Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
I guys. I have started to watch this the other day. Never seen an episode before, it never appealed to me when it was first broadcast. I borrowed the box sets (S1-4 and S5 from a work colleague) after watching a few episodes before that I managed to get from somewhere else. I have to say it is intriguing. The characters are built well and it sort of just puts you in at the deep end. I watched 6 episodes on my own and when I told the wife she had a right go at me. So we started again with the DVDs. Second time around things made a little more sense to me. I had to explain a few things to the wife but she found it good too. Fast forward to day before last I get home from work around midnight and say to her "ooh fancy game of thrones"? she looked at me sheepishly and told me she watched more episode when I was at work so....... she had to watch them again and it was her time to explain a few things :)

We are now on the last episode of S1. Tonight she is at work and I am not, so once the devil child is in bed I will be feasting on this TV show. No doubt to a moan or two from her later, when she gets home.

Thoughts so far. Slow but in a good way. Always something to grab you and pull you in. Really enjoying it. Yes I have read a few spoilers but only because I wasn't bothered by it. I have been told that I have to watch very closely what John Snow does at all times as it will all come apparent later?!? The little girl child of Sean Bean, theone with the small 'needle' I have heard she is badass later on and the blonde girl who married Drako (sp) ends up being like a seriously evil person of somesorts.. these are things I have read and been told so I will take it with a pinch of salt but i am looking forward to seeing more of this show.
Glad you are both enjoying it, but can you really not just wait until you both have timeand watch it together on weekends, instead of re-watching episodes the whole time? That really ruins the shared experience, just be strict with yourselves and make an agreement.

Soldato
Thoughts so far. Slow but in a good way. Always something to grab you and pull you in. Really enjoying it. Yes I have read a few spoilers but only because I wasn't bothered by it. I have been told that I have to watch very closely what John Snow does at all times as it will all come apparent later?!? The little girl child of Sean Bean, theone with the small 'needle' I have heard she is badass later on and the blonde girl who married Drako (sp) ends up being like a seriously evil person of somesorts.. these are things I have read and been told so I will take it with a pinch of salt but i am looking forward to seeing more of this show.

Sean Bean's youngest girl is called Arya. Theon was his ward/hostage, taken from the Greyjoys.

In many respects Season 1 is my favourite series, it's perhaps not the best, but it's where I got hooked. If you don't know what happens in the finale... then you're in for a ride! :)

Caporegime
Sean Bean's youngest girl is called Arya. Theon was his ward/hostage, taken from the Greyjoys.

In many respects Season 1 is my favourite series, it's perhaps not the best, but it's where I got hooked. If you don't know what happens in the finale... then you're in for a ride! :)
He said 'theone', not Theon. :p

Soldato
Glad you are both enjoying it, but can you really not just wait until you both have timeand watch it together on weekends, instead of re-watching episodes the whole time? That really ruins the shared experience, just be strict with yourselves and make an agreement.
It is very hard for us to watch together. I finished S1 last night and watched the first two of S2. the wife will watch ep10 of s1 tonight followed by a few of s2 after. We both work at the same place and she mostly work morning till afternoon and I start when she finishes till midnightish. Weekends??? what are they? :) until we get the same evening off we will watch when we can and eventually we will be level on said evening and can plow through some more together.

Caporegime
When the old woman is telling Bran about the White Walkers while he recovers from his "fall", she says they ride on giant spiders, she might have been spinning a story but it might have been interesting to see them doing so rather than horses.

Can you imagine the additional special affects budget that would add to the movie? A 100% fake spider that they are riding on in every scene? It would have been very cool indeed, but sadly not feasible.

Besides, I think she said they hunt with packs of giant spiders, not that they ride on them: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Ice_spiders

Old Nan recounts to Bran Stark the legends about when the White Walkers first descended upon Westeros during the Long Night thousands of years ago, raising the dead as wights to kill the living, riding dead horses, and hunting with packs of giant "ice spiders" as big as hounds.[1]

Soldato
As daft at GoT can be with magic creatures etc I think hunting with packs of giant spiders may be just one step further than the show is willing to go :D
I'm pretty sure they'll need to shock/scare people a bit more. Otherwise it's just a bit like "Oh well they've got a dragon, Dany has two. Let's fight" -type scenario.

Caporegime
I have started again from episode one. I'm on 6 now and I had forgotten how great it was and has always been. Someone will be getting a Golden Crown. Now I am noticing more of the little nuances and some of the clues to later episodes.

I've done the same thing, up to episode 7. You really appreciate some of the characters comeuppance after watching what they were getting up to in the earlier seasons.

I completely forgot about certain characters betrayal of Ned for example.

Soldato
Just finished a season 2-4 re-run. The stand-outs for were some fantastically well acted (and really long) Tywin/Arya, Hound/Arya & Jamie/Brienne scenes with Stannis siege of Kings Landing, the Red Wedding, the attack at Castle Black and the Red Viper vs the Mountain being "action" highlights. I'd love to be able to wipe my mind of some episodes, just so I can watch them again in awe!

Dany's "anti-slavery" storyline felt poor in comparison to her 1st season arc, although I realise why it was needed as it was about her first attempt at being a Queen, the mistakes she made etc.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Just finished a season 2-4 re-run. The stand-outs for were some fantastically well acted (and really long) Tywin/Arya, Hound/Arya & Jamie/Brienne scenes with Stannis siege of Kings Landing, the Red Wedding, the attack at Castle Black and the Red Viper vs the Mountain being "action" highlights. I'd love to be able to wipe my mind of some episodes, just so I can watch them again in awe!

If you watched season 7 then re-watched earlier seasons have you noticed how many "memory lapses" or inconsistencies for pivotal plot devices happen between earlier seasons and, approx second half of S06 onwards - as an example - the little scroll from Sansa to Rob that Li'lfinger plants for Aria - do you remember - where Rob received the only copy of that Raven scroll? And where that note would have ended up at the time?

Last edited:
Soldato
With seasons 1-4 the "world" felt rich in both character and story but from season 5+ you can tell it's not got the depth it once had.

Re: Scroll - The episode concentrates more on the manipulation behind getting Sansa to write it rather than the very brief scene with Rob mentioning it at his camp. I'd say it's very probable that the Season 7 episode writers thought people would be more likely to remember that very pivotal scene with Sansa rather what the exact location of Rob for the <45 seconds it was mentioned in his scene, I know which I think was more important to remember. However it's also conceivable that all the scrolls were taken back to Winterfell for record keeping but, without proof in the show with a extra line saying "this was difficult to find, Rob sent so many scrolls back to Winterfell for safe storage during his campaign" etc thats getting into the realm of fan fiction TBH.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Very good - just to refresh other forumites memory - Maester Luwin receives the scroll in Winterfell (I suppose Ravens only travel home/to main Raven stations like pigeons - you can send one back home from the battlefield, but you can't receive a reply at a battlefield, at least not in S01-04). It is Luwin who delivers scroll to Robb. Robb takes the correspondence with him to war and after reuniting with Catelyn returning from ( I want to say the Eyrie?), shows her the scroll. Neither have opportunity to come back home to Winterfell. The "fan fiction" of Rob sending many scrolls back for safe storage obviously still applies but it is important to note that Littlefinger knows the scroll exists in the first place and knows of Robb's alleged penchant to courier scrolls back and forward from battlefields back to Maester Luwin and therefore can pin point where it is (or knows of exact Xerox of it in Sansas own handwriting). Then pays for that knowledge with his life. That motherloving Li'lfinga! TL;DR - S07 - not a documentary.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom