World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
An update

Thank you all for the advice, indeed when playing games in the dark room with HDR on is when the OLED leaves IPS in the dark this is just as expected from the OLED technology. The issue I had was that the IPS colours in desktop SDR mod are excellent already so the OLED improvement was minimal in that scenario

The panel I got as far as I can see/test is perfect, and this is in stark contrast with the tattered case it came in, well no one looks at the case in the loft anyway.

I know there are fans in the back I can not hear them, I game with headphones all the time and in my day-to-day office work can’t hear them over the normal case fans

All in all, I think I will keep the monitor, I have 3 years advance warranty from Dell in case of any problems

Good choice. I am not surprised though. When someone like Grim5 slags the monitor off for months on end and then ends up buying one and loving it, that says a lot :p

Soldato
OP
Entirely unsurprised considering how much they seem to love adding a curve to everything, even when it doesn't seem needed. At least for ultrawides I can kind of see it, but I still don't get why they bother with their 16:9 screens.

Samsung's larger VA panels look awful when flat. I think they still make some flat 24 inch but everything larger is curved

Soldato
OP
P3 is HDR color space so that's why it'd look over saturated in SDR. That's how P3 is suppose to look when color volume on the set is good.

It should only switch color spaces when HDR is triggered like using win+alt+B. Weird bug. Don't think I've seen or heard that before so might be new? Also make sure you have no icc profiles that windows tried to install under color management.

I've narrowed down the problem.

So what's happening is when the monitor comes out of standby it automatically changes the color profile to DCI P3 on all the HDMI ports. This only happens when I connect via HDMI, DisplayPort will stay in SRGB coming out of standby

Extremely annoying.

What will Dell do if I complain?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

So what's happening is when the monitor comes out of standby it automatically changes the color profile to DCI P3 on all the HDMI ports. This only happens when I connect via HDMI, DisplayPort will stay in SRGB coming out of standby

Extremely annoying.

There is a chance they will tell you to return it for a refund. Has happened to a few people here. Why do you want to use HDMI anyways?

Soldato

Extremely annoying.

Do you think there would be an option to change the HDMI profile in the service menu and save it on exit ? i don't think Dell give out firmware updates like other manufacturers do which is pretty silly in this day and age.

Not sure if this is the same method to access the service menu on all dell monitors.

Associate
Samsung's larger VA panels look awful when flat. I think they still make some flat 24 inch but everything larger is curved
They used to have it on their TVs too. I knew someone who had one. Was awful because you had to sit a specific spot in the living room else the colours looked kind of washed out. I'm not sure who at Samsung thought that was a good idea for a device that's generally used by a number of people all sat in different spots, lol.

Soldato
Still dont have a replacement for my knackered one. Was meant to arrive last week but UPS "lost" it. Now the next one is coming at the end of October :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
They used to have it on their TVs too. I knew someone who had one. Was awful because you had to sit a specific spot in the living room else the colours looked kind of washed out. I'm not sure who at Samsung thought that was a good idea for a device that's generally used by a number of people all sat in different spots, lol.

I think their TVs have a different coating now though, their newest coatings are quite good at improving viewing angle in VA but that coating also lowers maximum brightness and brightness is already quite low on the Samsung monitors

Soldato
OP
Do you think there would be an option to change the HDMI profile in the service menu and save it on exit ? i don't think Dell give out firmware updates like other manufacturers do which is pretty silly in this day and age.

Not sure if this is the same method to access the service menu on all dell monitors.

Sounds interesting but I can't get into the service menu with that guide because the aw34 doesn't have those buttons.

I found out why the aw34 doesn't get firmware updates; Dell is claiming that it can't let users do their own firmware updates on any monitor which has a Gsync ultimate module; if this monitor didn't have the module and was only rated for Gsync compatible it would have downloadable firmware files

Though the question i have is it this is even a legit excuse; if what Dell says is true then other Gsync ultimate monitors should also have firmware that can't be updated by the user.

I do know that this Asus monitor is also Gsync ultimate and yea I can see on the support page there is no downloadable firmware https://rog.asus.com/us/monitors/32-to-34-inches/rog-swift-pg32uqx-model/helpdesk_download/

But Dell didn't explain why, so I don't know if it's a legal reason from Nvidia why they can't or simply a technical reason like the monitor's firmware runs through the Gsync module and the module updated has to be opened up to access a service port as the only way to update it

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Dell have emailed to confirm the 29th Sept ship date of my replacement. They have said that they will try to find an alternative way to get a replacement sooner but otherwise I can get a full refund.

I will wait.

Associate
Earlier in this thread I reported that the pre auth payment had fallen off my account for the screen. I've had the screen for 3 weeks and still not been charged. Anyone else who waited for over 4 months been charged yet?

Soldato
OP
Found a solution to keeping the monitor in sRGB: Turn off Eco mode.

Is there any side effect from this? I'm on firmware MOB102.

Dell has confirmed that having Eco mode on can cause the monitor to switch to DCI-P3 color when you have creator mode enabled, but with Eco mode off, the monitor will stay in SRGB if SRGB was selected in creator mode when the monitor turned off or went into standby.

In summary, the behaviour is:

* Using Standard mode: Monitor will stay in standard mode (which only uses dcip3 color) after turning on from standby.

* Using creator mode: Monitor will stay in Creator-dcip3 after waking from standby, but Monitor will switch to dcip3 after waking from creator-srgb.

Soldato
OP
Found some other interesting info

Regarding why some people here prefer gamma 2.2 and some prefer 2.4. It's because the gamma performance changes on this monitor based on your brightness setting. So someone who's in creator mode with low brightness set, they will prefer 2.2 but someone in creator mode who has high brightness set will prefer 2.4

Associate
Found a solution to keeping the monitor in sRGB: Turn off Eco mode.

Is there any side effect from this? I'm on firmware MOB102.

Dell has confirmed that having Eco mode on can cause the monitor to switch to DCI-P3 color when you have creator mode enabled, but with Eco mode off, the monitor will stay in SRGB if SRGB was selected in creator mode when the monitor turned off or went into standby.

In summary, the behaviour is:

* Using Standard mode: Monitor will stay in standard mode (which only uses dcip3 color) after turning on from standby.

* Using creator mode: Monitor will stay in Creator-dcip3 after waking from standby, but Monitor will switch to dcip3 after waking from creator-srgb.
Is this when you let the monitor to go into its sleep/stand by state on its own?

I don't believe I've experienced it on the original firmware, but I always just power the monitor off using the power button.

Soldato
OP
Is this when you let the monitor to go into its sleep/stand by state on its own?

I don't believe I've experienced it on the original firmware, but I always just power the monitor off using the power button.

Yeah when it goes into standby because the pc has turned off. Hasn happened to me if I use the power button but I've only used the button maybe 4 times

Back
Top Bottom