World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Caporegime
I came from high end LCDs, plasma and so on and they don't compare whatsoever to oled except maybe on sdr content which is overly bright (no darkness/contrast scenes at all).

Zero brun in still on my LG 2017 oled and my aw 34 since release and they have both been used non stop but if you're someone who watches sports/news all day with 100% brightness then yeah best to avoid.

Caporegime
I ended up buying a Samsung 34" OLED
Absolutely blown away by it

The design and everything, and the simplicity of being able to plug the Steam Deck into it with USB C

But I've stopped using my PC as a normal browsing device and now use my Laptop (Which I've just decided to upgrade the screen on)

I was wayy too concerned about burning my screen to want to use it normally

I don't really understand what the crack is with the AMD and HDR stuff though because the Dell 34" OLED is rated at HDR400 too?

To be honest I've always found HDR a little weird on PC

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone noticed the Pixel Refresh has become much more predictable with the AW3423DWF?

Before, if you missed the prompt, then it was rather difficult to get it to trigger again. Now, though, it triggers every time you hit the monitor power button.

Incidentally, I don't know if anyone noticed, but there is an update on the Dell site marked "Critical" for the monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone noticed the Pixel Refresh has become much more predictable with the AW3423DWF?

Before, if you missed the prompt, then it was rather difficult to get it to trigger again. Now, though, it triggers every time you hit the monitor power button.

Incidentally, I don't know if anyone noticed, but there is an update on the Dell site marked "Critical" for the monitor.
Mine is set to prompt me every 4hrs (default setting). It also does it automatically if required when the display goes into standby. If I ignore the prompt - which I only do if I am going to shutdown/sleep in the next few mins, it always starts as soon as it goes into standby. I never turn mine off fully, so it’s always able to refresh if needed. However, after a prompted refresh, it always switches off when complete and needs to be powered on again manually. I’m 13 months into ownership now and not had any issues - amazing monitor!

Last edited:
Associate
I'm on my 1st replacement, which was perfect after the original had bubbles on the laminated top layer. The replacement has now started to develop these bubbles:

I want to replace it as my eyes are drawn to these dots every time I use the monitor.

Soldato
I'm on my 1st replacement, which was perfect after the original had bubbles on the laminated top layer. The replacement has now started to develop these bubbles:

I want to replace it as my eyes are drawn to these dots every time I use the monitor.

I wonder if these are the same defects that I have in my screen. Do they disappear in the dark? I have two tiny dots that reflect light better than the rest of the screen. They are much smaller than that, though.
I don't care about them, because I work in a relatively dark room and it's easy to just turn the light off that's behind me and use one that's in front of me instead.

Soldato
Mine is set to prompt me every 4hrs (default setting). It also does it automatically if required when the display goes into standby. If I ignore the prompt - which I only do if I am going to shutdown/sleep in the next few mins, it always starts as soon as it goes into standby. I never turn mine off fully, so it’s always able to refresh if needed. However, after a prompted refresh, it always switches off when complete and needs to be powered on again manually. I’m 13 months into ownership now and not had any issues - amazing monitor!

When I first got the monitor, it wouldn't reliably go in to the refresh when the monitor was put in standby. Now it's 100%.

Associate
I wonder if these are the same defects that I have in my screen. Do they disappear in the dark? I have two tiny dots that reflect light better than the rest of the screen. They are much smaller than that, though.
I don't care about them, because I work in a relatively dark room and it's easy to just turn the light off that's behind me and use one that's in front of me instead.
They look a bit like just a dirty screen ;)

Associate
Interesting, then probably replacement is the only way to go - I l'd imagine it will only get worse if coating is already compromised.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting, then probably replacement is the only way to go - I l'd imagine it will only get worse if coating is already compromised.

I have no intention of replacing it! It's fine. Like I said, they are only visible if there is strong light hitting the screen, which there usually isn't.
Replacing monitors is a lottery that I don't want to get involved in unless absolutely necessary.
But, yeah, thinking about it, it probably is an adhesion fault of some sort, in one of the many layers.

Last edited:
Associate
No, they're physical defects on the top layer of the screen so they're always there but at different visibility depending what's on the screen. One day I would like to sell this monitor on MM and the value of this one would be much less than one which did not have this issue.

Soldato
There's a new firmware update for the F, unsure what has changed, but looks like it's working without issues after the update here.
It says, Fix to intermittent screen corruption and image degradation during heavy graphical load.

Can't say i have noticed anything like this myself but will update anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh, found something after the update, remember to restart your system after the update. Because it will after the update leave your brightness setting locked at 75% until you do. If you leave anything white on the screen during this time, it will leave some image retention on the screen or actual screen burn (depending on your display, as each reacts differently).

Back
Top Bottom