X4 Foundations

Soldato
Tempted to download and fire this up again.
But trying to learn how to play this game again as well as figure out what the hell I was doing with all my ship/stations, is very daunting.

Soldato
Tempted to download and fire this up again.
But trying to learn how to play this game again as well as figure out what the hell I was doing with all my ship/stations, is very daunting.
Start a new game !

I too really want to get into this like I did back with X3:R . It's time......

Permabanned
I stopped playing about a year and a half ago, again. Became unenjoyable to play due to being too laggy overall, and the Xenon have started conquering sectors, so the upcoming pew pew is going to be absurd. But I've finally got an upgrade in the works though, just waiting on the CPU.

Looking forward to picking up where I left off and checking out the updates + new DLC. Does the physics stuff send in it more in the direction of Elite? Always thought that whilst there is a sense of mass in X4, everything felt a bit 'papermache' in comparison.

Last edited:
Soldato
I stopped playing about a year and a half ago, again. Became unenjoyable to play due to being too laggy overall, and the Xenon have started conquering sectors, so the upcoming pew pew is going to be absurd. But I've finally got an upgrade in the works though, just waiting on the CPU.

Looking forward to picking up where I left and checking out the updates + new DLC. Does the physics stuff send in it more in the direction of Elite? Always thought that whilst there is a sense of mass in X4, everything felt a bit 'papermache' in comparison.

Last time I played the xenon were a non issue, and was relatively recent post rides of avarice, so could do with beefing up.

But apparently according to many posts of the egosoft forum anyway it seems there is some kind of game seed that determines their strength and can vary each game.

I agree about the physics ED was always more polished in that respect but meh, that game has no content imo X4 is far better.

Associate

Looking forward to picking up where I left off and checking out the updates + new DLC. Does the physics stuff send in it more in the direction of Elite? Always thought that whilst there is a sense of mass in X4, everything felt a bit 'papermache' in comparison.
From what I've read and heard the new update runs better

A.i is probably still dumb as a bag rocks tho

Soldato

Yeah they could do with improving that. More often then not the sectors with the Khaak hives will have a whole ton of xenon K and L's just hanging around outside the hives acheiving nothing. Id personally love to see the Xenon more of a threat or have some user control over their difficulty but alas no.

Permabanned
Last time I played the xenon were a non issue, and was relatively recent post rides of avarice, so could do with beefing up.

But apparently according to many posts of the egosoft forum anyway it seems there is some kind of game seed that determines their strength and can vary each game.

I agree about the physics ED was always more polished in that respect but meh, that game has no content imo X4 is far better.

Pity, was hoping the DLC and updates offered more in that department.

Actually, that reminds me. They were zero threat in my game too, and disappointingly, I had to install a mod that gave the Xenon a minor buff in production. Disappointingly, because the lack of a late game crisis is something that has been missing in X games since their creation. This was something I raised concern about way earlier in this thread, and the argument that you can take part in the faction wars was unconvincing and transpired to offer no challenge whatsoever, hence resorting to a mod.

Wasn't sure if it'd even done anything at first, until a saw an NPC sector suffering heavy invasions from the Xenon. I flew over and contained the threat for a while, but as soon as I was mass-producing Asgards I decided to bail. Now all the neighbouring systems are starting to fall. Late game really needs an existential threat like this. And yeah, some user control over their difficulty would definitely work well. Hopefully they'll dedicate a DLC pack to this one day.

Only mention ED because it's an absolutely fabulous space simulator. I love how it's actually a universe and navigating it is complex, as opposed to lame boxes with space wallpaper. The ability to plot a course to one of a gazillion planets, land, get up and go for a jog...Incredible stuff. Ironically, though, I think itself being such a great simulator is partly the reason why it's so utterly boring and souless. Hands down, X4 is way more enjoyable for me, it's just a shame I can't find my way with ED. Loved playing Elite 2 on the old Amiga.

Last edited:
Permabanned

I'd probably really struggle to run my game if I included all the new DLC (playing with everything before the pirate one) despite the performance updates.

There's a vid on YT with someone flying about a huge factory on a 5800X3D which was encouraging. Good FPS with an occasion micro stutter. This lead me to think the game takes advantage of the V Cache, but it's more about memory bandwidth than anything else.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Funny, of all the games I expected to be playing with my new setup (7900XTX, C3), Cyberpunk (I’ve played this too much now), BG3 (prefer it on Xbox), the one I’ve come back to and looks absolutely stunning (along with a decent 60-90fps at 4k) is this game.

I’ve bought all the DLC and rather than empire building, something I always end up doing, I think I’ll focus more on the new starts.

Last edited:

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Curious to see what the recently announced Timelines is all about, & ide love to know when we can expect it, probably no earlier than say early summer?.

Soldato
I spent longer messing with my controls than playing but, although I wanted to use my HOSAS, I am thinking I may just succumb to m+kb as the game was obviously designed for that. The constant switching can be annoying and though I can navigate most menus fine on the stick, some like the map screen decide to behave different, in that the menu buttons I used to navigate there then go back to the inflight versions instead. Not sure why it's classed differently.
But then I fly with the mouse+kb and I hate it because digital controls suck.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
TAA added. fk yea i been after this to get rid of shimmering on the edges of stuff since day 1. TY ego, also the other stuff looks nice, like new explosions, better shadows, and other stuff. With taa in now which i think uses motion vectors, they might update fsr to 3.0 now in a later patch and frame gen stuff for those that might need it.

The new dlc looks cool to imo, relive some of the cool stuff from the older games i enjoyed. :)

Back
Top Bottom