World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

3840 x 1620 will give you the same look

Already done this, but it dont say anything about what I been asking - physical size as on the 34 UW!
Must be some res I can set that equells that 34 inch. Well it was just for fun, to get to see it before buing the thing :)

Didn’t really say much in the post other than you changed your mind as you don’t want to miss out :p:D

I agree, on paper it looks really good and even though like you I have my reservations I am willing to give it a go and hope it lives up to what I am hoping. For me it will be great as I will finally be able to go back to a 1440p which is a lot less demanding than 4K which I have been on for 7+ years now. Can just get a RTX 4070 and it will be plenty power for my needs :D

Yeah I know ..LOL.
What can I say - cant just stop dreaming of it and thats that!
Ahh yeah that is great also - lower then 4K res. But we have DLSS etc, but annyway, sure it wont hurt. Damn give me the screen allready :)

Im just on the 2060S, so I really need one of these nVidia 4X to. Cant wait. Really good times ahead!

It won't be anywhere near the same physical size on a 55" screen though - you'd need to drop right down to 2560x1080 for that

Yep, I need to calculate what res would make it in that dimension. Maybe it cant be done. But would be cool, to get a grip on exactly what size the 34 will be :)

Yep, I need to calculate what res would make it in that dimension. Maybe it cant be done. But would be cool, to get a grip on exactly what size the 34 will be :)

Using: https://lcdtech.info/en/data/pixel.size.htm

3840x2160 @ 55" = pixel size 0.317mm

Closest rounded resolution at 34" is 2560x1080 @ 34" = pixel size 0.31mm
Image Width (2560 * 0.31) = 793.6mm
Image Height (1080 * 0.31) = 334.8mm

Just to confirm

3440x1440 @ 34" = pixel size 0.231mm
Image Width (3440 * 0.231) = 794.6mm
Image Height (1440 * 0.231) = 332.6mm

Assuming you can get your CX55 to display 1:1 resolution, the physical size of the displayed image should be close enough to 34"UW (obviously the resolution is going to be lower)

Not a big fan of OLED because of potential burn in but looks interesting, not sure how I feel about the curve either.

Supposedly QD-OLED is a bit more resistant to burn in, plus Dell warranty is generally pretty good (but we'll see what the wording is when it comes out I guess! )

Iirc the 5 year extended warranty for the AW3821DW was ~£100 extra, so if the same is offered for this (and includes the burn in cover) then might be worth considering.

Last edited:
Is it March yet?

Feels so long away!

I'm not too worried about burn in, had my e7 since 2017 and been used for thousands of hours of gaming with huds etc. and still no sign there so fairly confident that considerably newer oled panel combined with other methods to help reduce burn in will/should provide peace of mind! And as mentioned, got warranty for it, I imagine there will be some t&c to that though i.e. only eligible if burn in is visible in normal usage under these settings etc.

Is it March yet?

Feels so long away!

I'm not too worried about burn in, had my e7 since 2017 and been used for thousands of hours of gaming with huds etc. and still no sign there so fairly confident that considerably newer oled panel combined with other methods to help reduce burn in will/should provide peace of mind! And as mentioned, got warranty for it, I imagine there will be some t&c to that though i.e. only eligible if burn in is visible in normal usage under these settings etc.
I have Steam Deck coming in 2 weeks that will help the time go by at least ;)

Hopefully I am able to secure one before stock runs out or I get one where it says dispatch in 3 months time..

If it's just the physical comparison you want, use something like TV Calculator as a stopgap until you figure out a way to display a suitable image on your 55".

Edit: Or Display Wars which overlaps the two sizes.

Thanks and I often use Displaywars; great for comparisons :)

Using: https://lcdtech.info/en/data/pixel.size.htm

3840x2160 @ 55" = pixel size 0.317mm

Closest rounded resolution at 34" is 2560x1080 @ 34" = pixel size 0.31mm
Image Width (2560 * 0.31) = 793.6mm
Image Height (1080 * 0.31) = 334.8mm

Just to confirm

3440x1440 @ 34" = pixel size 0.231mm
Image Width (3440 * 0.231) = 794.6mm
Image Height (1440 * 0.231) = 332.6mm

Assuming you can get your CX55 to display 1:1 resolution, the physical size of the displayed image should be close enough to 34"UW (obviously the resolution is going to be lower)

You Sir are a genious. Cant thank you enough for this :)
Totaly awesome, and will try to see if I can get that 1:1 resolution to stick. Maybe it's doable with CRU if not via NVCP!
Thanks again buddy, so appreciated :)

If burn-in is guaranteed it might be worth abusing the monitor so you can claim a replacement before the 3-year warranty expires.

Typical usage may not see visible burn-in until the 4th/5th year.
There are people out there that would actually do this. Sad but true :cry:

I have had OLED TV's for a while, and yeah in general I treat them carefully.

I'm not sure it's right to say to abuse it early on, but I think it's fair to say use as normal without being too careful, then you can see if it survives the test of time.

If they don't state guidelines around using it, then it should be able to work like a regular monitor would do in it's place.

Well said Mr Hippy :D
It's a monitor, and with the new tech + I read that Samsung are using some new thing - scanning the pixels automatic and takes measures. So I guess it wont be a problem at all!
Even LG's newer are so safe these days, and this should in theory, be even better!

Back
Top Bottom