World cup trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
reflex said:
I dont take the **** out of England at all. I don't take the game as seriously as others and it isn't my problem if others do. I think i was respectful with my posts and the people who say "I hope you bump into 50 England fans" is much worse than any of my replies.

Wasn't meaning you specifically.

Gilly said:
Cem, did you really expect it any other way? Honestly?

nope, but was hoping to save some folks accounts.

Associate
Big Kev said:
Until I see a more thoughtful attitude from the majority of the other home nations, then my attitude won't change and things haven't improved during the 43 years that I've been around and I can't see them changing in the forseeable future.

And your first line is ridiculous, we don't have the huge chip on our shoulders, it's the other nations that seem to take great delight in England losing at anything, stating that it's all down to the press coverage etc, which is just a feeble attempt to justify unwarranted hatred, now that's pathetic.

Its just a tad hard for us Non English parts of Great Britain too take when the BBC Media is more or less giving England fans the "were going to win" and show constant replays of a cup win 40 years ago....

Put the shoe on the other foot, imagine Scotland winning the World Cup 40 years ago, and Scottish Media being the dominant force over British content and reminding all home nations that we won it, even though it was 40 years ago..... I think other countries would be rather the same.

I was sorry for England today, I thought the game itself wasnt anything much of a game and Ranaldo, with a face like that, you would quite happily slap it all day and not tire.... I hope Rooney does smack him would be funny to see.... and a lot British people woiuld pay to see it, me included.....

I think a lot of people on the UK wouldnt be so the way they are mainly due to the Media and the way the screw up the hype.... Sure on paper England were a good bet to go far, but so was Argentina and look what happend to them.....

Unlucky England, wasnt really supporting you guys, but then again, I wished Ronaldo had missed his penalty in fact I was willing it to happen.... smug git, most unsportsman player I have seen in a long time.

Just my 2p, not a trolling post....

Caporegime
Vicar said:
Its just a tad hard for us Non English parts of Great Britain too take when the BBC Media is more or less giving England fans the "were going to win" and show constant replays of a cup win 40 years ago....

Put the shoe on the other foot, imagine Scotland winning the World Cup 40 years ago, and Scottish Media being the dominant force over British content and reminding all home nations that we won it, even though it was 40 years ago..... I think other countries would be rather the same.

I was sorry for England today, I thought the game itself wasnt anything much of a game and Ranaldo, with a face like that, you would quite happily slap it all day and not tire.... I hope Rooney does smack him would be funny to see.... and a lot British people woiuld pay to see it, me included.....

I think a lot of people on the UK wouldnt be so the way they are mainly due to the Media and the way the screw up the hype.... Sure on paper England were a good bet to go far, but so was Argentina and look what happend to them.....

Just my 2p, not a trolling post....

Well said mate. :)

Soldato
Big Kev said:
it's the other nations that seem to take great delight in England losing at anything, stating that it's all down to the press coverage etc, which is just a feeble attempt to justify unwarranted hatred, now that's pathetic.

I'll agree with you there Kev. My father is in Ireland this weekend and he called to say that the atmosphere there is shocking with the pubs bunged out with people celebrating Englands defeat. He said its like Ireland won the world cup.

My brother who lives in Scotland said his Scottish friends are over the moon and they are heading out to celebrate.

Some of my friends who are in Germany for the world cup have mentioned that England don't have many friends there or if any.

England is one of the most hated countrys in the world and its like in every other countries nature to hate them. All this crap about the media being the cause is just rubbish. England are truely hated and so called friendly countries like the Republic of Ireland and Scotland hate England.

Its the way it is unfortunately and I wanted England so bad to win the World Cup and silence everyone else.

Soldato
I dont see much anti-English celebrations where I am, but I guess all the English fans can go out to celebrate France winning? oh thats right, you hate them too :p

Soldato
Vicar said:

If that was the case, as a football fan, I'd accept that the Scottish press would be behind their team and if they had a team capable of winning the World Cup, as we did on paper, then the press would say the same as ours did, it's all about selling papers mate and those headlines do sell papers, getting everyone feeling patriotic, which is a good thing in my book.

Vicar said:

I'd like too see how the German, Brazilian and Argentinian press had operated before and during the WC, I doubt very much if they were any different to ours, but as I don't know, I can't really say much more.

One thing I never have and would never do, is to publicly display how happy I was if Scotland/Wales or Ireland were in the same situation, even if I felt that way. It all boils down to having respect for fellow supporters who are obviously feeling gutted, but then again, that's just me.

Soldato
Big Kev said:
If that was the case, as a football fan, I'd accept that the Scottish press would be behind their team and if they had a team capable of winning the World Cup, as we did on paper, then the press would say the same as ours did, it's all about selling papers mate and those headlines do sell papers, getting everyone feeling patriotic, which is a good thing in my book.

But you see there in lies the problem, The Scottish media is not Pro English, isnt particularly Anti-English, but not pro. The Problem we have is British media thinking its the English media. Its England jumping in and out of British mode when it suits. If its a UL wide broadcast we dont want to hear 'We' constantly talking about England as England isnt We. That is the problem, which is not a good thing in our book and is what gets us riled.

Soldato
JUMPURS said:
But you see there in lies the problem, The Scottish media is not Pro English, isnt particularly Anti-English, but not pro. The Problem we have is British media thinking its the English media. Its England jumping in and out of British mode when it suits. If its a UL wide broadcast we dont want to hear 'We' constantly talking about England as England isnt We. That is the problem, which is not a good thing in our book and is what gets us riled.

Why do Scottish people buy these papers then, if there wasn't the demand, then surely they'd do something about it??

Does that mean that because of the way the British/English press behave, whole nations hate England, if so, then that's pretty sad, considering most of us down here have very little respect for the press and don't trust them at all.

Soldato
Well my wife's away to her bed absolutely gutted (she's English) but she's been up here for seven years. At first she couldn't understand the animosity towards the English football team but having been up here for a while she understands perfectly well.

The problem is that in the UK we're unique in the world as far as certain sports go. We're one country but somehow continue to persuade UEFA and FIFA that we are four different countries. So, if we're four different countries at football why the hell shouldn't we support anyone we like? We have to endure the English media broadcasting to the UK. Can you imagine if in England your World Cup coverage and games were broadcast by the French media? You'd hate it. They'd be going on about 1998 and how they beat everyone in sight and how they won Euro 2000. You'd hate it. I don't blame the English media as such, because they're reacting as they probably should do, being patriotic and getting right behind their team. The problem from our point of view is that we don't have our own coverage, our own news etc etc. Now I'm not a supporter of Scottish Nationalism, I value the UK and Great Britain and I think there are a lot of values in this country that are not present anywhere else in the world but please understand that when we are effectivelty different nations when it comes to the football why the hell shouldn't we support who we like? Why should you expect us to supoprt England, Ireland (not in the UK) or anyone else for that matter?

Now when it comes to tennis, and Andy Murray's current campaign, I am more than happy for him to be described as British. As a tennis nation it's GB, it's a GB Davis Cup team not a Scottish or English team so I'm more than happy that it's for Britain although I am of course very proud that a fellow Scot is doing well on such an International stage.

I'm just disappointed that England didn't show the collective potential of the players they had available. Just imagine a world class manager rather than that neep having those players at his disposal. I'm sure you'd still be there.

Caporegime
Big Kev said:
I've personally experienced that attitude from a lot of Welsh, Scottish and Irish people over the years, not just people on these forums, but at work, pub etc.

I agree, near me there is a big irish pub. They wore argentina shirts in 98 and displayed the flag when they knocked us out. They support and buy shirts of whoever england are playing.

Ive never seen that from an english run pub/club.

Ive always wanted them all to qualify. It increases englands chnaces of getting further ;)

Caporegime
Big Kev said:
Why do Scottish people during these papers then, if there wasn't the demand, then surely they'd do something about it??

Does that mean that because of the way the British/English press behave, whole nations hate England, if so, then that's pretty sad, considering most of us down here have very little respect for the press and don't trust them at all.

I also remember the 'english' media getting right behind Jack Charltons Ireland in 94 when england failed to qualify.

Soldato
The English media are basically "doing their bit" to increase their viewers/sales when their nation is full of national spirit. With England having the largest population in the UK then of course the popular stations will be full of England stuff to try and capture the audience share.

It's the same here with our tabloids having "anti-English" stories as there's nothing else to write about and writing how great England are will mean decreased sales for them.

I think in the end it just comes down to money rather than some sense of national pride with the media.

Associate
Scream said:
I'll agree with you there Kev. My father is in Ireland this weekend and he called to say that the atmosphere there is shocking with the pubs bunged out with people celebrating Englands defeat. He said its like Ireland won the world cup.

So your father made his generisation on one pub in Ireland? Nice one.

The pub I was in today was all for England which would contradict your fathers findings.

The Irish were behind the English this year regardless of what you've heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom