Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Associate
Finally got my hands on the Series X today :D

First impressions compared to the PS5, the controller does pale in comparison to the dual sense, it feels kind of plasticky and small in the hand, the haptic feedback and triggers are also way more immersive.

I have only tried the Forza horizon 4 demo to be fair, so I'll reserve judgement after more play time.

I predominatly got the X for Flight Sim on the big tv, and I am absolutely blown away at how well it plays and looks compared to my gaming rig, which is getting on a bit now.

Overall the PS5 feels more slick and nicer to look at in the menus from my initial impression, but I'll have more hands on time tomorrow to dig a little deeper into the settings.

So what are the recommendations to get to show off the system?

Associate
Quick question - Series S plus Game Pass a good idea for a 7 year old xmas present? Is there enough content on there for a child of this age? And how much is Game Pass?

Associate
Quick question - Series S plus Game Pass a good idea for a 7 year old xmas present? Is there enough content on there for a child of this age? And how much is Game Pass?
Game Pass and a Series S are a brilliant combination. Game Pass can currently be bought cheap by buying 3 years worth of Xbox Live Gold then signing up for Game Pass which converts all 3 years to Game Pass Ultimate. I paid £90 for 3 years, it can be bought cheaper depending on the deals at the time. In regards to games for a 7 year old I can't say, not my demographic but there are plenty of games available.

https://gamepasscounter.com/

Caporegime
Man of Honour
Game Pass and a Series S are a brilliant combination. Game Pass can currently be bought cheap by buying 3 years worth of Xbox Live Gold then signing up for Game Pass which converts all 3 years to Game Pass Ultimate. I paid £90 for 3 years, it can be bought cheaper depending on the deals at the time. In regards to games for a 7 year old I can't say, not my demographic but there are plenty of games available.

https://gamepasscounter.com/

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/games?xr=shellnav#all-games

This shows all the games, you can Filter "Play on Series X/S" and "Maturity Rating to Everyone". 76 games so plenty to keep them occupied!

rp2000

Both of those sites are horrible to use, I prefer this one: https://gamepassport.net/

Although for the specific purpose of E rated games rp2000's suggestion is better.

Soldato
So the latest update to the console has improved remote play function for my Series X. I was getting issues with buffering and quality issues, and bar the occaisioanl wifi issue (not present when wired on other computers) the stream has been solid and good quality. I'm only playing at 1080p when streaming so 4K is lost but its improved. I wonder if they've now rolled out the rainway api in to the streaming component now.

Soldato
I’ve been playing Halo infinite multiplayer a fair bit, and I’m absolutely hooked on it.

I’m improving a fair bit too, after an awful start, I’m starting to really get into the gameplay loop/meta or whatever it’s called.

Updating my settings had a big effect too, as I often Melee’d accidentally during a gunfight. I moved melee to B and assigned crouch to R-click. I then set up a profile on my elite series controller to map the crouch to the same paddle as it was before (right paddle), as this is what I’m used slide with in all shooters.

Also bumped the sensitivity a fair bit, as well as the acceleration. I’m usually one to prefer slower aim, always have done even back in unreal tournament days, but found lower sense in this feels sluggish. I don’t think I’m noticing much of a difference in the elite series’ response curve, but have it set to “instant”, and the trigger pull from 0-1. FOV is at 115 and running the game at 120FPS.

Anyone else spend time with this so far, any settings you found useful?

Man of Honour
I’ve been playing Halo infinite multiplayer a fair bit, and I’m absolutely hooked on it.

I’m improving a fair bit too, after an awful start, I’m starting to really get into the gameplay loop/meta or whatever it’s called.

Updating my settings had a big effect too, as I often Melee’d accidentally during a gunfight. I moved melee to B and assigned crouch to R-click. I then set up a profile on my elite series controller to map the crouch to the same paddle as it was before (right paddle), as this is what I’m used slide with in all shooters.

Also bumped the sensitivity a fair bit, as well as the acceleration. I’m usually one to prefer slower aim, always have done even back in unreal tournament days, but found lower sense in this feels sluggish. I don’t think I’m noticing much of a difference in the elite series’ response curve, but have it set to “instant”, and the trigger pull from 0-1. FOV is at 115 and running the game at 120FPS.

Anyone else spend time with this so far, any settings you found useful?

You should join us next weekend, it’s much better with a full team.

I use 1 acceleration, 10 vertical speed, 9 horizontal speed, all 3 dead zone settings for look set to 2.

FOV is at 90 as any higher and it affects your ability to aim. You definitely want to leave the right stick response curve as linear.

My accuracy is around 60% with those settings.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll give those a whirl and see what I think of it, thanks @Kreeeee . My sensitivity is it at 8 and 8 and acceleration's at 4.

I'd love to join as a group as I don't have a Halo crew (working on one mate to get into it) - I ran into a few teams that were running together and had my ass handed to me. I'm in Australia though, so pings of 250+ won't be ideal. I had a few dodgy games today where I must have joined an American server (accents on comms confirmed this :D ) as my ping was in that 250 range. It was oddly semi-playable for such a ridiculously high ping.

Soldato
Game Pass can currently be bought cheap by buying 3 years worth of Xbox Live Gold then signing up for Game Pass which converts all 3 years to Game Pass Ultimate. I paid £90 for 3 years, it can be bought cheaper depending on the deals at the time.

Is it as simple as you say, I literally buy three years of Gold and sign up for Game Pass (is that Game Pass Ultimate, do I sign up for a month or more..?) which then converts all three years of Gold into Ultimate..?

What happens if I already have Ultimate, do I just need to wait for the current monthly sub to end before buying 3 yrs Gold and going through the process?

Associate
Is it as simple as you say, I literally buy three years of Gold and sign up for Game Pass (is that Game Pass Ultimate, do I sign up for a month or more..?) which then converts all three years of Gold into Ultimate..?

What happens if I already have Ultimate, do I just need to wait for the current monthly sub to end before buying 3 yrs Gold and going through the process?
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/xbox-gamepass-ultimate-conversion-is-back-for-1.18886177/

Thread there covers it. If you already have Game Pass Ultimate you have to let it expire before adding the Xbox Live Gold. You can also only have 36 months on your account and convert.

Soldato
Im looking for someone to gameshare with on the xbox - i was tied with my stepson but he's moved onto his own account now, if anyone is interested drop me a message in trust. (recent pick ups on my account are Last Judgement, Sonic Colours, Monkeyball (out next week) but can share lists with anyone who would be up for it.

Man of Honour
I'll give those a whirl and see what I think of it, thanks @Kreeeee . My sensitivity is it at 8 and 8 and acceleration's at 4.

I'd love to join as a group as I don't have a Halo crew (working on one mate to get into it) - I ran into a few teams that were running together and had my ass handed to me. I'm in Australia though, so pings of 250+ won't be ideal. I had a few dodgy games today where I must have joined an American server (accents on comms confirmed this :D ) as my ping was in that 250 range. It was oddly semi-playable for such a ridiculously high ping.

I have a friend in Japan who is having the same issue :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I have that on PC are there any other games that work with it i could test ?

From The Verge:

Around 10 games will support Dolby Vision at launch today, according to a list on the Xbox website, but Microsoft promises more than 100 will be optimized soon. F1 2021, Psychonauts 2, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Gears 5, Borderlands 3, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, DIRT 5, Metro Exodus, all include Dolby Vision support.

Back
Top Bottom