**XBOX ONE** Official Thread

Would I be wrong in thinking that the term they use for 'dedicated servers' is not in the sense of how gamers understand this term?

That to me reads like they are saying the games have dedicated servers for offloading tasks from the console. Nothing about dedicated servers for multiplayer.

Today, Shiring wrote, many games use player-hosted servers, which assign one player in a party as the host and route the action through that player's machine. That setup is susceptible to lag, host disconnects, bandwidth limitations and more.

By contrast, Titanfall will use dedicated servers that allow the developer to perform calculations like AI behavior on the server, allow players' machines to concentrate on the game being played rather than burning cycles serving as a hosts and eliminate any advantage the console serving as a host might receive — including player hacks.

But yeah I can see what you mean, this game ok has dedicated servers for online and MS did say every online game has dedicated servers but maybe they are not mandatory. MS could maybe have meant every game will have access to their cloud servers (if they pay).

Last edited:
Would I be wrong in thinking that the term they use for 'dedicated servers' is not in the sense of how gamers understand this term?

That to me reads like they are saying the games have dedicated servers for offloading tasks from the console. Nothing about dedicated servers for multiplayer.

If you read the whole interview: http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/ Respawn have reiterated that multiplayer gaming is exactly one of the main benefits of the MS dedicated server solution. They highlight benefits that include no host advantage, equal latency and lag, disconnects etc etc.

Frodders: It's an EA published game. From what I gather anyone is welcome to buy dedicated solution from MS and I gather the PC version will also use them. I'm guessing MS and EA did a deal where they get them for free for timed exclusivity.

What would make me laugh is if EA used MS and Azure as their dedicated server solution for PS4 games.

But yeah I can see what you mean, this game ok has dedicated servers for online and MS did say every online game has dedicated servers but maybe they are not mandatory. MS could maybe have meant every game will have access to their cloud servers (if they pay).

The problem is MS can't really dictate to developers and publishers what to do. I think what they have done is provide a discounted solution but a publisher could still do what they do now, like EA and forward XBL matchmaking to their own servers or even not bother and stick with P2P.

Last edited:
Frodders: It's an EA published game. From what I gather anyone is welcome to buy dedicated solution from MS and I gather the PC version will also use them. I'm guessing MS and EA did a deal where they get them for free for timed exclusivity.

So it is

could have sworn i'd read somewhere it was an Activison game. I obviously mis read the reference to respawn being made from Infinity Ward founders

That's always a good thing. I would feel the same way about my job if I could move away from the 1st line support I do and go fully into the software/server side of things I lean more towards. Unfortunately there is zero chance of that happening.

Back on topic, if anyone is interested in Project Spark, they're taking applications for beta testers right now - https://joinprojectspark.com/

Signed up for this, looks like a very interesting game.

My only concern with dedicated servers for multiplayer and tying games into the cloud is, how long will publishers continue paying for those servers if a game isn't making money anymore or wasn't deemed successful enough to justify the costs?

EA already has a habit of switching off multiplayer for older games, but if things like AI and CPU calculations are being offloaded to servers, will we start to see games that are made entirely unplayable after being out for a couple of years?

Hopefully the cost will be cheap enough that this isn't an issue though.

Well it looks like there'll be no bundled headset because... the reason... its got Kinect O.o

Source

Its official description: "A must-have for fans of online gaming, the new Xbox One Chat Headset, wired to the controller, is designed for long gaming sessions and clear voice chat. With a lightweight and comfortable new design, the mono chat headset features wideband digital audio and a unidirectional microphone. Gamers will love not having to take their hands off the controller to access the microphone mute and volume controls."

Clearly not a must have or it would be in the box :D
No idea why they would think people would want to use kinect for online gaming. Who in their right mind would want the whole family listening to Xbox lives casual racist sexist remarks and rage?

I wouldn't care too much but they could atleast have let me use the headset that came with the 360.

I'll wait to see how good Kinect is before complaining about that.
Aw come on, anyone civilised wont want voice chat to be blared out over TV/speakers. Thats before you consider how sensitive Kinect will need to be to pick up your single voice to transmit over voice comms rather than background stuff...

Its a silly move by MS, stinks of money saving - it scares me to think how much better this console would have been without Kinect, everything they corner-cut is to ensure a reasonable price because Kinects bundled...

EDIT: I bet you if they had never made the decision to make Kinect mandatory and ensure a similar specced/priced consoles (think thats an acceptable assumption) as the PS4 that DRM would have been much easier to swallow, thats how much I think MS have banked on Kinect, when from most of our POVs its a nice bonus but not the keystone of the XO.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
I'll wait to see how good Kinect is before complaining about that.

Are you expecting it to work well? I used the old kinect for a few days for voice comms and it was horrendous. I had to almost shout and I could barely hear any voices through my tv. It will never be a decent replacement for a headset.

Its official description: "A must-have for fans of online gaming, the new Xbox One Chat Headset, wired to the controller, is designed for long gaming sessions and clear voice chat. With a lightweight and comfortable new design, the mono chat headset features wideband digital audio and a unidirectional microphone. Gamers will love not having to take their hands off the controller to access the microphone mute and volume controls."

Clearly not a must have or it would be in the box :D
No idea why they would think people would want to use kinect for online gaming. Who in their right mind would want the whole family listening to Xbox lives casual racist sexist remarks and rage?

I wouldn't care too much but they could atleast have let me use the headset that came with the 360.

They know people won't want to use the kinect and there will be loads of people buying the headset at £35 a pop. Ms really know how to rob people.

Are you expecting it to work well? I used the old kinect for a few days for voice comms and it was horrendous. I had to almost shout and I could barely hear any voices through my tv. It will never be a decent replacement for a headset.

I don't know, I never tried the original and until we get the new version we can only guess :p

I'm sure I'll pick up a headset at some point, I'm not a huge multiplayer gamer though.

They know people won't want to use the kinect and there will be loads of people buying the headset at £35 a pop. Ms really know how to rob people.

You could say the same about extra controllers for co-op. PS3 didn't come with a headset did it?

People will always be able to argue what they do and don't want included, because not everyone wants everything. Someone not interested in multiplayer will complain that they're paying for a headset, someone not interested in voice control and motion capture will be annoyed that they're paying for Kinect.

You can't please everyone.

The voice control through Kinect (granted the current one) can be summed up simply by one experience I had when watching An Idiot Abroad. There was a point where monkeys were climbing all over him, and he kept saying stop. Sky Player took this literally and stopped the playback. Upon resuming playback, it actually skips back a few seconds so replayed the same scene with the same result, it stopping. I actually had to mute the volume, resume, wait a few seconds and then unmute.

I do like the idea of having Kinect, as having a young son at some point I think it will come in useful, but not for at least another 12-18 months I would think. As a voice communications tool, it's a joke currently and I really can't see it being much better in it's new incarnation.

I always wear headphones when playing which are plugged into my amp and I have the headset plugged into the controller for the mic. Presmably I can just use the kinect mic without needing a headset/mic from the controller. Not sure how I will sound to others though because of the distance that I am sat away from kinect mic.

The voice control through Kinect (granted the current one) can be summed up simply by one experience I had when watching An Idiot Abroad. There was a point where monkeys were climbing all over him, and he kept saying stop. Sky Player took this literally and stopped the playback. Upon resuming playback, it actually skips back a few seconds so replayed the same scene with the same result, it stopping. I actually had to mute the volume, resume, wait a few seconds and then unmute.

I do like the idea of having Kinect, as having a young son at some point I think it will come in useful, but not for at least another 12-18 months I would think. As a voice communications tool, it's a joke currently and I really can't see it being much better in it's new incarnation.

I also like the idea of voice commands but it's horrible as a replacement for a headset.

You could say the same about extra controllers for co-op. PS3 didn't come with a headset did it?

People will always be able to argue what they do and don't want included, because not everyone wants everything. Someone not interested in multiplayer will complain that they're paying for a headset, someone not interested in voice control and motion capture will be annoyed that they're paying for Kinect.

You can't please everyone.

My issue is ms remove the headset and then release a statement about the headset saying it's a must for any online gamer.... Why remove it then? They want the xbox online all the time and say it's important but they don't want to bundle it I'm? The old headset can be bought for £6 on ebay and they could have easily done the same on the one but they wanted to make one that looks fancier so they can change 6x more and make it separate.

It's clear why ms have done this. You could use any old bluebook headset with the ps3 but I doubt there will be a cheap alternative out upon release.

My issue is ms remove the headset and then release a statement about the headset saying it's a must for any online gamer.... Why remove it then? They want the xbox online all the time and say it's important but they don't want to bundle it I'm? The old headset can be bought for £6 on ebay and they could have easily done the same on the one but they wanted to make one that looks fancier so they can change 6x more and make it separate.

It's clear why ms have done this. You could use any old bluebook headset with the ps3 but I doubt there will be a cheap alternative out upon release.

Advertising spiel is advertising spiel. They want the box online all the time, they didn't say anything about gaming online all the time, my console is online all the time as it is but the amount of time I spend online using a headset is a small fraction of that. Until final prices are announced (and I'm not talking RRP here) we don't know how much it will cost. We also don't know what kind of adapters will be available.

Also a lot of people on here seem to get third party headsets anyway! (Turtle Beach etc)

Back
Top Bottom