"You want some?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm aggressive back and point out he should have a mask on (should probably just have ignored him at that point). I think I mostly did the right thing apart from maybe provoking him back

Proverbs
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.

Give over pal. Plenty of people have been in the same situations as you and were lucky enough not to get caught by the police in a fight, it happens to most guys at some point or another in their life. It's clearly not ideal but it happens.

The problem is, if you confront someone who's being aggressive - chances are they're looking for a scrap, by confronting them (presumably by squaring up, willing them on) you're essentially inflaming the situation, rather than deescalating, this will catch up with you in the interview room at the police station, especially if you had the option to walk away, but chose not too.

By walking away, you're doing everything you can to avoid a physical altercation, the best thing to do is just call the cops, keep a good distance and record whats going on for them, that way you're safeguarding yourself from being dragged into an absolute nightmare.

I had an issue with a guy in a car whilst I was in my van. Unfortunately I cut him up but really didn't mean to.

He followed me for a few miles shouting at me to pull over. Eventually I did but he didn't have space to pull in behind me (not intentional) as I was more than happy to talk it out. I'm a pretty chilled guy but ive never really shyed away from confrontation as I've had more than my fair share of scraps in my time.

Anyway, he pulled up along side me and as I lowered the window he started shouting at me about how he was going to end me and knew my licence number and was going to find me and I was finished. While he was going quite frankly bat **** crazy at me I calmly said that I was in the wrong and it was totally my fault.

This only seemed to spur him on further into insults. At this point I had lost patience and started to lose my cool a little and just said that I'd had enough of his threats and that if he wanted to step out of his car right now and sort this out right at the side of the road I'd be more than happy to do so and that he should seriousy think about his next actions wisely.

He shut up, wound the window up and sped off.....

People can be very strange sometimes

Wow, mega triggered.

There has been a video posted here about a white racist guy beaing ko'd and no one minded mentioning he was white or the colour of his assailant?

But now its an issue because the white person was an innocent victim?

No, the issue is that you specifically made that your point in your post.

You didn't even go for the usual "low hanging fruit" of "bloody young kids being disrespectful" The key point of your post was the fact they were Asian and you even went so far as to assert that had you and the cashier both been of Asian Descent then it would likely not have happened.

The whole post was premised on the idea that they did it due to race.

The problem is, if you confront someone who's being aggressive - chances are they're looking for a scrap, by confronting them (presumably by squaring up, willing them on) you're essentially inflaming the situation, rather than deescalating, this will catch up with you in the interview room at the police station, especially if you had the option to walk away, but chose not too.

By walking away, you're doing everything you can to avoid a physical altercation, the best thing to do is just call the cops, keep a good distance and record whats going on for them, that way you're safeguarding yourself from being dragged into an absolute nightmare.

I don't necessarily disagree with you - but that typically doesn't happen in my experience, especially when alcohol is involved.

I'm not advocating you dive in swinging punches, but I wouldn't be running out the side/back door either and think that you need to stand up for yourself.

That's how I was brought up anyway.

No, the issue is that you specifically made that your point in your post.

You didn't even go for the usual "low hanging fruit" of "bloody young kids being disrespectful" The key point of your post was the fact they were Asian and you even went so far as to assert that had you and the cashier both been of Asian Descent then it would likely not have happened.

The whole post was premised on the idea that they did it due to race.

They weren't 8 years old. They were of trouble making age.

Lots of people still mention race is George Floyds case but there is no proof that the same couldn't have happened if the victim or the arresting officer been of a different race.

I had an issue with a guy in a car whilst I was in my van. Unfortunately I cut him up but really didn't mean to.

He followed me for a few miles shouting at me to pull over. Eventually I did but he didn't have space to pull in behind me (not intentional) as I was more than happy to talk it out. I'm a pretty chilled guy but ive never really shyed away from confrontation as I've had more than my fair share of scraps in my time.

Anyway, he pulled up along side me and as I lowered the window he started shouting at me about how he was going to end me and knew my licence number and was going to find me and I was finished. While he was going quite frankly bat **** crazy at me I calmly said that I was in the wrong and it was totally my fault.

This only seemed to spur him on further into insults. At this point I had lost patience and started to lose my cool a little and just said that I'd had enough of his threats and that if he wanted to step out of his car right now and sort this out right at the side of the road I'd be more than happy to do so and that he should seriousy think about his next actions wisely.

He shut up, wound the window up and sped off.....

People can be very strange sometimes

Exactly my point - the ones that run their mouths for ages are often the ones that will do nothing in the end when forced to action. It's the ones that say nothing you should watch out for!

I don't necessarily disagree with you - but that typically doesn't happen in my experience, especially when alcohol is involved.

I'm not advocating you dive in swinging punches, but I wouldn't be running out the side/back door either and think that you need to stand up for yourself.

Would it also be fair to say that when you were "brought up that way" - it was many years ago before knife crime was a significant problem it is today? In an era when the chances of your "opponent" carrying a blade was basically nil, unless they were actually a "hardened criminal" (hatchet harry lol)?

The world has changed. The way you were "brought up" doesn't fit in with today's stab-happy society I'm afraid.

Do you really want to risk your life for a disagreement over queue(s) for the till(s) in a supermarket?

Would it also be fair to say that when you were "brought up that way" - it was many years ago before knife crime was a significant problem it is today? In an era when the chances of your "opponent" carrying a blade was basically nil, unless they were actually a "hardened criminal" (hatchet harry lol)?

The world has changed. The way you were "brought up" doesn't fit in with today's stab-happy society I'm afraid.

Do you really want to risk your life for a disagreement over queue(s) for the till(s) in a supermarket?

I'm 30, not 60.

I'm 30, not 60.

And? Lots change in 30 years. I doubt anyone would disagree that knife crime is more prevalent today than 30 years ago.

I notice you still haven't answered my question though. I am genuinely interested to know...

It depends on your outlook really, I was also brought up to stand up for myself - but to me, that feels like a bit of a meaningless innuendo these days, which really just boils down to ones personal pride, rather than anything which is really going to help you.

As @Devilman points out, in today's world - standing up for yourself as a point of principle, can go badly wrong; https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-48967618 (I lived on the same road as the murderer)

Essentially, if you're cornered and have no other option other than violence - so be it, 'stand and bang' by all means. But if you have the option to deescalate, or walk away or both - those would be my recommended options, every time.

Edit;

I'd say, if I were to go back 16 years - my outlook would be identical to yours, however being booked into custody, covered in blood and seeing the overalls with 'HMP' written on, at the back of the custody suite, changed my entire outlook.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom