• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X299 binned and delidded CPU's now available. Along with 8Pack Elite Tier bundles.

Soldato
Prime and OCCT AVX on the 7900X when overclocked is nuts, off the bat expect to be pulling insane amounts of current. If you want to test with these methods expect to end up with gates like a mammoths tubular tracks. If you don't follow my drift I'm saying it'll degrade quickly.

Soldato
Prime and OCCT AVX on the 7900X when overclocked is nuts, off the bat expect to be pulling insane amounts of current. If you want to test with these methods expect to end up with gates like a mammoths tubular tracks. If you don't follow my drift I'm saying it'll degrade quickly.

Which sort of sucks because this is where the 7900x beats everything.

Soldato
Which sort of sucks because this is where the 7900x beats everything.

Yep, pretty much.

That's why i asked 8pack what i did. The thing is though, if Intel's chips have to have AVX disabled to get anywhere meaningfull it then begs the question why does Intel make such a big thing about AVX and 512 in particular if you have to disable it in the first place to get a decent clock ?

Associate
really? you can still overclock it with AVX 512 more than ryzen without it.. im not running any avx offset on my 4.8 which i consider decent.

Associate
Read the last page of this thread James........................then you might see i'm coming from :D
maybe i've just had a long day and am being a bit simple, but i don't really no ;) Fact is, yes if you want to use heavy avx workloads you will have to sacrifice some mhz, but you can still run it way faster than stock!

OcUK Staff
OP
Ryzen isn't so mentally hot under AVX as these so a lot easier to achieve. Your 3.9 bundle will do AVX as long as people spec reasonable cooling.

I am 3.9 on a 360 and OCCT linpack AVX hits about 62-63 fans on silent. Sub 60 with fans ramped up.
I know. I do test avx on all. It's just not part of the binning, nor is it part of my reviews results.

Associate
Nope, because by the time i upgrade again, i wouldn't want the same motherboard etc anyway. Even IF what you infer is correct, which i doubt.

Edit, and i assume you arent bothered by your 'dead end' pc either ;)

Soldato
Nope, because by the time i upgrade again, i wouldn't want the same motherboard etc anyway. Even IF what you infer is correct, which i doubt.

Edit, and i assume you arent bothered by your 'dead end' pc either ;)

Nope, not in the slightest. I'm a gamer in my 40's now so epeen and needing the latest hardware for a forum sig, doesn't appeal to me anymore. I was just wondering if the lack of an upgrade path, without having to go buy a new mobo etc, was an issue for anyone.

Associate
No upgrade path without having to buy a new setup
Of course there's no upgrade path, yet. if you get the top CPU its going to be the best for a long time (when it comes out) And as far as i know no one has said this is the last x299 generation..? (aside from the ahem, amd fanboys)

Soldato
It's par for the course with the HEDT market partly anyway. By the time there's any refresh CPU, depending on the timeline there are normally a few reasons to buy into the gen 2 boards (yes even for the same socket), as vendors have a better grip on the platform.

Associate
hi, i bougth one of the 7900x binned for 4.8 the other week, and sadly, still waiting for EK to release the mono block for the prime deluxe to make use of it (and every day they dont i keep looking at the rampage instead lol) but i was wondering if i would be ok to use liquid metal or not as ive read it can remove the etching from heatsink (never used it before, but then again, ive never done a custom loop or gone anywhere near this high end before either), and that can affect warranties, so if that is the case, frankly, a couple of degrees wont be worth potentially sacrificing the cpu, but if the warranty wont be affected, i think ill go that route, if not itll be the good ol arctic mx-4 i guess.

Soldato
hi, i bougth one of the 7900x binned for 4.8 the other week, and sadly, still waiting for EK to release the mono block for the prime deluxe to make use of it (and every day they dont i keep looking at the rampage instead lol) but i was wondering if i would be ok to use liquid metal or not as ive read it can remove the etching from heatsink (never used it before, but then again, ive never done a custom loop or gone anywhere near this high end before either), and that can affect warranties, so if that is the case, frankly, a couple of degrees wont be worth potentially sacrificing the cpu, but if the warranty wont be affected, i think ill go that route, if not itll be the good ol arctic mx-4 i guess.

Regarding the monoblock I am baffled, why the Strixx monoblock one, doesn't fit all Asus boards except the APEX.
All of the rest are exactly the same, with same power delivery layout and hardware around that area.

Soldato

I would advise against it, I've only ever used it on engineering samples, and even then on horizontal builds only. If the chip has been delidded by OCUK then that should be good enough along with some Kryonaut.

Back
Top Bottom