• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X800 GTO2 Thread, post your mods and clocks here.

Permabanned
OP
im not gonna bother myself Rab, the core never seems to get above 60oC and the stock coolers on these are the same as the X850XTPE :) buty in answer to your question... shouldnt be too hard.

Rab

Rab

Associate
locutus12 said:
im not gonna bother myself Rab, the core never seems to get above 60oC and the stock coolers on these are the same as the X850XTPE :) buty in answer to your question... shouldnt be too hard.

cheers m8. :)

Associate
I'm getting one of these cards within the next month or so. They better stay in stock. Changed my mind to this, within two minutes of reading about it.

Problem for me though, I've never overclocked a gfx card before :(

Associate
bigmouse64 said:
I'm getting one of these cards within the next month or so. They better stay in stock. Changed my mind to this, within two minutes of reading about it.

Problem for me though, I've never overclocked a gfx card before :(

Mate i was exactly the same,

Download Locutus's iso from the sticky in the graphics card section. Burn onto cd, uninstall all drivers for old card, run driver cleaner. Make sure your bios is boot from cd etc, install gto2 card and reboot with cd in, it will auto load, select from options to mod to 16 pipes.

Second install sti tool, select auto detect max core let this run for 30 mins plus, do same for max memory.

You now have a 16 pipe gto2 card that will be overclocked :)

Did i miss owt?

Associate
Sapphire GTO2
AMD 4400+ x 2 (FSB 228) 2.508 Ghz
2GB Corsair XMS3500LL (2-3-2-5 1T)

Anyone still wondering if the Zalman/Artic Coolers make any difference, I changed the stock Heat Sink to the Zalman V700cu with AS5. This really is a ten minute job and is simple to do.

Previously my max stable clocks (running ATI Tool for 2 hours)

VCORE 531
MEM 612
Max Temp 64C

Running in 5V silent mode

VCORE 543
MEM 620
Max Temp 57C

MY 3DMark2005 Score has crept up slightly from 6445 to 6577. Nothing amazing but the PC is now totally silent which was my reason for going for the Zalman.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Hi there

We still got plenty of stock left and we have managed to secure the last shipment from Sapphire which was destined for Europe but convinced Sapphire our needs are more.

So we have plenty of product in stock and more on the way, I also believe that we are now the only UK Etailor with product in stock and suspect we will now have exclusivity on this product. :D

Associate
Gazza 982,

Please could you give me a quick explanation of how the Zalman is fitted.
I switched the stock cooler to an arctic on a 9800pro a year or so ago, but wouldn't fancy going through it again tbh.
It's probably quite a different procedure with a Zalman and x800gto2 though. So might be tempted (i want the silence too). Is there any chance of damaging the card?

Associate
benskia

You remove the two screws on little metal brace at the rear of the GTO2 and the four screws holding on the main HS.

Remove the fan connector and it will come away without any force.

I used some ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier to clean the Core and Memory.

You fit the supplied nipples as they call them through the two holes closest to the core using the rubber washers. Screw on the rear metal brace and fit the memory heat sinks.

Apply the thermal grease to the core.

I used AS5 on the memory heat sinks as well using the ArctiClean and knife to remove the supplied Thermal Pads.

Then simply attach the flower cooler using two screws into the nipples you inserted earlier.

It really is simple and the only thing that can go wrong is you are too heavy handed or get thermal grease on other components and possibly cause a short.

Associate
Got 6106 at 510/609. I can get a little more out of the core - 520ish and score around 6200, but was rather hot. Looking forward to my opteron 146 arriving now, should improve things nicely.

Permabanned
OP
your opteron wont improve your 3dmark score, what temps is the card running at? its good for up to 120 degree, people on here have reported temps of 60 to 85oC

Associate
510/609 was running at 70oC solid after a 45 minute artifact scan with ATI tool, at 520 it was running at 75oC when the whole system crashed on it, but the temp was increasing. I think the Opteron will help the score a bit, having 1mb cache and a faster clock speed has to help a bit. Also with the Opteron will be a Seasonic PSU, to replace the standard Antec 350w one which came iwth my case, I think I will be able to push the whole system a bit more, whilst remaining stable on that... or at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Associate
locutus12, I was right, a faster CPU will make a difference to my 3dmark05 score. I just clocked my Venice up to 2.2Ghz and at 510/609 I got 6210 :D Now I'm really excited about the Opty, will hopefully clock a lot higher than 2.2Ghz!

Permabanned
OP
Wakinglimb said:
locutus12, I was right, a faster CPU will make a difference to my 3dmark05 score. I just clocked my Venice up to 2.2Ghz and at 510/609 I got 6210 :D Now I'm really excited about the Opty, will hopefully clock a lot higher than 2.2Ghz!

are you running the CPU tests in 3dmark 05 ? they have squat to do with your available graphics power and shouldnt be ran, the only tests you should be running are the 3dmark game tests. maybe i should rephrase what i originally said, a faster CPU over what you originally had has no effect on your available graphics power. also try dropping your memory to 580 or so and pushing the core up, the GPU speed adds far more to your 3dmark score per available mhz than your memory and at 600 + on the memory it may be causing artifacts in ati tool and giving you the impression that the GPU cant go higher...

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not running those tests, just the GPU ones... I think, but I do just leave it and come back, will re-run after my night shift and see what happens.

My GTO2 is "interesting" to say the least. The ram will go to around 630 without issues, but when the ram is at 580, the GPU is still fairly lame and still tends to crash the PC at around 525ish. I think I may leave the RAM at stock and try the cpu again.

Soldato
Hi there guys, long time buyer and first time poster here.

I just ordered a GTO² for myself last night, and with any luck it will arrive tomorrow morning. I'm going to use the ISO that locutus12 here has kindly provided, as I've heard nothing but good things about it here and over at the forums on AnandTech.

I'm totally excited about getting hold of one of these cards, and I'll be sure to post some benchmarks as soon as possible.

My current system is as follows: -

Asus K8V-SE Deluxe (Socket 754, AGP)
AMD Athlon64 3400+ Newcastle (no OC)
1024MB generic PC2700 RAM (no OC)
Chaintech 6600GT 128MB AGP (164/1130)

I've not run 3D Mark 05 in ages but I get ~9000 in 3D Mark 03.

I'm switching out my Asus board for the S754/PCI-E Gigabyte board that's still in stock, and I'm going to run the X800 GTO² with the rest of the hardware as-is. Do you guys think I'll still benefit from the performance boost considering I'm still using crap memory?

Last edited:
Soldato
Exsomnis said:
Hi there guys, long time buyer and first time poster here.

I just ordered a GTO² for myself last night, and with any luck it will arrive tomorrow morning. I'm going to use the ISO that locutus12 here has kindly provided, as I've heard nothing but good things about it here and over at the forums on AnandTech.

I'm totally excited about getting hold of one of these cards, and I'll be sure to post some benchmarks as soon as possible.

My current system is as follows: -

Asus K8V-SE Deluxe (Socket 754, AGP)
AMD Athlon64 3400+ Newcastle (no OC)
1024MB generic PC2700 RAM (no OC)
Chaintech 6600GT 128MB AGP (164/1130)

I've not run 3D Mark 05 in ages but I get ~9000 in 3D Mark 03.

I'm switching out my Asus board for the S754/PCI-E Gigabyte board that's still in stock, and I'm going to run the X800 GTO² with the rest of the hardware as-is. Do you guys think I'll still benefit from the performance boost considering I'm still using crap memory?

First up.
Welcome to OCUK forums m8 :)

Good choice on board BTW.
You should see a very large leap in performance for sure.
You have to consider that the mainbopards chipset for a start is far better, you will deffinitely now be able to overclock more then you could on that Asus (Around 220mhz max FSB ?).

Back
Top Bottom