World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This guy is using a S95B qd-oled as a monitor and says he has burn in from windows taskbar

With 33 months warranty remaining should not be a big issue. There was likely always going to be some reports of burn in which has an impact on a small number of units. It becomes an issue if it starts happening most units out there, but even then I would just get a refund if it becomes a huge problem. But first let me use it for a year or two :p

Soldato
Do these fixes work in games? Not bothered about the desktop, but I have noticed the fringing in some games.

Edit, didn't see your Tldr, unfortunate.

The game part is more complex, most AA implementations in games do subpixel AA assuming a standard RGB layout. Even the BGR pixel layouts suffer as a result. It will take a very long time for the games to update their built-in AA.

However, if Microsoft and Nvidia/AMD sort this out quickly which I expect they will you should be able to disable AA in games and use Nvidia/AMD's implementations which should sort this out.

If we get denser screen choices (like 160ppi or higher), this will automatically be far less noticeable.

Soldato
OP
Samsung is expanding QD-OLED production from 30k wafers per month to 39k wafers per month, the extra production will be used to deliver two new panel sizes in 2023. A 77inch for TVs and a 49inch for TVs and gaming monitors.

However while welcome, Samsung OLED production is still well behind LG which does 90k wafers per month, so can offer sizes Samsung can't yet.

And that's it for now; there is so far no indication that Samsung to make gaming monitor panels available in sizes other than 34 inch and 49 inch in the first half of 2023, but Samsungs plans for the 2nd half of 2023 and 2024 is not known, they may expand production further and introduce new sizes.

It's also worth noting this additional production volume announced is due to process optimization. Samsung has not decided to invest in and build new QDOLED production lines, they've just managed to improve their existing production lines to the point where they can process an extra 30% wafers.

Associate
With 33 months warranty remaining should not be a big issue. There was likely always going to be some reports of burn in which has an impact on a small number of units. It becomes an issue if it starts happening most units out there, but even then I would just get a refund if it becomes a huge problem. But first let me use it for a year or two :p
Only thing that puts me off oled for pc is burn in, even with warranty , who wants to be sending stuff backward and forward. Shame as the display looks amazing . I think my ocd would miss the height from 4k too :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Only thing that puts me off oled for pc is burn in, even with warranty , who wants to be sending stuff backward and forward. Shame as the display looks amazing . I think my ocd would miss the height from 4k too :D
Once stock levels are back to normal it will be a next day replacement. If it happens more than once you can sell it or ask for a refund. I rather that then an IPS that for sure will have IPS glow and some back light bleed.

Caporegime
Still nothing on mine and it's on basically from 7am till 11pm. No burn in on my lg e7 since 2017 either for what it's worth (used for a lot of gaming)

As tna said, it's a risk worth taking for the superior iq you get and not having to deal with poor blacks and contrast ratio which affects your image all the time.

Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Still nothing on mine and it's on basically from 7am till 11pm. No burn in on my lg e7 since 2017 either for what it's worth (used for a lot of gaming)

As tna said, it's a risk worth taking for the superior iq you get and not having to deal with poor blacks and contrast ratio which affects your image all the time.

Damn boy. You use yours a lot more than I do, if there is a general issue that develops with these after certain amount of use then you will find out way before me :p

Caporegime
Damn boy. You use yours a lot more than I do, if there is a general issue that develops with these after certain amount of use then you will find out way before me :p
Haha yup more than likely! Flick between it for personal and work usage. Maybe saying it is on "all" the time during then is not technically correct :p i.e. it would be on standby for a 2-3 hours between between 7 and 11 but either way, if it is a common issue, I'm fully expecting it to show something within the next 1-2 months. Even then, if there is an ever so slight amount of burn in, I'm not sure I'll bother getting a replacement yet as in normal usage outside full coloured slides, you're more than likely not going to notice, same way you wouldn't notice 1-2 dead pixels.

Associate

did you check burn in by using a dark grey background?

Soldato
OP
I've had mine for couple weeks now so far so good

It gets a lot of use as I'm working and gaming on it, roughly 10/11 hours screen on a day.

As it has the warranty I don't really care if it burns in but if it does get burn in then I will go back to IPS and get rid of it. I still kept my old IPS monitor so I'd go back to that

Soldato
Samsung is expanding QD-OLED production from 30k wafers per month to 39k wafers per month, the extra production will be used to deliver two new panel sizes in 2023. A 77inch for TVs and a 49inch for TVs and gaming monitors.

However while welcome, Samsung OLED production is still well behind LG which does 90k wafers per month, so can offer sizes Samsung can't yet.

And that's it for now; there is so far no indication that Samsung to make gaming monitor panels available in sizes other than 34 inch and 49 inch in the first half of 2023, but Samsungs plans for the 2nd half of 2023 and 2024 is not known, they may expand production further and introduce new sizes.

It's also worth noting this additional production volume announced is due to process optimization. Samsung has not decided to invest in and build new QDOLED production lines, they've just managed to improve their existing production lines to the point where they can process an extra 30% wafers.

I was hoping they'd do a 42" instead of 49".

Caporegime
Highly recommend immortals fenyx rising on this (on gamepass now). Was initially playing on lg e7 (as more of a controller + lye back kind of game) but tried it out on the AW and the colours just look so much better. Great HDR showcase too.

Soldato
Any way to see powered on time on these? Like a couple of the guys above, mine has been on a good few hours a day, 5 days a week 8am-4pm and several hours in the evening most days, would guess coming up to the 1500hrs panel refresh timer

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
There is a service menu as with all Dells, but nobody as of yet has found the button combo to access it! That menu would show the usage stats I bet.

Soldato
OP
Does any other Alienware have a single nipple button like the aw34 does? Cause the service menu combination may be the same

Soldato
Had the monitor four weeks now I think. It's phenomenal and what we've all been waiting for.

Now it came with two stuck bright pixels and a few dead green and blue subpixels but these were unnoticeable outside of test patterns.

Two days ago I rang Dell, sending them pictures of the pixels and they are sending a new one.

However I ran test patterns for dead pixels again and the two bright ones are GONE. Got the GF to confirm this also.
I was like WTH. Can this happen with OLEDs? It's my first foray into it (outside of PSVita and PsVR lol) cheers.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
They're organic pixels, so in theory could come back to life if they were asleep I guess :p

I have yet to see any stuck pixels on both AWs so far, so hoping the replacement I get from the 29th remains as such.

Soldato
g most units out there, bu
Had the monitor four weeks now I think. It's phenomenal and what we've all been waiting for.

Now it came with two stuck bright pixels and a few dead green and blue subpixels but these were unnoticeable outside of test patterns.

Two days ago I rang Dell, sending them pictures of the pixels and they are sending a new one.

However I ran test patterns for dead pixels again and the two bright ones are GONE. Got the GF to confirm this also.
I was like WTH. Can this happen with OLEDs? It's my first foray into it (outside of PSVita and PsVR lol) cheers.

I have heard that they can become 'unstuck'.

Back
Top Bottom