X4 Foundations

This hasn't been on my radar before as I wasn't really gaming for years despite always having a beefy system. Anyway I have always played No mans Sky but that was always my go to escapism when I needed to de-stress. So I guess the question is, is this a game someone can pick up and sink many hours into?. I enjoy this type of genre but dislike the certain child like aspect of NMS. Oh one last thing, I am not in anyway suggesting that these 2 games are comparable out with the setting!.
x4 takes days to even get anywhere.
you realise it's mostly sand box with not much of a story?

The universe kinda feels alive though, the npc empires build stations, send fleets out to defend/attack there's always some skirmish going on someplace.

Most of the game is just setting up your own empire, buying mining ships, traders, building stations to plug any gaps and make money etc.

The games what you make it, there's no "win condition"
The only end is when you personally die.

You can fly around manually your self, apart from early game there's not much point though, It's more like an RTS capitalism game how I play it.

You can be onboard a ship, but have someone else pilot it and just give them commands :P

to add, there is a story element to it as well but your not limited to it.
there are "secrets" i.e. derelic ships if you go look for them or keep an eye open for them.
The new time lines stuff seems to be outside of sandbox and like a set of missions.

I've not tried them yet, I think you get rewards for the open world normal mode though

I started a new game a few days ago after not playing for years.

I'm 40 hours in so far with no SETA.

only now am I seeing large fleets around and people fighting each other.

Seems my neighbours the ZVA are getting into scraps with everyone and don't really have any fleet of their own or defence force..

I noticed their shipyard needs loads of smart chips and they don't seem to have access to any, so I started making them next door at my HQ.
hopefully they get some defence soon cos the xenons are kinda pounding them.

I only have one boron gunship and can't really fight the stronger waves that are starting to come.

First 30 odd hours was really quiet and seemed kinda boring, so it takes atleast that long for the empires to become properly active and for the xenons to do more than send frigs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom