X4 Foundations

Associate
Guys, I've got an issue where my turrets are not firing at all. It doesn't matter what type, beam, bolt etc... I've got full crew, turrets set to attack all enemies, global orders set to attack all but it just doesn't fire... This happens on any ship I've built.

Any help would be appreciated, I've seen lots of people have the same problem but never seen an actual resolution.
I've had a go at trying to make my game have any issue with the turrets, if you're running mods, it could be a mod conflict issue.
Do you want to share a copy of your save file and list any mods you have installed?

Soldato
OP

Once our recently announced new X4 expansion, X4: Kingdom End, is ready to be released later this year, it will be accompanied by the most extensive set of improvements to X4: Foundations since the game's original release back in 2018. These major technical changes to the game call for a lot of testing - so please join our 6.00 Public Beta!

How do I take part in the Public Beta?
Every player who owns X4: Foundations has the opportunity to download the new 6.00 beta version. In order to ensure that beta participants are aware of the risks and rules involved, we ask all interested players to visit our forum, where they will find the rules and disclaimers, as well as practical instructions for participating in the beta. Follow this link to our forum (no registration required) to find the relevant information.

X TECH 5
Our past games X Beyond the Frontier, X3: Reunion, X Rebirth and the original 1.00 release of X4: Foundations marked the biggest milestones in the development of our very own X series engine. With the upcoming release of X4: Foundations 6.00, we're taking the next step and introducing X TECH 5.

While integrating the next generation of our graphics engine with several big visual improvements (details below), as well as a new, more powerful physics engine with performance and feature improvements, we're also maintaining savegame compatibility for X4.

We would like to give you a first impression of some of the highlights of X TECH 5 that are in the first Public Beta of 6.00. We are still working on additional features that may be added in later public beta releases. We will talk about those additional features in due course.

New physics engine
Experience the thrill of space more than ever before in X4: Foundations, with the integration of Jolt Physics into X TECH 5. Whether you're navigating an asteroid field, docking at a space station, or engaging in combat, Jolt Physics adds a new level of realism and immersion to every moment of gameplay. You'll feel the full force of acceleration and deceleration as you pilot your ship, and every collision will have a tangible impact. In addition to enhancing the overall gameplay experience, the integration of Jolt Physics also brings about performance and feature improvements to X TECH 5, which you'll find listed in the full 6.00 Public Beta 1 changelog.

Massively improved graphics engine
A big part of what makes us very proud of the upcoming 6.00 Update to X4: Foundations is the radical improvements included in our graphics engine. Here are some of the highlights from this area of development:

Improved lighting
The main goal with the new lighting engine in X TECH 5 is to improve natural-looking sunlight in space. More vibrant colours, higher intensity suns, and a wider range of interesting lighting moods. X TECH 5 gives us many new tools to achieve this. Reflection probes greatly improve lighting situations inside cockpits, bridges and on stations, and seamlessly integrates with the screen space reflections introduced in a previous version of X4. You will also note that the shadow-casting in X TECH 5 has massively improved. This greatly helps in producing more realistic visuals at greater distances.

Introduction of parallax occlusion mapping
With the inclusion of parallax occlusion mapping, X TECH 5 features a technique that allows us to add extra detail and depth to surfaces in the game. This is achieved by using a special type of texture that encodes information about the height and shape of a surface, which is then used to create the illusion of 3D depth and detail. As a player, you can expect to see a noticeable improvement in the realism and immersion of surfaces in the game, as parallax occlusion mapping allows us to add subtle details and depth that were not previously possible.

Wide range of gameplay improvements
Apart from the serious technological improvements, we have of course also added gameplay refinements and new features in Update 6.00. Please take a look at the complete changelog for version 6.00 Public Beta 1. Today, we would like to put the spotlight on the following two highlights:

Position Defence
The new Position Defence feature in Update 6.00 allows players to have a single carrier-led fleet defend multiple locations while maintaining its streamlined support structure. Individual subordinate groups within the fleet can be assigned to protect specific locations, and will patrol the area until they need to return to the carrier for repairs or resupply. Additionally, these subordinate groups can be set to support other groups in the fleet if they come into contact with threats. This allows for flexible and dynamic defence of multiple locations with a single fleet. We can't wait for you to try out this new feature and see how it enhances your gameplay experience.

Live Stream camera mode
Live Stream is a brand-new camera mode in X4: Foundations that brings you closer to the action. Once activated, by hitting F6, Live Stream mode allows you to watch interesting events and scenes unfold in your game in real-time. Whether it's an epic space battle, a bustling space station, or a beautiful nebula, this new mode has you covered. One of the best things about Live Stream mode is that it automatically switches between scenes, so you never have to worry about missing out on the action. You can sit back, relax, and enjoy the show, as our new camera mode takes you on a tour of the most interesting moments in your game.

We have lots more ideas on how to refine and improve this new camera mode further, and we will keep working on it during the 6.00 Public Beta phase and beyond. But please do try it out in its current form, and share your feedback with us.

We encourage all players to participate in the beta and provide feedback on the new features in our Public Beta Feedback forum. This is just the start of the 6.00 Public Beta for X4: Foundations. The beta will be updated regularly over the next few weeks, so keep an eye on our news channels to avoid missing anything.

We can't wait for you to try out all the new content in Update 6.00 and look forward to hearing your thoughts. --> Full 6.00 Public Beta 1 Changelog

Note to the modding community
As mentioned in our survey summary a few months ago, X4 modders are super important to us and we are very grateful for their work. While we can't go into too much detail on this topic today, we wanted to at least briefly mention that we are working on some new modding tools for X4 and will also be improving the information available to modders in the future. For example, we plan to provide a modding equivalent to the X4 update changelog. As soon as the tools can be tested, we will inform you separately about this, and provide you with further details.

X4: Kingdom End – Wishlist now!
Enjoy a long-awaited reunion with the Boron in X4: Kingdom End, the fourth expansion for X4: Foundations, which completes the collection of the main factions in the X Universe. Discover the unique Boron ships, and fly them through distinctive systems, on a journey of discovery. Visit fascinating places, uncover old secrets and make new acquaintances. Embark on an immersive new chapter of X4!

Associate
That sounds like a fantastic update, hopefully the new upgraded physics will help improve the issues with AI pilots colliding with structures and getting stuck.

It's also nice that we can finally clean up all those unwanted probes and nav beacons that we leave floating around, I've probably got a good few hundred of those cluttering up the regions...
  • Added self-destruct command for player-owned satellites, resource probes, nav beacons, lasertowers and mines.

Associate
A little bit of a bug warning to anyone thinking of testing 6.0, you may find that a couple of the ships are unable to dock at stations.
It seems the new physics engine has made it so ships of certain shapes can't match up with the docks - they'll hopefully have a hotfix for that out soon to address that bug.

You may also find using those tall lifts on the wharf/shipyard stations a bit jarring as the new physics can have a little bit of a meltdown, you can even sometimes fall through the bottom of the lift or get stuck in the object - they're aware of this issue as well so it should also be fixed fairly soon.
Thankfully you can teleport back to your ships from anywhere within a station, so that's much less of an issue than not being able to dock.

Associate
Ive still not got round to playing this yet but i did really like the older games. I was hoping to play it on a new system but im not willing to pay current prices. I imagine as the empire fills up you need a really good cpu to keep up?

Soldato
I've got further on this one than other X games thanks to the tutorials and one of the starting careers. Is causing me a few issues using a TKL but I have a mouse with buttons on the side and a controller so if I spent some time I'm sure I could remedy that.

Soldato
Yup, after a certain point on my 9900k, even overclocked to 5.1Ghz things would turn into a slide show. I'm hoping my new 7950x system Eats it alive!

Associate
Yup, after a certain point on my 9900k, even overclocked to 5.1Ghz things would turn into a slide show. I'm hoping my new 7950x system Eats it alive!
I thought this might be the case, i'll just have to wait till i upgrade, will give me time to decide on a decent hotas too and give prices of everything to come down a bit, fingers crossed.

Soldato
Honestly, I've tried with a hotas and controller and always go back to mouse and keyboard. I find the ships just handle better that way, compared to say Elite Dangerous etc.

Soldato
I must fire this up again and get the DLC.

Looking through steam this is my most played single player game, second only to PUBG overall.

Game is brilliant, except flying around in that stupid temple and the ancient station in the earth system, what the hell were they thinking......

So many ways to play it, particularly using the custom starts, and the development team don't stop improving it.

Soldato
If I choose a starting point under Foundations, does that mean I am tied in to the features of the game at that point, i.e I won't have access to whatever features the expansions brought in?

Back
Top Bottom