Wokery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Nothing. It's the Daily Mail that made this product line about George Floyd and looks like it's got the usual suspects all frothy mouthed, as per usual. The M&S press release doesn't mention George Floyd. You've fallen for it again.

This is how I read it too, nothing to do with George Floyd but more about the bigger picture. Utterly trash reporting as always. Gets the kids frothy though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm more annoyed at the pandering to fat people. I really dont think being overweight should be celebrated or seen as normal. It is simply bad for your health and a burden on the health service.

You can't help what colour you are, and it doesn't matter, but you can not be fat.

Hilarious that OP is seemingly outraged by a clothing company making some different colour knickers.

Caporegime
I'm more annoyed at the pandering to fat people. I really dont think being overweight should be celebrated or seen as normal. It is simply bad for your health and a burden on the health service.

You can't help what colour you are, but you can not be fat.

Those are just normal sized people and likely reflect the age/size of the people that will be buying their product. Not sure that's pandering to fat people? It's M&S not Victorias Secrets :cry:

Caporegime
Those are just normal sized people and likely reflect the age/size of the people that will be buying their product. Not sure that's pandering to fat people?

The woman in the middle picture is overweight though.

It isn't just M & S though. I'm just not fond of this growing culture that seems to indicate that being overweight is ok. I do get what you say about them reflecting what their customers may look like, but i get concerned that the more retailers do this, and the more they have overweight models emblazoned everywhere, the more that being overweight will be accepted and seen as fine/normal/

I am not hating on overweight people here. It absolutely is hard to keep fit and in shape in western society. However, i just dont think it is something that should be seen as "normal" or celebrated.

We have a sort of juxtaposition between our health service and medical professionals telling us repeatedly not to be overweight/ all scientific evidence pointing to the fact that being overweight is bad for your health, and then this growing (no pun intended) movement of body positivity around being overweight that says it is ok.

I would apply this to models used who are clearly underweight too, as that is also medically not good for you.

I think some of the ideas around body positivity are absolutely important, but it should be applied to those with medical conditions out of their control.

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife has a varied collection of bras in various colours ranging from her skin tone to dark brown... not exactly a new thing is it now? Jeez even my gran had light to dark brown underwear. Before you start asking the usual questions-she was very ill and had dementia and I looked after her for a long time.
In a nut shell this MS underwear thing is a total NON story.

Man of Honour
My wife has a varied collection of bras in various colours ranging from her skin tone to dark brown... not exactly a new thing is it now?
I totally agree, "M&S bring skin coloured underwear" definitely isn't a story. The point the OP is trying to make is that a company many perceive as almost a national institution is joining many other companies in taking advantage of an contributing to the increasing politicisation (and polarisation) of our culture.

Soldato
I don't see what the problem is.

Actually that's not fair. I see the problem with being, relatively, inspired by the murder of GF. They should've just said they're being more inclusive and making underwear in skin tones and left it at that. They didn't need to mention GF.

Good to give people options to have things which match their skin tone if they wish. I don't see why that would bother anyone.

Soldato
Unless you are of a perpetually offended nature
I don't get how someone could be offended at skin tone bras and knickers. They have been produced for 100s of years in all colours. If MS just released this range with in store/website/flyer and TV adverts then non of this would matter. Pretty sure I have seen skin tones bras in MS before anyway whilst shopping with the wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom