World of Warcraft: Classic

Soldato
As long as the retro players aren't spread too thin over too many servers I think they'll be enough to keep it going. Hopefully they'll follow-up with TBC & Wrath servers. Wintergrasp <3

Associate
As long as the retro players aren't spread too thin over too many servers I think they'll be enough to keep it going. Hopefully they'll follow-up with TBC & Wrath servers. Wintergrasp <3

I'd love to see them doing TBC and Wrath servers later down the line, but as for the player count, if they do things on more modern server technology, even without Xrealm, the capacity will be much larger than during actual vanilla, as long as they don't create too many, we could even be looking at the return of queues.

Soldato
Only way I could see them doing anything beyond vanilla is a different server, like a "Vanilla" server, then a "TBC" and "Wrath" server. If they let the classic server roll on to eventually go into TBC and beyond then it wouldn't really be classic anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm guessing they will eventually follow what Daybreak did with Everquest which will be time locked progression servers rather than separate servers for each expansion.

Associate
I'm interested.

I loved the healing role with my Priest in WOW, no other MMO has really replaced that.

I've been pretty much addicted to Guild Wars since, though that was free of subscription and the WOW model may only draw me back in for a couple of months.

Soldato
I don't know I played Elysium last year and it was fantastic. Only problem is I am not a single teenager anymore so just do not have the time to play it to the level I would like. One thing they need to keep is realm only battlegrounds. Cross realm ruined the community.

Agreed, cross realms really ruined battleground and even dungeons. No more blacklisting idiots or building up a list of people you would do dungeons with. Just queue and nuke to the end with no regard.

Soldato
I'm semi excited for this.

It would be amazing to level to 60 again in vanilla wow but I can't see me having the time to do anything after that.

It's hard enough to find a 10 man team in legion let alone organise for 40 people to be in the same place at the same time.

Soldato
To add some perspective to this...

I absolutely loved BF2, then the small network team at revivie brought it back. The game was growing every month. The rubbish controls and hit reg was awful, but you quickly learnt to get over those issues and all of a sudden you were almost overwhelmed with this true nostalgic enjoyment of a 12 year old game. I sunk 100s of hours into it..... Until EA saw the growing figures and pulled their plug.

Point is, people, including the main guy as blizzard said "no you shouldn't go back, nostalgia is fun for a while"... Wrong..... He shocked me saying this.... Any true love of games will say Graphics are irrelevant, game play is everything... This will be the case with this!

I joined the WoW bandwagon late on, so I am not sure if i'll enjoy this or not. But either way, my friends are going back so I'm looking at it like I'm experiencing what I missed out on!

Soldato
Yeah his comment was ridiculous as a blunt statement and he should have worded it better, but I think what he was trying to get across was there were some god awful parts of vanilla that nearly no-one would ever miss and a lot of people have forgotten. Either way I hope everyone plays it, as even if some people who've never played vanilla try it and hate it they will at the very least appreciate how far Warcraft has come since then, and possibly take some of the features the game has now less for granted when they see how it used to be.

Associate
As someone who never saw WoW before early WotLK, I'm a bit torn. As much as I would love to do something like clear Vanilla Naxx, I doubt I'd have the free time required to do everything needed to clear Vanilla Naxx.

Sgarrista
Commissario
As someone who never saw WoW before early WotLK, I'm a bit torn. As much as I would love to do something like clear Vanilla Naxx, I doubt I'd have the free time required to do everything needed to clear Vanilla Naxx.

Naxx raiding is/was a job in its own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBPHRlgczmk

I have already begun talks with people, and we are looking at running a 120 or even a 180 man guild setup with 4 sets of raiders from the off to ensure when we hit naxx, we have the manpower and the guild resources to make it work.

Associate
Just curious if Naxx will be as hard as it was before, if the game itself is running better than it did back then? If they are using a version of the engine that runs smoother + modern computers running the game considerably smoother?

Soldato
OP
Just curious if Naxx will be as hard as it was before, if the game itself is running better than it did back then? If they are using a version of the engine that runs smoother + modern computers running the game considerably smoother?

All entirely unknown at least for a while.

Caporegime

That fight what we called "Dance stage Euromix" was a pain. The one with the green lava flow. On your screen you would be fine but lag would kill you.

Soldato
It was just the mechanics of fights or the game system design itself that made Naxx 40 as brutal as it was. Sapphiron needed a boatload of Frost Resistance. Razuvious needed spell hit capped Priests. Four Horsemen needed 8 (yes, eight) tanks to do it. Loatheb's DPS check was insane as well as healing allowed except on MT. Heigan and the safety dance wasn't too bad, although as adam states above any blip of lag could kill you, but trash before him was even worse. Thaddius was Maiden of Vigilance on crack and super buggy, I guarantee at least 5 people missed the jump to his platform every try. Gothik needed about 6 Priests for shackle or just don't even bother trying. Mind control resist on Razuvious? probable wipe, Taunt resist on 4 Horsemen? wipe, Hunter too slow/fast with Cheetah on Anub'rekhan? wipe, 30 minutes gone by since you started a boss? time to reclear all the trash.

If they are using the original mechanics and system it should be just as hard, even with everyone on amazing internet connections and PC's.

Caporegime
It was just the mechanics of fights or the game system design itself that made Naxx 40 as brutal as it was. Sapphiron needed a boatload of Frost Resistance. Razuvious needed spell hit capped Priests. Four Horsemen needed 8 (yes, eight) tanks to do it. Loatheb's DPS check was insane as well as healing allowed except on MT. Heigan and the safety dance wasn't too bad, although as adam states above any blip of lag could kill you, but trash before him was even worse. Thaddius was Maiden of Vigilance on crack and super buggy, I guarantee at least 5 people missed the jump to his platform every try. Gothik needed about 6 Priests for shackle or just don't even bother trying. Mind control resist on Razuvious? probable wipe, Taunt resist on 4 Horsemen? wipe, Hunter too slow/fast with Cheetah on Anub'rekhan? wipe, 30 minutes gone by since you started a boss? time to reclear all the trash.

If they are using the original mechanics and system it should be just as hard, even with everyone on amazing internet connections and PC's.

There is a video on Youtube from my old guild where we had lag on huhuran and wiped on 1% HP. I would embed but as you can imagine it contains many swearies and also my voice :p! Even still best game I ever played :p I can also remember the annoyance of 4 Horseman. We had to gear up alts to do it which was a major setback when you can only raid so much before waiting for reset. It was that much of a setback for us that we never got past it as TBC came which was a shame.

Back
Top Bottom