X3:Terran Conflict has arrived

Associate
Is it really a space sim though? Reading through the posts of people who are into it, it seems they play it more like an rts / empire builder. How much time do you actually spend flying around shooting stuff?

I see your point but I'm pretty sure it should be classed as a space sim with empire building / strategy core elements. I'm going to give this a go :) I thought I'd never get the hang of I-War (completely different I know) but once I had, I was hooked for months :cool:

Soldato
OP
Is it really a space sim though? Reading through the posts of people who are into it, it seems they play it more like an rts / empire builder. How much time do you actually spend flying around shooting stuff?

yes it is a true space sim, ie you fly a ship using a joystick. But your not limited to 1 ship you can have as many as you want. The ships available to you include fast scouts, massive destroyers and transporters, you can setup the ships to be wingmen, patrol squadrons, traders or even your own personal flagship..... your only limit is the amount of cash you can raise. Yes if you want that nice shiny new ship you need to save up your credits and buy it.

As for time spent flying and shooting stuff thats entirely up to you, some people like the empire building stuff and spend all their time doing that others like me prefer combat and spend my time hunting pirates and doing assassination and invasion missions.

Soldato
OP
I was told that you can disable, board and capture enemy ships. Apparently you can hear the fighting that takes place inside while it all happens. Sounds fantastic :cool:

thats only for capital ships, with fighters the pilot just bails in his space suit and leaves his ship floating in space for you to claim. If your feeling mean you can kill the pilot or even pick him up and sell him as a slave. :D

Associate
I tried and tried to get into X3, but it was far too complicated for me. I think with an improved interface and mission log etc it'll be great fun! but waiting for money before I can play :(

Associate
I've got X3: reunion on steam.. bought it late 1 night and gave it a try and didn't have a clue how to play/what I was doing! From the sounds of it, could be worth giving it another shot :)

is it anything like the old wing commander games? loved them!

Soldato
I am tempted to get this but never played any previous titles, how immersive/long is this game? From the sounds of things it seems fun, but I really enjoyed more strategy based style space games like imperium galactica 1 + 2 or Space reingers series. How does X3 compares with them? (I am aware that X3 isn;t that much of a strategy though)

Associate
I've got X3: reunion on steam.. bought it late 1 night and gave it a try and didn't have a clue how to play/what I was doing! From the sounds of it, could be worth giving it another shot :)

is it anything like the old wing commander games? loved them!

X3 is an absolutely amazing game, IF you give it enough time. The learning curve is like running into a cliff at first, but dedicate some time to it and you will see what an immense gaming experience it can be.

You can build yourself a trade empire with factories and bases across the galaxy. Or you can be a lone gun and just run missions and attack enemy sectors.

X3 is not a game where you can do things quickly, if you wish to build factories and what not, be prepared to plan carefully and methodically and it will take time to assemble.

The manual in no way prepares you for the depth of the game, i read it and beyond telling me the controls it was mostly useless.

So, go here and download this guide:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=1571302

And make sure you patch it up to its latest version.

Also, a joystick will make the whole game about 10x easier to play. But the game is worth it, if you get into it, then prepare for hours/days to disappear.

Associate
They have yet to recapture the feel of the old Wing Commander games....WWII in space I think was basically the theme.

I think Wing Commander: Privateer has to be one of my favourite games ever, even though it was basically crap.

Associate
Just a heads up to say that X3 TC has unlocked on Steam, pretty much a day early on what the count down timer was showing. I'm still waiting for my order, hurry up postie.

Soldato
OP
I am tempted to get this but never played any previous titles, how immersive/long is this game? From the sounds of things it seems fun, but I really enjoyed more strategy based style space games like imperium galactica 1 + 2 or Space reingers series. How does X3 compares with them? (I am aware that X3 isn;t that much of a strategy though)

If you can get over the initial learning curve then you will find it a very immersive game, its a open ended space combat RPG so the game is a long as you like.

There are a lot of strategy aspects of the game but its a genra all of its own. You really need to try the game and judge these things for your self, there will be a demo, i recommend just buying it, if you dont want to buy the latest version get a copy of X2 or X3 both should be available for peanuts and X2 even has some tutorials built in.

Last edited:
Associate
They have yet to recapture the feel of the old Wing Commander games....WWII in space I think was basically the theme.

I think Wing Commander: Privateer has to be one of my favourite games ever, even though it was basically crap.

If you are looking for a "WWII in space" theme, then try Digital Anvil's (Chris Roberts) Starlancer. Awesome game with a good story, decent graphics and exciting cutscenes :)

Back
Top Bottom