World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
Just updated my release firmware monitor to the latest one. Looks like it was some way behind

monitor.jpg

Soldato
Seriously? :mad:

Kdx0Uio.png

Aaannnd. It's back again.

Been fine for a while, but came back from lunch earlier, turned the monitor back on, and there's a line down the screen in roughly the same place as before.

No lights, no speakers, factory stand.

What now?

Going to try a different DP cable, but I'm running out of ideas :(

It only seems to occur when:

- It's been on for a while - e.g. in the middle of the day, and it's warmed up.
- I then go away from my PC for a while (e.g. on lunch), it's gone to sleep/turned itself off, and I come back to it.

I need ideas here people. I could understand this being a common issue occurring on maybe 2 or even 3 monitors if I was unlucky, but this is the 4th now, so the chances of that being the case are rapidly approaching 0.

It must be something to do with my environment/system, but I've removed all sources of potential electrical interference near the monitor, which limits it to (in order of what I think is most likely):
  1. DP cable
  2. A (non-GPU) hardware issue on my PC
  3. A software issue on my PC
  4. Some kind of interference in the power supply which this monitor is particularly susceptible to?
  5. Some kind of environmental factor - e.g. my neighbour has a huge EMP coil bolted to the wall
DP cable is easy to test, I have a few spare lying around (including the one that came with the monitor)

An issue with my PC (hardware or software) is going to be very difficult to test as I don't have another system to plug into it for long term use (seems a good excuse to buy myself a nice gaming laptop? :p)

Power supply... I guess changing out the extension lead for a different one/surge protector might be worth a try

Environmental factor - moving my room around is... doable I guess, but far from ideal :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Something weird today with mine, came to the PC and wiggled the mouse/pressed some buttons to wake the display as usual and the white standby LED on the AW remained faded in and out as if it was still on standby. Pressing any of the buttons on the AW did nothing, maybe my PC had crashed? Nope, connecting a USB device I can hear the Windows chime. I pull the power cord on the back of the AW and let the LED stop pulsing, plug it back in and it comes back to life and all's back to normal again.

All 3 previous AWs did this randomly once too during ownership and this was both with Eco on or off.

My Windows is set to put the display to sleep after 15 mins (black screen screensaver after 5mins of no activity) so I think the sleep state command sent from the OS randomly an in a rare chance the AW corrupts it and simply goes into an internal crashed state and stays in standby mode and never wakes up. The fact that none of the buttons on it did anything indicates the monitor had crashed.

Weird.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Something weird today with mine, came to the PC and wiggled the mouse/pressed some buttons to wake the display as usual and the white standby LED on the AW remained faded in and out as if it was still on standby. Pressing any of the buttons on the AW did nothing, maybe my PC had crashed? Nope, connecting a USB device I can hear the Windows chime. I pull the power cord on the back of the AW and let the LED stop pulsing, plug it back in and it comes back to life and all's back to normal again.

All 3 previous AWs did this randomly once too during ownership and this was both with Eco on or off.

My Windows is set to put the display to sleep after 15 mins (black screen screensaver after 5mins of no activity) so I think the sleep state command sent from the OS randomly an in a rare chance the AW corrupts it and simply goes into an internal crashed state and stays in standby mode and never wakes up. The fact that one of the buttons on it did anything indicates the monitor had crashed.

Weird.

Time for your what 10th replacement then? :cry: :p :D

Soldato

My Windows is set to put the display to sleep after 15 mins (black screen screensaver after 5mins of no activity) so I think the sleep state command sent from the OS randomly an in a rare chance the AW corrupts it and simply goes into an internal crashed state and stays in standby mode and never wakes up. The fact that none of the buttons on it did anything indicates the monitor had crashed.

Weird.

Mine has done that once before as well, seems to be one of the quirks.

My current one also seems to have a bug where the power button light will stay on sometimes when I switch it on (all lighting is set to off). Have to to turn it on and back off again to fix it, like some bizarre opposite dimension episode of the IT Crowd :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom