World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Caporegime
That guys doesn't mince his words does he? :cry:

Not at all :cry:

It really is very hard to show the difference in photos and videos etc. but I would agree on the whole with his thoughts, maybe not quite as big as the difference he makes out though :p Especially if both displays are calibrated by an expert (although how many people get the likes of Vincent etc. to calibrate their displays....)

Soldato
Don't think this has been posted yet, was only uploaded yesterday. Not the most technical or thorough of reviews, but footage of the display in action might quench the thirst of some of us still waiting for it to arrive. :)

Soldato
Wahey, just got a call from Dell and they have approved my additional 5% discount :)

Don't think this has been posted yet, was only uploaded yesterday. Not the most technical or thorough of reviews, but footage of the display in action might quench the thirst of some of us still waiting for it to arrive. :)

Really doesn't do it justice to be honest (none of the videos I've seen have done - it really does need to be seen in person to be appreciated :))

Soldato
Really doesn't do it justice to be honest (none of the videos I've seen have done - it really does need to be seen in person to be appreciated :))

I know what you mean, especially with things like HDR. Fingers crossed I get an update between now and next Thursday which is my estimated arrival date after 2 delays.

Soldato
OP

It's in stock downunder, no queue can order now and get delivered tomorrow

Soldato
OP

The problem is that no camera can capture this monitor accurately, every video of this monitor I've seen makes the screen look horrible even though the reviewers has positive things to say.

For example fast forward to when this guy is playing forza, the clouds in the background are completely blown out with almost all shadow detail lost in a white blur and because I've seen it I know that on other OLEDs the clouds retain their detail without getting getting blown out - my understanding is that this problem only exists in camera recordings of this screen and that in real life the clouds are not blown out? But anyway yeah the screen looks bad in videos no getting around it and it's a shame

Soldato
OP
QD-OLED really is the future :cool:

Latest Vincent video just dropped, this finally explains why comparison videos make the QD-OLED look blown out to me. I was told it's just the problem with the camera but Vincent here has a different story

Basically the QD-OLED is way off target for HDR brightness and color accuracy in real content, it's way too bright and has a high delta on color accuracy. The QD-OLED is also adding artificial brightness to some objects in HDR that fall outside the creators intent therefore creating an inaccurate image, it does this by manipulating the PQ curve.

Like Vincent says here, you guys (and all these wannabe YouTube reviewers) have been totally Bamboozled with Samsung's tricks once again :D

"Directors, cinematographers, colorists spend years working on a film, standards matter and accuracy matters and here we have Samsung absolutely butchering the image"

"We will see how much calibrating can fix this problem but my feeling is that no amount of calibration is going to make the QD-OLED as accurate as a LG,Sony,Panasonic WOLED"

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fair comments on the Samsungs display, does look better in all the comparisons though but as said, hard to go by videos/photos.

As it is, with the AW QD-oled... I got both the AW (using vincents recommended settings, which is apparently very accurate compared to his reference monitor) and LG (in technicolour preset) side by side here and the AW poos all over the lg oled.

Until LG can sort out the banding in scenes with sunsets/sky etc. scenes, QD-oled will always be better for this reason alone imo.

Associate
That video only mentions the new Samsung tv anyway. Unless he checks the Dell QD-OLED for the same issue it's not guaranteed to have it since Dell will have most likely been the ones to have control over calibration/brightness etc on the monitor.

Soldato
OP
There is still hope Sony can fix the problems. And even if they can't this is only 1st generation Of QD-OLED and we all know 1st generation of everything has problems and buyers are just paid beta testers. Future models will improve if there is enough pushback against this cheating Samsung does.

The most eye opening for me is the dozens and dozens of videos of amateur YouTube reviewers claiming the S95B is the best thing since slice bread and using their videos to **** on other actually accurate and good TVs

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There is still hope Sony can fix the problems. And even if they can't this is only 1st generation Of QD-OLED and we all know 1st generation of everything has problems and buyers are just paid beta testers. Future models will improve if there is enough pushback against this cheating Samsung does.

The most eye opening for me is the dozens and dozens of videos of amateur YouTube reviewers claiming the S95B is the best thing since slice bread and using their videos to **** on other actually accurate and good TVs
Haha. Yeah, like the YouTuber Nexus posted. Guy kept saying the same thing over and over and gave subjective opinions, no testing or anything. Well, I gave up after a few minutes, he may have done a test later on in the video :cry:

Man of Honour
Yeah the TV QD-OLED is doing additional TV processing which the QD-OLED monitors are not doing. The comparison cannot be made against TV QD-OLED and monitor QD-OLED.

One feature in Lightroom that I knew of but didn't really find much point in on Lightroom before QD-OLED is Lights Out mode that blacks out the whole app apart from the photo you are working on in order to give better focus on the image. I didn't find it much use on IPS because of the backlight, so the black BG was dark grey instead and you had IPS glow.

But on OLED, well it's entirely usable exactly as intended now which is great.

LightroomLightsOut.gif

Shortcut key F and L to cycle full screen view.or lights out.

Soldato
Owners of the Samsung are reporting positive things about the tv. It's a non story as properly setup issues are eliminated.
LG OLED also automatically increase their brightness when presented with a test grid. All nothing new...

Associate
Before I move it ro the office some quick side by sides with the x34p:

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

Last one is Rush on Netflix in 1080p.

There was a lot of noise made about reflections but the AW easily outdoes the x34p here as well.

No point showing games or HDR as it's a just a massacre. Even more so than the image quality difference are the motion differences. The lack of blur and motion clarity is way more impactful than the IQ differences you'll notice. The motion clarity is something you'll appreciate each time as well while you get used to the better picture pretty quickly.

Due to how exposure works, irl, the x34p is about 5% darker in person while the AW is about 5% lighter but it's immaterial to the differences in quality between the two panels.

Back
Top Bottom