Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
Are there really only 4 episodes to go? Loads to do yet! Still really enjoying it though, will have to look at the Borgias though to fill this slot in my tv.

Thats what I thought, its been a while since I last read the books , but I cant see how it can be wrapped up in 4 episodes, unless its going to be compacted a bit. Thats assuming that the 2nd series is clash of kings of course and not a bit of both 1 and 2.

Man of Honour
I didn't think there was that much left from the first book, so fitting it into 4 hours should be no problem. Roll on series 2 ;)

It might just be that the written word tends to be fleshed out more so it merely seems like there is a lot left to me, but in reality much of it is filler and when chopped away it leaves plenty of time for 4 episodes.

Soldato
Well i've caved, just bought books 1 & 2 and part 1 of book 3 in the 3 for 2 offer in Waterstones. I've got 12 days abroad with the missus and her family so will probably polish these off pretty quick, i'm more excited about the books than the 12 days off work :D

Associate
I've been reading along in parallel and it's interesting to see which scenes are changed and how.

The biggest change I can find so far has been the attack on Ned and his men when Jorey buys the farm. In the book, it takes place on horseback outside the city and Ned is injured by falling under his own horse. Jaime does not fight him, indeed he bugs out before the scrap even begins. I was struck that it takes only just over 1 page to happen and I was left thinking 'huh?' when it was over because it was so underplayed.

I assume they changed this to make us feel more hatred for Jaime by having him personally despatch Jorey, and it certainly felt as though the scene as filmed had much more impact than that as written.

The other thing that struck me last week was how different Lysa (?) is being portrayed. In episode 5 she appears as a total nut job suckling her 8 year old son and generally being batty as hell. In the book, she greets Catelyn in a much warmer fashion and generally comes over as 'normal' (for a given value of normal).

Finally, it was only through the book that I learned she was John Arryn's widow; I didn't pick that up at all on screen; I would assume this has big implications later when his killer's are revealed (assuming my guess is correct as to their identity).

Soldato

A lot of the show gets the general gist of what is happening, and delves deeper into things not necessarily dealt with in the books (for example, Loras and Renly) but I don't think they've managed to film a scene exactly as it was in the book yet.

Lysa was fairly batty in the book though. She did initially greet Catelyn warmly but turned on her as soon as her servant left, berating her over bringing the Lannister to the Eyrie.

Soldato
For anyone who's missed it or fancies watching the aired episodes all again, starting at 21:00 tonight they are all on one after the other till 4am

Caporegime
Just wanted some info and some help...would love to get the books for this series but am a bit confused:confused:...on amazon they have the first book or a set of 4 books i think...so which one should i be looking to get or buy??...anyone help??

The link to the 4 book set is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/George-Mart...9057/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306705910&sr=8-3

Is that the best set to get??...or does anyone have any other better links to places where i can get the books from??.

TIA

Soldato
Book 3 is in two parts spawn , so 5 in total.

I got mine from amazon but got them individual because I couldn't work out if the box set included parts one and two of book 3. Although I asume it must.

Permabanned
So hyped for the next episode. Just finished the Mass Effect prequel book on my Kindle and now reading the first book of this series. Loving it, not normally into this era but this is different.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom