• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X299 binned and delidded CPU's now available. Along with 8Pack Elite Tier bundles.

Soldato
Is that some sort of error with the voltage on the 7900X? Almost 1.9V What is that cooled with Liquid Helium? :eek: Do you all walk round with high pitched voices all day? :D

Soldato
Im hoping GIgabytes and MSI kaby-lake X only Boards would be good performers as well as being cheap.

Looking at it they both lack hard core VRM counts - If they can both keep this to £150-180 Price Tag it could win people over

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/X299-AORUS-Gaming-rev-10#kf

done a quick google and cant find MSI version... sure there was

£450 for a mobo and 7740x potentially hitting 5.3/5.4Ghz would be sweet with 4000+ ram

Soldato
Im hoping GIgabytes and MSI kaby-lake X only Boards would be good performers as well as being cheap.

Looking at it they both lack hard core VRM counts - If they can both keep this to £150-180 Price Tag it could win people over

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/X299-AORUS-Gaming-rev-10#kf

done a quick google and cant find MSI version... sure there was

£450 for a mobo and 7740x potentially hitting 5.3/5.4Ghz would be sweet with 4000+ ram

Hiya mate, do you happen to work for Gigabyte at all? :) or are just a big fan of their products? i notice you quite often promote their products, nothing wrong with that, but was just wondering if you had a paid vested interest in the company was all? my current mobo is a Gigabyte, but i have bought a CH6 for my upcoming Ryzen build for the kids, and im looking at the 8700k for myself, i was going to rule out Gigabyte this time and try another vendor, like Asrock or Asus, but the Aorus or whatever its called stuff from Gigabyte looks half decent.

Do you think they will make Z370 versions of their Z270 stuff? if so which would you recommend from them? i normally steer clear of the absolute top end board from each manufacturer as often it has a ton of things i dont need, so dont want to pay for, but i was looking at the Gaming 7 and it seems fairly decently received, thoughts?

Soldato
Hiya mate, do you happen to work for Gigabyte at all? :) or are just a big fan of their products? i notice you quite often promote their products, nothing wrong with that, but was just wondering if you had a paid vested interest in the company was all? my current mobo is a Gigabyte, but i have bought a CH6 for my upcoming Ryzen build for the kids, and im looking at the 8700k for myself, i was going to rule out Gigabyte this time and try another vendor, like Asrock or Asus, but the Aorus or whatever its called stuff from Gigabyte looks half decent.

Do you think they will make Z370 versions of their Z270 stuff? if so which would you recommend from them? i normally steer clear of the absolute top end board from each manufacturer as often it has a ton of things i dont need, so dont want to pay for, but i was looking at the Gaming 7 and it seems fairly decently received, thoughts?

Nah, im stuck in the oil industry haha. Although I do have a Gold account with ASUS :D ... then my kids came along and had to stop doing them on the side .
Although I am lucky enough to have PR peeps on my skype from different companies which comes in handy lol
although I do promo alpha stuff - my shed is full of the stuff haha sure theres a couple of £££ to be used
pretty safe to say from Aorus and Strix that they have nailed a winner and will easily have Z370 boards that reflect the current designs . Gigabyte did a bold Jump with the Gaming 7 Z170 and nicely toned it down for the z270 and ROG/Strix getting ride of the red for that dark monochrome had my money when the Strix E launched!!!!
also had the Top of 3D Mark leader board for GTX 1070 which was a Strix OC, could boost to 2.2Ghz underwater but just failed the last 10s of the bench marks so 2180 it was!
Not going to lie from using Both a lot ASUS do win in the Bios section, but lack with Customer care as you can see theres heavy Gigabyte Rep presence on here, think theres 4 at last count . Asus did have one but had the personality of Bot lol. Believe ASrock has one but not sure although I know 8 Pack himself does lend a critical hand .
its funny how AMD B350 chipset really turned things on its head showing you dont need the flagship boards to do great things - intel need to take note - least allow lower chips to run faster memory ! haha But then again am building a Crosshair build for a workstation - was just the better deal my end and it does look epic with the Zotac AMP- again that was a freaking steal!
I personally like the Aorus 5/7 level - dont really see the point in the 8/9 - i know it has water cooling gear but mono blocks are just nicer and really buy the SOC which is cheaper and has the same VRM .
same is with ASUS, Strix hands down nails it in terms of looks and functions - harder to justify the ROG Tax on the Hero+ boards over it personally

I get better value off ASrock to be honest but never used them, never liked the look of the boards but from the z97 to z170 they pushed the boundaries more then the rest hectically offering more for less then the others.

Even just recommend Sapphire 56 and EK kit.... teehee

ah! found the MSI
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X299M-A-PRO.html
mATX format to boot too! @8 Pack , think one of these may make a bundle pack if OCUK stocks them ?

Last edited:
Associate
Hey 8pack,

I was wondering if you can share a BIOS profile for the X299 Strix Gaming for the parts I bought?

I bought the 5Ghz 7740x, 16GB of c14 3200 8pack RAM and that motherboard but I just cant seem to reliably hit the advertised speeds.

Temps are fine - 61deg under gaming load, I haven't had the best of luck with this build as first I had CPU failure, then memory failure - both RMA'd

So I bought the 8pack 4500 RAM instead and gave up on tight timings to chase frequency but anything above 4.9 with 3866+ memory just doesn't post and even 4.9 is hit and miss with the odd crash in game.

(I'm pretty sure the rest of my PC is good, I have swapped everything out at one point or another except the Motherboard as I don't have another X299 and the CPU and RAM are replacements)

OcUK Staff
OP
I can do this when I get back to ocuk yes. I am at EGX now. The Strix can't run 4500Mhz only apex or ocf.

Cpu should easy be fine 5ghz.

What's the post code when the system does not post??

Soldato
I can do this when I get back to ocuk yes. I am at EGX now. The Strix can't run 4500Mhz only apex or ocf.

Cpu should easy be fine 5ghz.

Very interested to see how x299 cracks on with 4500Mhz memory. That could be a beast.

OcUK Staff
OP
Only apex and ocf can run 4500Mhz in dual channel with 7740X this memory is not for quad channel skylake X although is high bin and can tune well around 4k-4133mhz.

Ocf can run 4600 c18-18-18 np.

Associate

I'll check after work, but its almost an immediate reboot followed either by BIOS safe mode or just a complete hang until I pull the plug.

I wasn't expecting 4500, but I thought 4000 would be doable :( - I wish I'd waited for the OCF now but thems the breaks.

Soldato
Only apex and ocf can run 4500Mhz in dual channel with 7740X this memory is not for quad channel skylake X although is high bin and can tune well around 4k-4133mhz.

Ocf can run 4600 c18-18-18 np.

What type of price am I looking at for 4000Mhz capable binned 8-10 core chips?

Back
Top Bottom