Xbox One X

Soldato
I have joined the X club:

hmk61Bj.jpg.png

A bit smaller bit a lot heavier than my OG Day 1 edition Xbox One:

0NaOg29.jpg.png

Right at home:

jiSrmL9.jpg

(I was even able to move the switch back down as it wouldn't fit before). :)

Still waiting on doom 3 to finish downloading before playing it. Looks like the only downside is the massive game sizes with the 4K / high res texture packs..

I have a few things to play around with; Far Cry 5, Doom, ROTR, Halo 5, Halo 3 (OG & MCC), FH3 and soon to acquire RD:R (I have never played it.. :eek:).

Should keep me amused for a while :D

Associate
Picked mine up to accompany my 4K HDR TV following the death of my PC. And I have definitely been blown away by what a console can put out these days. Looks like I'll be on console for the foreseeable future with the odd Indie game on my laptop!

Been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and it looks absolutely stunning. The option of native 4K or uncapped framerate is excellent and is something I'd love to see on all Xbox One X Enhanced titles.

Soldato
Bought one as well a few days ago only £399.99 as well which is an amazing bargain considering the hardware & smooth 4K experience with HDR.

The Good:
High hardware spec & build quality.
Incredible visuals with HDR enabled on the enhanced XB1X titles. Not quite a PC slayer but HDR is the main reason I bought this as PC HDR is still several years away from rolling out as mainstream.
Value for money is ridiculous it would cost triple the price for a decent PC capable of these visuals @ 4K.
1TB HD is surprisingly speedy & has enough space for about 8 maybe 9 large games before you need to buy more storage.
Enhanced XB1X titles is a free way to enhance any existing Xbox360 games you might already own like Fallout 3.
Some games can be played after a 30% install.
100% silent the only noise is when you install from disc. For such a tiny little box that is a stunning achievement when you consider this is effectively a 4K PC level gaming device.
FPS is smooth & consistent in most games no frame pacing issues (only minor HD loading delays)

The Bad:
Game installs times are ridiculous. Most of the time it ignores the Disc content & just goes straight to Xbox Live instead to download. Even Return to Arkham Batman Arkham Asylum wants to download another 7 GB from XBL & ends up around 25GB but looks little different to the base game!
I am seeing a lot of games do not even fill the BD disc they are less than hall full & require a lot of downloading which takes forever when the XBL servers are busy.
Controller is very dinky feeling not sure how long it will last it feels flimsy.
You really need a decent 4K HDTV with HDR to get the best out of this console. HDR is a game changer visually but the cost of a good 4K HDTV makes this an expensive purchase overall!
Too many options & preferences which disable others like Achievements popping onscreen if your not interested in streaming content!

Overall its a stunning piece of kit for under £400!!

I am going to be spending the next several 100 hours replaying Fallout 4 again (I already have well over 250 hours on this on PC) with the enhanced patch which makes it look incredible. Rise Of The Tomb Raider though is the best looking title right now with HDR enabled its stunning nothing else can beat that visually.

PROTIP:
Buy all your games on disc it saves a lot of money most of these are around £15-18 even GOTY editions this saves you a fortune on the ripoff XBL prices for digital versions!! I managed to pick up 9 decent games for only £130 vs £350 for the digital versions!

Soldato
I must admit the game install times are the only downside I am seeing atm. FC5 was ok as it installed most the game from the disc, doom on the other hand indtalled only 576 MB from the disc and 60+GB from live. I assume a lot of this was the HD texture pack, but even my OG Xbox one only installed the same amount from the disc...?

Halo 5 is fun with a nearly 99GB install, at least 50 or so is from the disc.

Soldato
MS would never admit it but I think a lot of this install time is down to DRM & constantly checking file & disc integrity which is why they cannot easily fix it (if they even wanted to!).

No way can I believe they have spent the last 3 years knowing about this issue but not finding anyway to fix it!

To be fair though buying 300,000 XBL servers is a massive investment from MS so you can see why they want to ensure the console stays as secure as possible.

Associate
To install faster from disc, go offline.

Xbox is using a system that check each file against updated client and replace them. That's why it's slower.

Soldato
Is your PC not good enough to match X1X in this game then?
24 Core 1920X + GTX1080 KFA2 HOF so yes easily good enough & I spent a very happy 250 hours @ 4K & over 100 with the 58GB HD textures pack.

But I noticed recently in streaming videos on youtube the X1X version looked better ingame than PC so I took a chance bought one & can confirm it does indeed look ever so slightly better than the PC. Textures are a lot sharper in most places (landscapes especially have a crisper look to them) & the game feels smoother overall than PC due to the fixed X1X hardware I guess allowing Bethesda to tweak things a bit further.

But if you are a Fallout 4 fan then I recommend getting the X1X & the game its a slightly different experience but overall well worth paying for the slightly enhanced visuals & smoother stable FPS.

Soldato
To install faster from disc, go offline.

Xbox is using a system that check each file against updated client and replace them. That's why it's slower.
Tried that first it makes no difference all the games I bought have massive updates between 7-42GB!!! left it on overnight downloaded about 500GB so far of updates LOL!!

Soldato
That game alone should keep you going, great game and with the new 4k enhancements, should look even better.

Yeah when I saw the DF "review" of the update I was like :eek:. I will pick it up once I have completed Doom and FC:5.

Dredd - That is interesting although wouldn't the console prompt to update the game once you jump back online?

Associate
Dredd - That is interesting although wouldn't the console prompt to update the game once you jump back online?

Yes, but gets you into game faster. You will require the update, but that will happen at night instead.

I have never purchased a disc based xbox game, its cheaper to go digital if you look for deals.

Soldato
Ah got you. :)

Being able to jump into the game whilst it was still installed was "interesting" with Doom last night. The game loaded up and ran but basically loaded the level geometry, UI and enemies. Everything else was missing..

Kind of funny tbh as it was like playing "Doom - Silhouette edition". :p

Back
Top Bottom