yet another messi thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
cheets64 said:
For Messi to do that in a Semi Final of the biggest cup comp in South America awesome, its like a bit different from Rooney chipping Watford 3-0, Messi had to score.

While that's proberly true my point was that getting it up and down so quickly obviously isn't as hard as some people make out, whereas from so far out (Rooney v Pompy) to get it spot on top corner with the keeper not far off his line makes Rooney's better :)

Soldato
Tom84 said:
While that's proberly true my point was that getting it up and down so quickly obviously isn't as hard as some people make out, whereas from so far out (Rooney v Pompy) to get it spot on top corner with the keeper not far off his line makes Rooney's better :)

I'm sorry but chipping a goalkeeper, not the smallest people in the world, is more difficult the closer you are to goal. Take the Man United red spectacles off and you will see that to chip a goalkeeper from there is very difficult. Rooney's was a fantastic goal but if you had 10 attempts to score either of them, you'd find it harder to match Messi's.

Soldato
Tom84 said:
Spot on, no one can ever convince me that that was better than Rooney's against Portsmouth. Hell Rooney also chipped the Watford keeper last season at OT and that was more comparable to Messi's than the Portsmouth goal.

Rooney's chip against Pompy is out on it's own. :)

Rooney v Watford
That was a lob against Watford not a "chip", and it really wasn't anything to shout about.

Soldato
[ASSE]Hinchy said:
I'm sorry but chipping a goalkeeper, not the smallest people in the world, is more difficult the closer you are to goal. Take the Man United red spectacles off and you will see that to chip a goalkeeper from there is very difficult. Rooney's was a fantastic goal but if you had 10 attempts to score either of them, you'd find it harder to match Messi's.
Completely agree.

Nice to see some people know what they're talking about. :)

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
It was a good goal, there is no denying it, but the keeper was woefully placed making a chip quite easy.
I agree.

But, you have to remember there will always by an element of blame on the keeper if they get chipped from so close.

His positioning wasn't very good, but it also wasn't terrible. He has to narrow the angle at least a little, and with the defender coming accross the chip was probably the last thing he expected. I think once he made the move out and with the defender closing in it basically made Messi's mind up to go for it. It was unboubtedly supreme skill to pull it off though.

I definately wouldn't call it an easy goal, though he did make it look easy. I've seen some truly astonishing goals in my time playing football, goals that would be called world class if a pro scored it, I can honestly say I've never seen an equivalent goal in the 16 years I've been playing club football.

Caporegime
My mate went to see barca this year and was dissapointed with messi, he said he covered next to no ground on the pitch. The same with Ronaldhino.

Nice goal though, didnt realise veron was still an international. Arent chelsea still paying his wages?

Caporegime
No, Chelsea cancelled the contract last week.

Personally, in that game I thought Veron was awesome, he still had his lead boots on at times though. I thought Mascherano was poor, he gave foul after foul away, but he's a great player to have.
But for the love of God, can anyone tell me why Cambiasso plays for them? I've never seen him be more than average for club or country.

Caporegime
wedgie said:
I agree.

But, you have to remember there will always by an element of blame on the keeper if they get chipped from so close.

His positioning wasn't very good, but it also wasn't terrible. He has to narrow the angle at least a little, and with the defender coming accross the chip was probably the last thing he expected. I think once he made the move out and with the defender closing in it basically made Messi's mind up to go for it. It was unboubtedly supreme skill to pull it off though.

The keeper was too slow off his line, the ball was always going to be played to Messi and the defender had the other striker (Tevez) covered, the 2nd defender was ill-placed and the keeper should never have given Messi time to take a touch first. Whilst the chip was good skill I honestly can't understand the ranting and raving over it.

Don
dannyjo22 said:
My mate went to see barca this year and was dissapointed with messi, he said he covered next to no ground on the pitch. The same with Ronaldhino.

Nice goal though, didnt realise veron was still an international. Arent chelsea still paying his wages?

God, I forgot Veron even played for Chelsea! :eek:

Permabanned
CliffyG said:
err yeah it might have been him :o. No wonder i couldnt find it on youtube lol.

Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usnX62YycUw

EDIT

Actually after watching that i'm sure Henry scored a different one against Schmeichel when he was virtually on the line.

You could actually hear Andy Gray clapping. :D "Oh that's special, you don't buy those, they don't come in packets!" :D:D

Great goal by Messi. A wonderful talent who is getting better all the time.

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
I'd disagree.

For me, there are 5 wonderkids in the world.

1) Ronaldo
2) Kaka
3) Fabregas
4) Rooney
5) Messi

And yes, that's my order too.

Rooney ahead of Messi? LOL

You must really hate Messi to put him that low, Rooney is way overrated and doesn't score nearly enough goals for his position, Messi even has a better goal/game ratio and plays deeper.

Soldato
Visionary said:

You must really hate Messi to put him that low, Rooney is way overrated and doesn't score nearly enough goals for his position, Messi even has a better goal/game ratio and plays deeper.

18 goals in his first season with us
19 the season after
23 last season

Not a bad return for a striker who's still only 21, not to mention there's much more to Rooney's game than just goals. He also gets stuck out wide a lot.

Caporegime
Visionary said:

Yes, I hate Messi so much I put him 5th (4th) in the top wonderkids in the world.

When Messi can do what Rooney can do, maybe. But Messi is a cheat, quite weak on the ball. Rooney is direct power. Messi is of course the better dribbler, but other than that I'd say Rooney does everything else better.

Rooney was Man Utd's top goal scorer along with Ronaldo last season, so he clearly scores goals.

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
Yes, I hate Messi so much I put him 5th (4th) in the top wonderkids in the world.

When Messi can do what Rooney can do, maybe. But Messi is a cheat, quite weak on the ball. Rooney is direct power. Messi is of course the better dribbler, but other than that I'd say Rooney does everything else better.

Rooney was Man Utd's top goal scorer along with Ronaldo last season, so he clearly scores goals.
Messi is certainly not weak on the ball, and whether or not he is a cheat is irrelevant to whos the better footballer.

Messi can win you games single handedly when the team is playing poorly, Rooney usually only plays well when Utd play well.

Soldato
NokkonWud said:

How does Messi being a cheat push him down your rankings? They should be decided on how good the player is.

Rooney doesn't do everything else better. Regardless of whether Rooney is top scorer at Man U, he isnt as prolific as Messi.

Soldato
weringo said:
Messi is certainly not weak on the ball, and whether or not he is a cheat is irrelevant to whos the better footballer.

Messi can win you games single handedly when the team is playing poorly, Rooney usually only plays well when Utd play well.

Exactly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom