World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
UPS Delivered on the day after shipping, no significant damage to the box, tamper tape intact. I have been using this monitor since Friday, I absolutely adore it! HDR films through MPC-HC are incredible, gaming is wonderful, and the text fringing looks like very fine/tiny chromatic aberration from a normal distance. Not ideal, but to me its a minor issue. My biggest issue is the VRR flicker. It's pretty noticeable, even at ~120fps when running 144Hz GSync. Black stabiliser helps a little bit but doesn't fix it. If you are busy in game or its a brighter scene, it isn't a problem.

Just ran Better ClearType Tuner with 1600 RGB and it seems pretty good (at 2200 text looks too a little too soft and grey imo). I will do some more testing with documents this week. I can control the lighting in my room, but even with the blinds open, black levels stay dark. Day to day I am running Creator mode, sRGB, 52 brightness (approx 120nits). A friend has a calibration kit which we will use to verify how the out of the box colour accuracy performs at 120nit, as the calibration report says its done at 250nit (100% brightness in SDR). But, photos and videos just pop even in SDR, colours are very natural.

Associate
UPS Delivered on the day after shipping, no significant damage to the box, tamper tape intact. I have been using this monitor since Friday, I absolutely adore it! HDR films through MPC-HC are incredible, gaming is wonderful, and the text fringing looks like very fine/tiny chromatic aberration from a normal distance. Not ideal, but to me its a minor issue. My biggest issue is the VRR flicker. It's pretty noticeable, even at ~120fps when running 144Hz GSync. Black stabiliser helps a little bit but doesn't fix it. If you are busy in game or its a brighter scene, it isn't a problem.

Just ran Better ClearType Tuner with 1600 RGB and it seems pretty good (at 2200 text looks too a little too soft and grey imo). I will do some more testing with documents this week. I can control the lighting in my room, but even with the blinds open, black levels stay dark. Day to day I am running Creator mode, sRGB, 52 brightness (approx 120nits). A friend has a calibration kit which we will use to verify how the out of the box colour accuracy performs at 120nit, as the calibration report says its done at 250nit (100% brightness in SDR). But, photos and videos just pop even in SDR, colours are very natural.
Yeah having used the monitor for a number of weeks now the VRR flicker is probably my only real annoyance.

Truth be told most games I don't notice it or it's very infrequent(only on loading screens or whatever), but there's some where it's particularly bad. Mainly games with mediocre frame pacing or "stutter". You'll see a flicker whenever the frame time deviated enough from the norm on a darkish scene.

Soldato
OP
Yes, Would've been nice to have bfi on the AW with the higher brightness and hz (i game in the dark at low brightness).
Was looking at the 42c2 until I saw they dropped the bfi @ 120. Went for this screen, but still a while to wait.
I'm still hurting from the transition between crt and LCD :D Still chasing res scaling, motion clarity and although oled tech has hit and passed the crt black level (crt had a faint glow), it still doesn't look as natural as high end crt. Obviously everything else is better on the new tech :)

What's the point of wanting BFI anyway and then saying you want a screen that's even brighter than the AW, BFI just makes any screen look dim it's not compatible with wanting a bright image

Associate
What's the point of wanting BFI anyway and then saying you want a screen that's even brighter than the AW, BFI just makes any screen look dim it's not compatible with wanting a bright image
Tbh I play with a dim screen, so with bfi I turn up the brightness and I'm happy. The brighter AW would make bfi a little more acceptable for those that like it a little brighter than me.

Associate
@Alienwhere you can’t just hook up a colorimeter that’s not profiled to a spectro with enough resolution to properly read the spd of QD oled’s. Something 5nm or below.
I thought this might be the case, but I think they still want to try it out of curiosity. I don't think I'll be applying any calibration profiles from its output like I did for my previous displays though.

G J

G J

Associate
Followed parts of the thread and looking forward to when OLED's go abit more mainstream and affordable as I'm still on a Dell U2414H.

Quick question as I dont find much info on it but what are these monitors and OLED's in general like in regards to eyestrain as my Dell was great but years of wear and my monitor has a problem where after on switching on parts of the monitor are dull until it warms up and then its ok but I'm sure the backlight/lighting is not the same as before. I was intrested in a Dell S2721DGF but doing some searches people saying it kills their eyes so it kinda put me off it.

Man of Honour
Zero eye strain due to a number of factors (glossy coating, OLED clarity, OLED motion smoothness, high refresh rate etc). Don't do what some people do with monitors in general though and whack up the brightness high thinking that high brightness = better picture/colours. This is not the case and never was for any quality monitor. Plus if you crank up contrast/brightness too high you begin to wash out highlight detail and because even 400nits is very very bright, will strain your eyes in low ambient light conditions.

There's also little to no uniformity issues since there is no backlight, and because there's no IPS glow/VA tinge or TN colour shift, there's no eye distraction as you work well into the night etc for long hours.

My brightness (and others too) is 53 and contrast at 66. others have their values give or take depending on ambient conditions and preference. 53 brightness is around 100cd/m2 which is typical of an average room/office environment and even with sunlight coming in, is bright enough to see and use applications no problems. When watching or playing HDR content, the brightness is locked out anyway as HDR standards take over brightness as needed, so your brightness settings in the OSD are just for SDR usage which will be 90%+ of the time really unless you only use the monitor for gaming/movies (example).

Reactions: G J
Associate
I find all the RGB a nice little feature at night to setup a gentle backlight or bias light, as running 120 nits in a dark room can still be quite bright. A dim orange, a dim white (similar to a bias light) or a dim purple to match my PC and keyboard. The down firing light isn't that bright but for subtle lighting its nice.

Associate
No update on my order they sent do to collect the old one and they didn't turn up
I think I'm at the point now where I have to cancel as need a screen for my lad so he wants my g7

Caporegime
I can't hear a fan at all on mine. Under what circumstances is fan noise most audible?

I've asked Dell for the promised refund, anyone else had there's?

It's normal for brightness to change slightly with the amount of white on the screen?

Last edited:
Associate
I can't hear a fan at all on mine. Under what circumstances is fan noise most audible?

It's normal for brightness to change slightly with the amount of white on the screen?
1) At least on mine the fan noise is honestly kinda random. Sometimes I can have been using the screen for a while and it'll be inaudible and other times it's quite noticeable. If I had to pick a time where I feel like I've heard it most it would be when the ambient temperature in the room is quite hot combined with me having had the monitor on for a number of hours consecutively.
2) Got my delay compensation refund within a week of requesting it after it was delivered.
3) Sadly normal for OLED due to ABL. On SDR I don't get it with the brightness set to 50. It's noticable in HDR with the HDR1000 mode though. I've got a OLED TV already though, so I've kinda gotten used to it.

Caporegime
1) At least on mine the fan noise is honestly kinda random. Sometimes I can have been using the screen for a while and it'll be inaudible and other times it's quite noticeable. If I had to pick a time where I feel like I've heard it most it would be when the ambient temperature in the room is quite hot combined with me having had the monitor on for a number of hours consecutively.
2) Got my delay compensation refund within a week of requesting it after it was delivered.
3) Sadly normal for OLED due to ABL. On SDR I don't get it with the brightness set to 50. It's noticable in HDR with the HDR1000 mode though. I've got a OLED TV already though, so I've kinda gotten used to it.

Thanks for this :)

Soldato

I was told they weren't giving refunds for delay (after being promised 10%) but after I raised a formal complaint I got a call from them and they approved it

Associate
Bit of a weird thing with the downlight.

If it's set to a lighting effect, like rainbow cycle, the downlights are turned on with the others. If I set every zone to a static colour, including the downlights, then the downlights aren't lit.

Soldato
Bit of a weird thing with the downlight.

If it's set to a lighting effect, like rainbow cycle, the downlights are turned on with the others. If I set every zone to a static colour, including the downlights, then the downlights aren't lit.

There's a touch-sensitive area in front of the bar (beneath the Alienware logo). It should turn on with your selected colour if you touch that area.

Back
Top Bottom