Winter Transfer Window 23/24

Man I love transfer windows only 13days, 15hours, 11 mins and 30 secs to go.

1st of January I want to see Philips straight through the door. This will be interesting as loads of clubs seems to be after a proper DM but seem to be focussed on younger foreign players. Newcastle seem to have a March on this one tho with Eddie saying Philips is the type of character he has asked for.

If we really have ****** up Barnes injury diagnoses then we do need cover up top.

Phillips has been a bizarre signing. Get him in, never actually play him at all beyond a few fleeting guest appearances and then flog him - presumably for less than they paid. I know they can afford it but - just why ?

He must have been consistently awful in training or it was a case of mistaken identity or something.

Dont get it.

Phillips has been a bizarre signing. Get him in, never actually play him at all beyond a few fleeting guest appearances and then flog him - presumably for less than they paid. I know they can afford it but - just why ?

He must have been consistently awful in training or it was a case of mistaken identity or something.

Dont get it.
Shami nailed it. They've taken a lad on, ruined the best part of his career for a quota. Doesnt get anywhere near the stick it should.

homegrown
Shami nailed it. They've taken a lad on, ruined the best part of his career for a quota. Doesnt get anywhere near the stick it should.
But you don't have to name x homegrown players, you simply cannot name more than x non homegrown players. They didn't sign him simply to hit a quota, they could have just left the spot empty. They signed him because they thought he'd do a job. Pep just decided he was **** after a month.

an empty spot doesn't offer depth though. They would have needed him if they had enough injuries, but they didn't.
OK, so they signed him to do a job. It wasn't simply to hit a quota as Omnom said. If they just wanted somebody to make up the numbers (not that they had to) then they'd have found somebody for less than £50m.

I don't think anyone was suggesting they just signed him with no intention of ever using him, but it's pretty clear being homegrown was the main reason.
If you're accepting that he was signed to play, at some point, then you must accept that he was signed because they thought he was good enough first and foremost because as we've seen, if Pep doesn't think you're up to it then you don't play. Not even City spend £50m on a player just to play dead rubbers and League Cup games - they could have got somebody for a lot less if that's all he was signed for. The fact that he is homegrown would have been a factor but the main reason for signing him was because they thought he was a very good player and if we rewound 18 months, the general consensus would have been he was a really good player and signing for City. It's just turned out **** for him.

In some ways the Phillips situation reminds me a bit of Danny Drinkwater, played most of the matches in the Leicester season, moved to Chelsea for 35m and then played 17 Premier League games in the next 5 years. Career died.

Dont get it.

You can look at the Celtic / rangers model in Scotland for the reasoning. Sign a decent player in the league to prevent a rival team from getting them. You don't have to improve your team but you can prevent another team from improving theirs.

Dont get it.
At Leeds he was poor until Bielsa came in, he was actually an attacking midfielder, it was Bielsa who converted him to the defensive role. A few times Bielsa would start him at CB to develop his positional awareness. In a Bielsa team, KP was vital, when Bielsa departed KP looked very ordinary.

Back
Top Bottom