Woo-hoo, the clocks go back to GMT this weekend!

Soldato
I say this every year but changing the clocks is utterly pointless. Most people would prefer more daylight in the winter in the evening and it is clearly better for mental health. We should scrap it.

My mum worked during WW2 when they had double summertime, and she said at the height of summer, it never got dark until Midnight.

She said it was brilliant (the extra sunlight, not WW2).

Mobster
Soldato
My mum worked during WW2 when they had double summertime, and she said at the height of summer, it never got dark until Midnight.

She said it was brilliant (the extra sunlight, not WW2).

The impact on mental health is proven, lower daylight hours when people are awake (moving the clocks backwards makes no difference in practice as people are asleep) results in a decrease in vitamin D levels and so increases the likelihood of SAD.

Vitamin D supplementation is how I make it through the winter. Without it I get really bad SAD. There are so many reasons summer is better but that is just one.

Associate
Wake me up in March when Spring Begins. Cant stand Winter, only good thing is Greedy fortnight at Christmas when I eat my own body weight in food. Washed down with beer. The lovely smell of a christmas tree. From January the 3rd is just bleak horrible weather. Only seeing daylight on my days off, joints aching from the cold, Mountain bike rides requiring a rinse when its freezing. Car going from White to Brown. Hate post Christmas winter.

Soldato
Is it for just the farmers in Scotland?

You forget how many clocks that need changing. Got 3 wall clocks, 2 alarm clocks, clocks on microwave and oven, clock in the car, plus timer switches which I use to luminate my stairs. Those are the ones I have to change myself. Plus many more which change automatically/

Back
Top Bottom