World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Cnets Sony QD-OLED early look also has an Sony OLED A90j next to it, but take any comparisons with salt as usual

I wonder why no other reviews have mentioned it if it's so noticeable?

Also anyone have any ideas why they would have chosen such an unusual subpixel layput rather than standard?

I wonder why no other reviews have mentioned it if it's so noticeable?

Also anyone have any ideas why they would have chosen such an unusual subpixel layput rather than standard?

Depends how sensitive you are too it, I suspect most normal users don't care

here you can see the issue - top of the white letters have a Green haze and the sides and bottom has a Red/Purple haze

The letter "e" is quite affected, it has both green and red/purple glow/haze

Here I zoomed in for you

now you will clearly see that white letters are not really white on the edges

Honestly all well and good zooming in. Visually at about 2ft from screen where does standard text look like in real life is what important. Not zoomed in to pixel level from 2"

Well that's certainly made me think twice / thrice about buying one of those. My wallet face has turned slightly in favour of the PG42UQ.
Yeah, that is indeed rather undesirable as I am one of those people who sit close to a monitor which is probably why I have always preferred higher resolution all these years.

I plan on still getting one if I can and see how I get on with it. Worst case I send it back or sell it on and get an LG OLED.

I bet a 4K version of this monitor would suffer less from this. 1440p has always been a bit potato for me, but some have mentioned it being OLED helps. We will soon see I guess.

Honestly all well and good zooming in. Visually at about 2ft from screen where does standard text look like in real life is what important. Not zoomed in to pixel level from 2"

That's why I said I suspect most users won't care. I'm on of those who probably won't care; people told me that text would look bad on my LG OLED TV yet to me it looks perfectly fine

but then maybe some people are just more sensitive to it and spot these things easier - the German reviewer said he could see the green/purple on edges in review videos he's seen and that's not zoomed in

Yes very possible. Not critical anyways. Pretty sure the discount codes will work as long as they genuine. I am still in debate about getting one. People seem to be convinced it solid and tbh I have a student code (from work colleague) which would give 23% off so I can see that being a solid amount. Sell old monitor for £100 takes a little more of sting out of it and I will purchase through Zilch to get 2% instant cashback as well to go into the xmas present funds if do.

Blimey, that's quite a big saving.

Anyone here got a spare student discount code they won't be using?

A little concerned over some of the negative and conflicting reviews I have read on Reddit but I guess it’s better to try out in person and I can always get a refund from Dell if it’s not what I expect. Definitely some strange comments on Reddit about this monitor that the panel needs a week to be broken in or that the green tint can be eliminated by reducing the value of green in calibration settings and then restoring this colour to the normal values.

WxnwUO8.png
ie5uoHr.png

In fairness, looking at this gameplay from a reasonable distance and you can see it here on the icons and the white text so looks like it will be a no. The 42" LG is too large for my space so looks like I will be waiting then.

Do Dell organise collection for returns :D?

Think I'll still give this a chance but that issue is pretty bad and apparent when looking for it, hoping less noticeable at my standard viewing distance

The UFO comparison in this article, no idea how zoomed that is but if I open the imagine the white lines are no longer white :D, especially obvious comparing to the IPS example.
Alienware 34 QD-OLED (AW3423DW) gaming monitor review | PC Gamer

I hope this issue will be blown out of proportion over the weekend on Reddit and UK forums. It will increase a chance of buying one for me:D

Do Dell organise collection for returns :D?

Think I'll still give this a chance but that issue is pretty bad and apparent when looking for it, hoping less noticeable at my standard viewing distance

The UFO comparison in this article, no idea how zoomed that is but if I open the imagine the white lines are no longer white :D, especially obvious comparing to the IPS example.
Alienware 34 QD-OLED (AW3423DW) gaming monitor review | PC Gamer

Well spotted didn't notice that before - when flicking back and forth yeah it's very noticeable now, the ips actually looks white but white on the Alienware looks purple! Uh...what a disappointment aye

This video seems to show the same grid pattern on the screen as the photo here - wonder if that's visible in person...

0f3kxru67jl81.jpg

What is that showing in the image. It isn't on the C1. Looks like a grid pattern over it all?

Back
Top Bottom