Wokery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If people are so concerned about the public being overweight (which they are) then you'd be happy to ban adverts for alcohol, sugary drinks, high sugar/fat foods, fast foods, crisps etc. You can't expect companies like M&S or any fashion label to concern itself with the obesity problem when so many of the adverts are for the very foods that are making everyone fat.

Caporegime
If people are so concerned about the public being overweight (which they are) then you'd be happy to ban adverts for alcohol, sugary drinks, high sugar/fat foods, fast foods, crisps etc. You can't expect companies like M&S or any fashion label to concern itself with the obesity problem when so many of the adverts are for the very foods that are making everyone fat.

I don't think anyone objects to those being banned. I'm more surprised they haven't been, although I notice junk food adverts are now to be banned until 9pm.
Tbh won't do much as every high street is lined with bright and garish hoardings and shopfronts for takeaways and junk food restaurants.

Caporegime
For me , for something to be aspirational it needs to be achievable, a key aspect of aspiration is working towards betterment, if that's impossible then the goal isn't aspirational, it's just unachievable.

That's just false.

The health risks come from an industry feeding the pressure that many women feel to conform to a certain image in order to be considered attractive. The mental health impacts of this are well documented. Providing a more diverse representation through advertising helps to tear down some of the damaging concepts thats have arisen linking body image to self worth.

What? By substituting a model for a world-class female footballer and a famous Bollywood actress? :D

This is just a change in branding, I'm not sure how this necessarily makes any difference re: mental health, I guess she's got short hair and is perhaps not as tall but...

byXAOfM.jpg

Size 0 was hyperbole levelled at the fashion industry in general and their tendency to favour slim models. The fact of the matter is by tending to feature only slim or athletic models they alienate a decent chunk of the marketplace.

But I thought we were talking about VS here? The two big names they've signed are slim and/or athletic! Of course the fashion industry prefers slim models, they look good in the clothes!

The fact of the matter is, no matter how much this forum seems to think otherwise, not every action a company takes in the direction of inclusion is some kind of hippie leftist pandering to the "woke" crowd. Time will tell, the adage is "go woke, go broke" right? So if they suffer on the back of this then it's pandering to the minority, if the situation improves then it's reacting to the demands of their customers. Though I suspect there will be some further excuse as to why that wouldn't represent an indication that people actually want change. The whole debate is very tiresome.

No one claimed it was some hippie leftists pandering to the woke crowd, it's a company pandering to wokeness as that's apparently the thing to do these days. As for the debate being tiresome, no one is forcing anyone to debate this here.

Caporegime

There was an announcement about the government doing something along those lines today IIRC, particularly concerned about the advertising of junk food to kids.

Soldato
That's just false.

What? By substituting a model for a world-class female footballer and a famous Bollywood actress? :D

This is just a change in branding, I'm not sure how this necessarily makes any difference re: mental health, I guess she's got short hair and is perhaps not as tall but...

byXAOfM.jpg

But I thought we were talking about VS here? The two big names they've signed are slim and/or athletic! Of course the fashion industry prefers slim models, they look good in the clothes!

No one claimed it was some hippie leftists pandering to the woke crowd, it's a company pandering to wokeness as that's apparently the thing to do these days. As for the debate being tiresome, no one is forcing anyone to debate this here.

Ugh, I've been conflating the VS issue and the M & S ad campaign, the weekend clearly can't come soon enough.

I stand by the broad principals of my posts but in terms of specifics in relation to the VS situation I retract everything and leave my posts as a stark warning to future generations about the dangers of posting when tired.

Caporegime
Why would anyone need skin toned underwear anyway. O.o

Can't we not just ban fat people?

Every % body fat over 30% you have to pay 1% extra income tax (or lose 1%of benefits)?

Roll them in lard and drop em in the Irish sea, should thin them out on the swim back

Associate

This guy is totally on point. We need more of this type of reasoned discussions to tackle the issues rather then just generalised rubbish you get from the media most of the time.
Unfortunately it doesn't happen often as you get the extremists on either side jumping on it and using it to try to justify their own extreme views/agendas or politicians using it for their own agendas.

Soldato
Lol wat? When have women been slaughtered for being a normal weight or having a normal body?

Cant be that much pressure given that over 60% of the adult population in the UK isn’t at a normal weight but is overweight or obese!

If you honestly dont think theres more pressure on women to have bodies like that picture then youre deluded and to be honest youre trolling at this point.

fez

fez

Caporegime
This guy is totally on point. We need more of this type of reasoned discussions to tackle the issues rather then just generalised rubbish you get from the media most of the time.
Unfortunately it doesn't happen often as you get the extremists on either side jumping on it and using it to try to justify their own extreme views/agendas or politicians using it for their own agendas.

My favourite crazy woke white girl moment recently was the one equating the eating of meat to racism and white privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom