Would this be a stupid first bike?

Soldato
Carbs means it's none injection basically and use carburetors to suck in and distribute the petrol in the engine. There's nothing wrong with carbs and nothing wrong with fuel injection, just different ways of mixing the fuel, simple as that. All Honda CBR600's upto the CBR600Fi (which is around 2001 ish) were carbs... then they switched to injection and at the same time changed the bike design a little to the "fox" styling on the front i.e. it was pointy and more modern if you like that kind of thing. However, there's very little different between the CBR600 FX/FY (1999/2000) models... engine wise and the later models, it's basically the same bike, all on alloy frames (pre 1999 they were heavier steel frames and the fairings went right up onto the tank).

Go for a 1999 model onwards and it'll be basically the same bike as the later models through the early 2000's... just looks a bit different... the Sport didn't have anything done to the engine, just had the changed seat and removed the centre stand et... nothing to make you want it more than the none Sport though...

Upto you... like I say from 1999 onwards, these bikes go for solid ones for around 1500 upwards...

For me, I did around 900 miles+ on the 125 while I was on a DAS course so I felt it was time to go bigger and needed something bigger for motorway traveling etc... would I have jumped straight to a 600? probably... whether I'd have done the mileage or not... as I want what I want? is that sensible? Who knows, define sensible :)

Soldato
Nope perfectly fine as a 1st bike. The one thing i was always told by more experienced friends - YOU ONLY GO AS QUICK AS YOU TWIST THE THROTTLE!

best advice i was given.... although i was never responsible enough to follow it.... :(
3 month ban, 9 points and a few write-offs later i think i've learnt... :D

The problems don't necessarily lie just in the power.

I'd be more concerned with the handling of the bike, the early R6's had a massive problem with light steering and knee slaps. I know experienced riders that won't go near them because of that twitchy front end, never mind someone who has NO experienced.

Soldato
OP
The problems don't necessarily lie just in the power.

I'd be more concerned with the handling of the bike, the early R6's had a massive problem with light steering and knee slaps. I know experienced riders that won't go near them because of that twitchy front end, never mind someone who has NO experienced.

Exactly... A Lamborghini won't drive the same as a corsa or a fiesta. It's not just speed.

I think it's safe to say I'd be unnecessarily risking injury jumping onto a track bred bike as my first.

I'm off to see this on Sunday afternoon, seems a great deal to me and a nice enough looking bike. They're a bit cheaper than the Hondas and I've been told that's simply down to the badge, not the bike. MCN also gives it a good write up and looks comfy for two.

Here it is.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/yamaha-yzf-600-r-thundercat/109325773

Taking my riding instructor with me, he's going to look it over and test it out. I wouldn't have a clue what to look for.

Soldato
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'd love a ZX6-R

After I passed my test I followed the usual advice and bought an SV650 as they're the recommended choice. Personally I hated it, found it awful to ride.
I only had it for a short time before I sold it and bought a ZX6R which was infinitely easier to ride and much nicer all round.

The moral of the story is that just because a bike has more horsepower doesn't necessarily make it harder to ride.

Soldato
After I passed my test I followed the usual advice and bought an SV650 as they're the recommended choice. Personally I hated it, found it awful to ride.
I only had it for a short time before I sold it and bought a ZX6R which was infinitely easier to ride and much nicer all round.

The moral of the story is that just because a bike has more horsepower doesn't necessarily make it harder to ride.

Why did you find an SV650 difficult to ride? :confused: It couldn't really be easier unless it had a set of pedals on it.

Soldato
The fact that you've asked for advice is a good thing.

It's the people who think their abilities are higher than they really are, those are the dangerous ones.

Associate
Ultimately you should get what you want.
Taking some time on a 125 is worthwhile in my opinion, gives you insight into riding before you get on a big bike and thrash it. I am on my 4th bike and still enjoy going on my bro's L-plated 125 with him 1 up...
It sounds like you want a big bike though so advice on that would be:

Honda cbr600f is top dog, (I had the 02 CBR600FS) - reliable, fairly cheap to run and insure... Centre stand (only on the F) is brilliant for cleaning, servicing and stability.

Thundercat is a good choice as well, not quite as good as the CBR600f but cheaper as well.

Final words - be sensible. Both those bikes will kill you without you even trying.

Oh and of course enjoy!!! I still remember my first 600, collected it whilst it was absolutely ****ing it down (could hardly see the road) still came home grinning.

Soldato
Why did you find an SV650 difficult to ride? :confused: It couldn't really be easier unless it had a set of pedals on it.

I really didn't like the throttle feel and the engine braking. It was always either on or off with no happy medium. The slightest of bumps on a road could upset it so trying to hold a steady throttle round a bend was a nightmare.

Since then I've had an FZ6, ER5, GS500, ZX6R and also rode plenty of other bikes and none were like the SV. I guess some people just don't get on with V twins.

Soldato
OP
I really didn't like the throttle feel and the engine braking. It was always either on or off with no happy medium. The slightest of bumps on a road could upset it so trying to hold a steady throttle round a bend was a nightmare.

Since then I've had an FZ6, ER5, GS500, ZX6R and also rode plenty of other bikes and none were like the SV. I guess some people just don't get on with V twins.

Sounds as if it was broken haha.

Soldato
Sounds as if it was broken haha.

It was perfect, just didn't suit me that's all. I had it fully serviced, throttle bodies balanced, adjusted TPS but in the end I just didn't get on with it. Much prefer the ZX6R and FZ6 that I've got now :)

Personally I think something like an ER5/6 is a perfect first bike. There's nothing easier to ride than one of them and they're still powerful enough to have fun with.

Soldato
OP
Went to view a black 1998 thundercat today. 12k on the clock and took my instructor along. He confirmed it was mechanically fine.

There is a few scuffs on the plastic and a bit of surface rust round some of the bits and bobs. This puts me off a little.

It's been kept in a garage and the owner seemed a nice sensible guy. It's listed at £1700.

Thoughts or advice please?

Associate
£1700 seems a bit steep for a 14 year old bike, the only thing in its favor is the mileage is relatively low for the age. It's really down to if you like the bike or not, in my experience the two bikes I've bought I've known I wanted them when I saw them!

Soldato
OP
£1700 seems a bit steep for a 14 year old bike, the only thing in its favor is the mileage is relatively low for the age. It's really down to if you like the bike or not, in my experience the two bikes I've bought I've known I wanted them when I saw them!

I agree. What would you say would be a sensible offer to make on said bike. 1998, few scuffs, needs MOT. Aftermarket exhaust however and comes with original.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
If it's not got an MOT, or it's due pretty damn soon, then i wouldn't part with more than £1400 seeing as how it's not spotless, & were coming to the end of summer.

Back
Top Bottom