at their jobs, as the evidence shows? Because if you'd like ot complain about season 8 then honestly, go nuts. Just bear in mind that's your opinion on a creative piece of TV drama. If you want to argue that they're no good at their jobs and "should be fired" then I'm sorry but the evidence points to the contrary. I'm just making sure we're on the same page here...
It's Game of Thrones, I could have written Season 8 and it would have made just as much, doesn't mean I'm a good writer or showrunner. They established the shows fanbase by being very good at adapting the books. When those ran out their was a noticeable steady decline in quality but the goodwill remained as the show itself was still pretty good. That goodwill ran out when it became obvious they didn't care anymore and it became a poorly written, inconsistent mess with 10 years of character development going out the window, main characters becoming glorified extras and **** making no sense all just for that big 'Oh ****!' moment. No one I know liked season 8 and the vast majority of the internet didn't like season 8, you liking season 8 puts you in the minority from what I can tell. When liking season 8 puts you in the minority, they've done a **** poor job of producing it.

I was going to post something similar. It's all opinion. It's funny how the haters seem genuinely upset that some could enjoy it still. Sure, I'll agree it wasn't as good as other seasons, but I still enjoyed it.
You're more than welcome to enjoy it, I enjoy the Star Wars prequels, doesn't mean they're not **** films.

Man of Honour
It IS all opinion, but some of the criticisms at GOT series 8 and also Star Wars the Last Jedi were a bit, well, rabid. There are definitely fair criticisms of both. I’d argue that the criticisms of the plot of TLJ were far fairer than some of the criticisms at GOT.

I never really felt that there were completely outlandish character flips in GOT series 8, that some claim. I do think, however, that people had their expectations subverted. Doing that is clearly really rather risky. I seem to love having my expectations subverted, generally.

Back
Top Bottom