World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Caporegime
I posted a video or two of the fan noise before if you look back, It is audible in the video and is audible from several feet away when the fan is in its nominal speed after some time being used. It's not loud, but you certainly can hear it amongst ambient house noise.

Does seem like there is a massive variance in this. I'll try to take a video later tonight when it is near silent in terms of ambient/environment noises.

Looking like dell might not be able to do my full refund so means I'll have to return this one and wait on the second order to show up. If the fan noise is as bad as some say on my second one, I'll just start going through replacements till I get one which is quiet :p

Associate
Yup noticed no flicker in either refresh rate on that test on mine.

I wasn't expecting flicker, just the first few almost black boxes to get ever so slightly more visible when changing from 175 to 60.

The waffle I wrote about the flicker is just explaining how the slight change in gamma in the black level test manifests in a game (slight almost unnoticeable gamma raise in my test = flicker when the framerate is quickly bouncing between 120 and 60 in the odd game that is both dark and has this frametime behavior, flicker is easier to notice than the very slight gamma raise)

Man of Honour
Ah I see! I can't say if it changes the blocks in other modes but on sRGB and in Creator mode I would not expect them to change at all given the Creator mode is specifically to maintain a certain output. Also the ambient light sensor is turned off too as that will no doubt introduce some visibility of tests like that depending on how bright the room is.

Associate
I'm trying not to worry too much about the fan, but I did spend a lot of time and effort getting my build to be nearly silent. I don't mind it ramping up in HDR or whatever, but when I'm just working on a document or something I do like my peace and quiet.

Associate
Ah I see! I can't say if it changes the blocks in other modes but on sRGB and in Creator mode I would not expect them to change at all given the Creator mode is specifically to maintain a certain output. Also the ambient light sensor is turned off too as that will no doubt introduce some visibility of tests like that depending on how bright the room is.

If affected, the effect would happen in all modes when vrr is on. So if you see no difference and it stays exactly the same, that is great news. May I ask if your screen came with brightness at 52?

My question is helping if I keep my Dell order, or go for the 42 c2. Don't want to order both at the same time if it an be helped. If this has flicker, ill go c2, if not I'm well up for trying an ultrawide.

Soldato
I just noticed that it syncs down to 24Hz when watching full screen video. (In Netflix App) :p

Also no VRR flicker when its going that low either. (Also using my own DP cable, not the one in box).

20220328_175207.jpg

Associate
I just noticed that it syncs down to 24Hz when watching full screen video. (In Netflix App) :p

Also no VRR flicker when its going that low either. (Also using my own DP cable, not the one in box).

20220328_175207.jpg

I think I am confusing things. The low hz doesn't cause flicker. Any steady framerate is fine. My test, doesn't make flicker, but the results can tell me if it does exist. I can't really use games as an example because everyone's setup is different and what flickers on mine, May not on yours. It is rare in game and is manifested in load screens way more often. I can play different games for months and never see it, then I get a game and bam I see it. For me, I saw it a lot in the Ascent and the Medium.

For people reading this, I must stress that Oled is amazing. I buy a lot of TV's and monitors. Every upgrade since LCD took off has been minor, UNTIL oled. Wow. Don't let my talk of raised gamma and vrr flicker put you off. Even with this the benefit imo is so much bigger.

Man of Honour
Ah my MPC isn't running in exclusive full screen mode so all videos in full screen are 144Hz :p

If affected, the effect would happen in all modes when vrr is on. So if you see no difference and it stays exactly the same, that is great news. May I ask if your screen came with brightness at 52?

My question is helping if I keep my Dell order, or go for the 42 c2. Don't want to order both at the same time if it an be helped. If this has flicker, ill go c2, if not I'm well up for trying an ultrawide.

Ah no I recall it was at brightness 70 or something like that. 52 brightness and 65 contrast is my luminance preference fr the most natural look
that I'm used to from LG I had before which was calibrated.

Associate
Ah my MPC isn't running in exclusive full screen mode so all videos in full screen are 144Hz :p

Ah no I recall it was at brightness 70 or something like that. 52 brightness and 65 contrast is my luminance preference fr the most natural look
that I'm used to from LG I had before which was calibrated.
Ok thanks, I guess there is 2 brightness? Oled brightness similar to backlight on lcd, and brightness for black levels. I thought you were referring to the latter and with you saying 52, I wondered if that had been raised from a default of 50.

Man of Honour
None of the LCD IPS screens I've ever owned had a dedicated backlight brightness OSD settings, it's always been brightness and contrast for adjusting those specifically, the same applies to the QD-OLED btw..

I think backlight brightness is generally an old school setting found on LCDs from years gone by.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Looking like dell might not be able to do my full refund so means I'll have to return this one and wait on the second order to show up. If the fan noise is as bad as some say on my second one, I'll just start going through replacements till I get one which is quiet :p
Ah shame. Thought as much, which is why I cancelled as I did not fancy the potential hassle if it turned out to be the case. Hope the return process goes smoothly for you.

Hopefully we get the real deal in 3-4 weeks time.

Associate
None of the LCD IPS screens I've ever owned had a dedicated backlight brightness OSD settings, it's always been brightness and contrast for adjusting those specifically, the same applies to the QD-OLED btw..

I think backlight brightness is generally an old school setting found on LCDs from years gone by.

Ahh Ok, was using the c9 as my oled reference and presumed. The TVs give both luminance and black level brightness.

Associate

Ok you got me intrigued, so downloaded the dell manual which states pg45 "Brightness adjusts the luminance of the backlight", maybe old skool is back :D

Soldato
OP

Lg OLED TVs have two brightness settings - one adjusts the brightness of the backlight pixels and one adjusts the white point

Man of Honour
Be careful of their wording, because on an OLED there is no backlight, you are literally adjusting the brightness :p

Edit*
But yeah as Grim mentions above, LG TVs have the individual options for luminance/pixel brightness - I'd forgotten about the TVs as I'd set mine up several years ago and it's been the same ever since.

Associate
Be careful of their wording, because on an OLED there is no backlight, you are literally adjusting the brightness :p

Edit*
But yeah as Grim mentions above, LG TVs have the individual options for luminance/pixel brightness - I'd forgotten about the TVs as I'd set mine up several years ago and it's been the same ever since.
I think they are referring to it like me. I know it doesn't have a backlight, so I said similar to backlight, so new/not familiar people would know the setting. It controls the nit output of the pixels, just like using the backlight control on an lcd to change the nit output.

Man of Honour
Yup that's true. I guess in the easiest way to put it, the brightness control is largely preferential. Some people like a bright screen, others like a more neutral brightness that's like a white sheet of paper (typically 90-120cd depending on ambient lighting conditions). With the current configuration I have upped my preference from 90 since the LG to 100 on this. The extra contrast and colour/shadow purity meant 100 just felt "right" now with OLED vs the 90 of IPS.

In terms as a monitor package in general though, after about a week I can happily say I am very happy with it. If Dell offer to replace mine because of those packaging imprint marks posted about before, then I'll let them do that, but I will need to inspect the new one first and then they can collect the old one at a later date rather than drop off and collect in one day as I don't trust the capability of most companies these days and need to check things myself as I have come to find.

I have actually come to really like the curve too whilst previously hated a curved 34" (Huawei MateView GT, LG 34" curved IPS) - I think it's because of the OLED and glossy panel itself. It feels less distorted regardless of where I am looking from but granted that the HUawei has a bigger curve so that might explain why. 1800R vs 1500R

Soldato
Yup that's true. I guess in the easiest way to put it, the brightness control is largely preferential. Some people like a bright screen, others like a more neutral brightness that's like a white sheet of paper (typically 90-120cd depending on ambient lighting conditions). With the current configuration I have upped my preference from 90 since the LG to 100 on this. The extra contrast and colour/shadow purity meant 100 just felt "right" now with OLED vs the 90 of IPS.

I have my screen set to 25% brightness in SDR, i think that puts it in the 75 - 80 NIT range according to vincents chart, where 41% correlated to 100Nits.
But i am often sat in front of the screen for a good number of hours working so it feels more comfortable on the eyes. Makes a word document almost feel like looking at paper instead of a screen.

Back
Top Bottom