World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
OP
Samsung QD-OLED shown off here

Has a shiny silver stand and silver bezel and strangely, it comes with a remote and has apps installed, like Netflix

The fact that it has apps like a TV and a remote, I think, suggests that Samsung sees this monitor as competing for the same buyer who would be buying an LG OLED TV to use a monitor

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Samsung QD-OLED shown off here

Has a shiny silver stand and silver bezel and strangely, it comes with a remote and has apps installed, like Netflix

The fact that it has apps like a TV and a remote, I think, suggests that Samsung sees this monitor as competing for the same buyer who would be buying an LG OLED TV to use a monitor

Hmm it has Freesync Premium, so no fan but does it have a custom heatsink like Asus? If not then it will still have a fan for the panel.

I am tempted to refund the AW and get the Asus PG42UQ, everything about it looks good and if their claim to preventing burn-in thanks to the custom heatsink holds up, then that sells itself surely.

As shown in the video, you can run it at 34" 21:9 too so there is that for immersion seekers when gaming.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hmm it has Freesync Premium, so no fan but does it have a custom heatsink like Asus? If not then it will still have a fan for the panel.

I am tempted to refund the AW and get the Asus PG42UQ, everything about it looks good and if their claim to preventing burn-in thanks to the custom heatsink holds up, then that sells itself surely.

As shown in the video, you can run it at 34" 21:9 too so there is that for immersion seekers when gaming.

The ASUS does look good. But they will probably want £1300 for it and no chance I would pay that. Also if anyone thought Dell warranty service was bad, wait and see what will happen when you go ASUS :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
£1400:D

But yes the lack of a 3 year warranty inc burn in etc that Dell have would be of concern - And I've never dealt with Asus support but have had nothing but good service from Dell lol.

Basically Dell/Alienware need to release a custom heatsink model of this AW. We know the Gsync fan isn't that loud on its own since other monitors have it too and are quieter, so it's the 2nd panel fan that is what people are hearing. Ditch it and use a heatsink like Asus and I'm all over it. otherwise maybe I'll just be swapping screens under warranty until they do? :p

Associate

The problem I have is it's hard to know for sure how much it's actually going to help burn-in. We got the spiel that QD-OLED should be less susceptible to burn-in with reasoning of why it should but it still seemingly happens, maybe due to panel lottery or something else. So it's hard to know for if the heatsink will improve it that much, it should in theory help, but it's hard to say how much since it depends on a lot of factors without long term testing, much like we couldn't realistically know with this QD-OLED either. At least the Dell offers warranty support for peace of mind, it's why I was willing to gamble on it. TFTcentral were trying to get a response on whether the ASUS warranty will cover it, since there's currently nothing on the website about OLEDs, only that it's not covered for traditional LCDs.

Personally the coating(combined with the price of course) would be the deal breaker for me. I just much prefer glossy panels. Reflections can be annoying sometimes, but honestly I don't like how AG coatings often deal with glare either, when it gets diffused across the screen it can sometimes be more annoying to me than a mirror-like reflection.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
£1400:D

But yes the lack of a 3 year warranty inc burn in etc that Dell have would be of concern - And I've never dealt with Asus support but have had nothing but good service from Dell lol.

Basically Dell/Alienware need to release a custom heatsink model of this AW. We know the Gsync fan isn't that loud on its own since other monitors have it too and are quieter, so it's the 2nd panel fan that is what people are hearing. Ditch it and use a heatsink like Asus and I'm all over it. otherwise maybe I'll just be swapping screens under warranty until they do? :p

Lol. Not remotely worth the extra imo. Rather wait for next iteration of QD-OLED that is 4K and go with Dell again.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The problem I have is it's hard to know for sure how much it's actually going to help burn-in. We got the spiel that QD-OLED should be less susceptible to burn-in with reasoning of why it should but it still seemingly happens, maybe due to panel lottery or something else. So it's hard to know for if the heatsink will improve it that much, it should in theory help, but it's hard to say how much since it depends on a lot of factors without long term testing, much like we couldn't realistically know with this QD-OLED either. At least the Dell offers warranty support for peace of mind, it's why I was willing to gamble on it. TFTcentral were trying to get a response on whether the ASUS warranty will cover it, since there's currently nothing on the website about OLEDs, only that it's not covered for traditional LCDs.

Personally the coating(combined with the price of course) would be the deal breaker for me. I just much prefer glossy panels. Reflections can be annoying sometimes, but honestly I don't like how AG coatings often deal with glare either, when it gets diffused across the screen it can sometimes be more annoying to me than a mirror-like reflection.

Yep. Prefer glossy also. I would rather go with C2 than this which can be had for £500 less at Costco. But saying that I would still rather stick with this than even do that.

Associate
A setting that I would like on future iterations is a setting that I use on the c9 called "fine tune dark areas". It allows small adjustments to the near black gamma curve when vrr is enabled. Comes in handy for demanding games that average well below the 175. Game is maxing at 70 fps, then you can change the near black gamma via the setting and mitigate the issue.
Fortunately, with the lower resolution it isnt as big an issue as on my c9. But if we start seeing 4k uw oleds, I think it is a really good setting to have.

Soldato
OP
Do these fixes work in games? Not bothered about the desktop, but I have noticed the fringing in some games.

Edit, didn't see your Tldr, unfortunate.

In theory using the software MacType can make text sharper and fix the fringing, however in testing this software only affects text in some parts of windows, like file explorer and it does not inject system wide so does not fix anything in web browsers, games or additional apps like Microsoft word or excel. The adjustments need to somehow be applied at a lower global level so it's Microsoft that needs to update Windows 11 to utilise better rendering settings for non RGB panel types like OLEDS use

Back
Top Bottom