Would you ever use Bank Transfer on Gumtree?

Associate
Seller insists on using it. It'll be for a £200 item. He tells me he's had previous bad experiences with Paypal and being ripped off/being left in the negative. As reassurance, he's told me he'll provide his ID, proof of address, bank details, etc.

Thoughts?

Absolute zero chance I'd see the money again if the seller decides not to send the item? Halifax wouldn't be able to assist me in anyway, right?

Why do people insist on asking this question? It must be the fourth or fifth time I've seen it on here. Gumtree is face to face and cash only.

I understand it may have been designed that way, but times change. I'm just unsure if there's any sort of protection I can get from the bank if the seller turns out to be dodgy. All conversations are recorded via text and he'll provide me proof of who he is, etc etc.

I bought a a very used car and transferred the money while standing next to the guy. Had mild fear he would shine me on, but confirmed it was there 5 mins later.

Wouldn't ever did that remotely.

Cash or no chance. Even then I'd hold it up to the sun for a good look etc.

If hes got money in the bank to transfer he can take it out at a cashpoint, preferably when you're there with him to watch it happen.

Back
Top Bottom