World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
Is there a rumoured price other than speculation here? I'm interested to see if there is. I think the more recent AW34 model was £1200 odd on launch so I may expect a bit of an uplift as it's new tech, I'd be surprised if it's £1.5K or less tbh, I'm kind of expecting initial RRP to be higher.
Fomo/US top retailer were guessing it was $6K-8K for the QD-OLED 65" sony flagship TV. Asus Rog 42" OLED with heatsink and better peak brightness probably £1600-1800 guesstimate, LG and Sony 42" OLED guessing £800-1K.
When Asus charges £3000+ for LCD monitor, you really think this kind new tech is going to be priced lower than that?

Man of Honour
I do. Asus pricing and pricing from brands like that in general can often be eyebrow raising and not just with monitors.

Anyone here using a curved ultra wide for video editing? Any drawbacks?

Yes I have the Huawei Mateview GT currently which is 34" curved. Also had the curved version of my current LG 34" ultrawide. For video editing curved is fine. For photo editing that's where I found it to give the illusion of curved lines when they were in actual fact straight in the photos I was editing which made editing architecture and landscapes etc a bit funky.

Curved for media and games beats a flat however. I can deal with a subtle curve but the Huawei curve is massive and the LG one was less so but still noticeable.

Caporegime
Not to mention look at the pricing of previous oled monitors which specs look awful in comparison to this i.e. they had no free/g sync, only 60HZ, only 27" etc. etc. and they were/are 3k

Man of Honour
Only a woeful number of brands made those early OLED monitors though, heck even today that gen of OLED is still limited to a couple of brands so I can imagine why the price remained high for ages. Now though things have changed. Whilst Samsung are the only ones doing QD-OLED, the panels are being used by a host of brands and I fully expect the remainder to join the bandwagon too because once these QD versions get into the eyeballs of the masses nobody is going to want to play on an LCD gaming monitor again really from what I'm reading and seeing in those CES videos and preview insights.

The way I see it, LCD tech will slow down from this year and QD-OLED will only rocket upwards. I can see that 3yr warranty extending to 5 years in gen 2 for example.

V F

V F

Soldato
Man, Cyberpunk 2077 on that display is going to look, mind blowing. The texture in the inky blacks with HDR will be quite an experience on Ultra Wide. Literally like looking through a portal of a window and reach in.

Soldato
I do. Asus pricing and pricing from brands like that in general can often be eyebrow raising and not just with monitors.

Yes I have the Huawei Mateview GT currently which is 34" curved. Also had the curved version of my current LG 34" ultrawide. For video editing curved is fine. For photo editing that's where I found it to give the illusion of curved lines when they were in actual fact straight in the photos I was editing which made editing architecture and landscapes etc a bit funky.

Curved for media and games beats a flat however. I can deal with a subtle curve but the Huawei curve is massive and the LG one was less so but still noticeable.
Great, thanks for the feedback!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
When Asus charges £3000+ for LCD monitor, you really think this kind new tech is going to be priced lower than that?

Yeah you could be right sadly, I did look at that 43" rog strix VA panel at 1.3k earlier, but even that feels overpriced. Actually does not appear gaming panels bothered to adjust pricing given the LG OLED competition.

Am still hoping Asus price according to LG and Sonys direct 42" OLED panel offering, but yeah wont be shocked if they don't bother, fingers crossed.

Soldato
Now though things have changed. Whilst Samsung are the only ones doing QD-OLED, the panels are being used by a host of brands and I fully expect the remainder to join the bandwagon too...
And what's the natural result of that more demand for the panels without production capacity to match it?
High prices.

LG's OLED production capacity is far bigger than what Samsung has for these QD-OLEDs.

Of course it's small possibility that Samsung decides to keep panel prices under control to take market share from PC monitors.
But that doesn't prevent monitor brands from rising the prices.
And there really isn't OLED panel competition in monitors, so Samsung doesn't have much price pressure.

Soldato
OP
When these monitors hit the market they can charge whatever they want for them because they have no competition

Soldato
When these monitors hit the market they can charge whatever they want for them because they have no competition

Of course they do. Sure, there's no QD-OLED - but there's OLED and IPS/VA/TN. Luckily, LG have roughly set the pricing model for OLEDs at various sizes - granted the 42" will be a new edition but they basically can't price it higher than the 48". A 42" OLED at <£1000 makes for very tough competition on a 34" QD-OLED at £1500+ and makes for a no brainer at £2k+. Then you have the current range of ultrawides, from even Alienware themselves -- the AW3821DW at ~£1k (this price varies quite a lot due to regular sales) is again *very* tough competition to its smaller QD brother if priced incorrectly.

They can price it wherever they want, but there's absolutely competition - the "first to market" only gives them so much leeway. It all depends on how much volume they WANT to move -- if they want to sell 10 units in the UK, go for ASUS level pricing (ie stupid) -- if they want to sells 100's/1000's, they have to fall roughly in line with where the rest of the market is at.

Associate
Well one thing is that LG OLEDs have pretty terrible color volume and 120 Hz these days is low-end. Samsung QD-OLED handily beats LG OLED in those areas, in a more palatable size.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Some more detailed comparisons of Samsungs QD OLEDs

Interesting times a head, I do like the better viewing angles that QD-OLED supposedly brings also.

Soldato
but there's OLED and IPS/VA/TN.

Luckily, LG have roughly set the pricing model for OLEDs at various sizes - granted the 42" will be a new edition but they basically can't price it higher than the 48".
LCDs aren't competition, because self emissive pixel tech shreds them to pieces and pees on graves.
And neither there's OLED competition, because only desktop size OLEDs are 60Hz and even those cost arm and both legs.

Soldato
First models are 34 inch ultrawide QD-OLED panels with 175hz refresh. Both Dell and Samsung have announced a new gaming monitor with this panel

Specs:

34 inch Ultrawide, 3440x1440 @ 175hz 10bit QD-OLED panel. 0.1ms response time, 99.3% DCI-P3 and 1 million:1 contrast ratio, 1000nits peak brightness, Gsync Ultimate, 3 year warranty.

Launch is in March/April, No price yet but given the 65 inch TVs are $8k usd I wouldn't be surprised if this first QD-OLED gaming monitor are several thousand too

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/dell-alienware-aw3423dw-with-34-qd-oled-panel-and-175hz-refresh-rate

Edit: Linus was given early access to test it, video below

Looks like this video isn't even filmed in HDR :(

Caporegime
We also had/have dell and sony oled monitors too, dell one was more consumer grade where as the sony oled monitor was for the pro. market and even then, the dell was still 5k iirc.

Be happy if this is even £3k imo lol... Just no way this will be cheaper than that:

- gsync module - we all know that adds a massive fee, usually a £300+ premium over the freesync version
- QD OLED - first to market of any kind, even the TV market, sonys QD OLED TV has been said to be coming out at £8k and we all know the tv market is cheaper
- ultrawide and curved - we all know this form factor costs more than the bog standard 16.9 4k panels
- alienware branding - not much needs to be said here
- 3 year warranty cover for burn in
- Throw in a high refresh rate of 175HZ and the first oled monitor to have a refresh rate over 60HZ

Optimistic price expectation 3.5k.... but fully expecting it to be 4/5k

Last edited:
Caporegime
We also had/have dell and sony oled monitors too, dell one was more consumer grade where as the sony oled monitor was for the pro. market and even then, the dell was still 5k iirc.

Be happy if this is even £3k imo lol... Just no way this will be cheaper than that:

- gsync module - we all know that adds a massive fee, usually a £300+ premium over the freesync version
- QD OLED - first to market of any kind, even the TV market, sonys QD OLED TV has been said to be coming out at £8k and we all know the tv market is cheaper
- ultrawide and curved - we all know this form factor costs more than the bog standard 16.9 4k panels
- alienware branding - not much needs to be said here
- 3 year warranty cover for burn in
- Throw in a high refresh rate of 175HZ and the first oled monitor to have a refresh rate over 60HZ

Optimistic price expectation 3.5k.... but fully expecting it to be 4/5k

I think I'll just a 48" C1 and wait it out.

Back
Top Bottom